Rim recommendations for a 20"?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Nigey, May 17, 2003.

  1. Nigey

    Nigey Guest

    I'm looking for an online place to possibly purchase a 20" rim(to fit a Primo comet tyre of around
    20x1.25) -can anyone give recommendations? My usual resorts of Nashbar/Jenson/Pricepoint, etc don't
    appear to even sell 20" rims.

    Can anyone help? Thanks so much.....

    cheers

    Nige

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Nigey) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I'm looking for an online place to possibly purchase a 20" rim(to fit a Primo comet tyre of around
    > 20x1.25) -can anyone give recommendations? My usual resorts of Nashbar/Jenson/Pricepoint, etc
    > don't appear to even sell 20" rims.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks so much.....
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Nige

    I like http://www.gaerlan.com (currently has server errors) and http://www.danscomp.com is bmx
    only but has 20" stuff out the waz. Also http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/ is a good place to
    start a search.

    rorschandt

  3. Marc Webb

    Marc Webb Guest

    Hi, Try www.poweroncycling.com

    --
    ...Marc <-------

    e-mail: [email protected] AIM: kb1d "Nigey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for an online place to possibly purchase a 20" rim(to fit a Primo comet tyre of around
    > 20x1.25) -can anyone give recommendations? My usual resorts of Nashbar/Jenson/Pricepoint, etc
    > don't appear to even sell 20" rims.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks so much.....
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Nige

  4. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    Nigey wrote:
    > I'm looking for an online place to possibly purchase a 20" rim(to fit a Primo comet tyre of around
    > 20x1.25) -can anyone give recommendations? My usual resorts of Nashbar/Jenson/Pricepoint, etc
    > don't appear to even sell 20" rims.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks so much.....

    Sun makes a variety of very robust rims in the 20" (406mm ETRTO) size. The Sun CR18 should work well
    with a 20x1.25.

    http://www.sun-ringle.com/BMX.html

    http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/BMX/Rims/cr18bmx.html

    Velocity also makes numerous 406mm rims in an appropriate width for a 20x1.25 depending on your aero
    and weight needs.

    http://www.velocityusa.com/

    Alex also makes 406mm rims that would probably suit your needs. I think the DA16 is currently
    shipping on a lot of RANS and Vision bikes.

    http://www.alexrims.com/

    If you don't care about the aero qualities, and just want a strong rim, the Sun CR18 is a good
    choice. Otherwise you may want to check out the Velocity Aeroheat or Deep V, and the Alex DA16.

    Sun sells some of there rims online on their website, and Sheldon Brown has the Sun rims in 406mm.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims.html#406

    If you can't find the rims you want mail order, any good LBS should be able to get you Sun or
    Velocity rims, but I don't know how available Alex rims are. I've purchased most of my 406mm rims
    through a LBS since most online sources carry few if any rims in an appropriate width for a
    20x1.25 tire.

    Rick Moll

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Nigey) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for an online place to possibly purchase a 20" rim(to fit a Primo comet tyre of around
    > 20x1.25) -can anyone give recommendations? My usual resorts of Nashbar/Jenson/Pricepoint, etc
    > don't appear to even sell 20" rims.
    >
    > Can anyone help? Thanks so much.....

    I think Harris Cyclery will sell you anything out of the Quality Bicycle Products catalog:
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=RM8369

    Add my vote to the "Sun CR-18" crowd- it's my favorite rim.

    Jeff

  6. Nigey

    Nigey Guest

    Thanks so much for all the help.....

    I do need to get a new front rim (bashed it really hard). For now I hammered the bulge back into to
    place. It wasn't a big one, but one that caused the brakes to have a nasty pulsating effect.

    cheers

    Nige