Rim size

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Frank P. Patter, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Just rebuilt my front wheel (actually my LBS did). It was an AeroHead velocity measuring 451
    diameter. The new Aero rim is 462. What size tire is going to fit on this new rim? Where can I get a
    good, light tire that will work? I'll be seeing the LBS tomorrow about this, but they only carry df
    sizes. Zach, would you have anything to correct the problem?

    Frank

    Tags:

  2. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Sheldon Brown's Tire Size page doesn't show a 462 mm size.

    Did you measure the size , or was the rim marked as such. The reference size is the "bead diameter"
    and may not correspond to the actual outer diameter.

    In any event, 10 mm is not a big amount, about .040" , so a 451 should mount.

    Let's see what the experts say.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  3. Harv

    Harv Guest

    FWIW, a millimeter is .039". Ten mm would be .39 (about 3/8"). "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. Tom Blum wrote:

    > In any event, 10 mm is not a big amount, about .040" , so a 451 should mount.

    The maximum difference can get away with is 1-2 mm, as any unfortunate Brit stranded in Europe on
    630s might testify. The only interchangeable sizes I've personally come across are 540 (wheelchair
    size) and 541 (aka 600A).

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Did you measure the size , or was the rim marked as such. The reference size is the "bead
    > diameter" and may not correspond to the actual outer diameter.

    I think you mean "bead _seat_ diameter". Which is the inside diameter where the spokes punch holes
    in your inner tubes. An outside diameter of 462mm might be expected on a 451 rim.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Cletus wrote:
    >An outside diameter of 462mm might be expected on a 451 rim.

    Cletus is correct (assuming you measured the overall diameter). Your tires will fit just fine.

    Frank, how do you like those new wheels? I've been thinking about using the Aeroheat (406) for my front wheel.

    Cletus, if you read this...
    Did you find a hub to fit the fork on the Giro? Maybe I'll go with a Dura-Ace.