rim replacement - ok to reuse nipples & spokes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sfcommuter, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. sfcommuter

    sfcommuter New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2004
    Trashed a rim (3 month old OpenPro) in a crash but I'm assuming rim replacement should be pretty striaght forward. According to some references I simply tape the new rim to the old and transfer all of the spokes one-by-one. Since the wheel is so new, I assuming it's ok for me to simply reuse the existing spokes and nipples, but if there are signs of wear I should look for that would suggest new spokes and/or nipples might be in order please let me know.

    Thanks for the help.

    Tags:

  2. someone wrote secretively:

    > Trashed a rim (3 month old OpenPro) in a crash but I'm assuming rim
    > replacement should be pretty straight forward. According to some
    > references I simply tape the new rim to the old and transfer all of the
    > spokes one-by-one. Since the wheel is so new, I assuming it's ok for me
    > to simply reuse the existing spokes and nipples, but if there are signs
    > of wear I should look for that would suggest new spokes and/or nipples
    > might be in order please let me know.

    There is no mystique in these components, only plain hardware. If the
    spoke nipples turn freely on the threads they can be reused. As you
    say, the stuff is new. Use it... but put a drop of oil in each rim
    hole and one on the threads of each spoke as you transfer them.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    sfcommuter wrote:
    > Trashed a rim (3 month old OpenPro) in a crash but I'm assuming rim
    > replacement should be pretty striaght forward. According to some
    > references I simply tape the new rim to the old and transfer all of the
    > spokes one-by-one. Since the wheel is so new, I assuming it's ok for me
    > to simply reuse the existing spokes and nipples, but if there are signs
    > of wear I should look for that would suggest new spokes and/or nipples
    > might be in order please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    just check for crash-related damage like nicks & scratches in the spokes
    - they could cause fatigue later. other than that, swap & ride! should
    be no problems.