Rim strips, tape.

WillemJM

Sep 28, 2012
What do most here use.?
Over the years I have had most success with Michelin rim strips, but can't seem to find them any longer.
I have tried Velox, but with ultra light tubes and riding a lot of rollers, the tape wears through the tube after a while.

Velox. The solution to "wearing out" inner tubes on the trainer is to put heavier tubes in for that time of year. You don't gain anything with light tubes on a trainer.

I tried super-light tubes a long time ago (Continental Supersonic and the Tioga one), but ditched them after consistently getting weird "scuff mark" punctures. This was back when I was still addicted to 20mm tyres pumped up to 150psi, but I'm not sure how much difference that made. In my opinion, they're not worth it. I mean, the Continental Supersonics are about 53g, and a regular 'performance' tube is anywhere from 90g to 110g, so there's a lot of rubber missing from the light tubes. The Tiogas were about 70g.

Yep, i continued getting flats (at least 3 a week) that were small scuff marks, in the middle of which were teeny pinholes. I asked about it on a forum a long time ago, and got this reply:

"Very thin tubes make great demands on the rubber sheet, and sometimes you get a tube with those scuff marks. Scuffs 0.005" deep on an uninflated tube can propagate into pinholes at 150psi when the tube thickness starts out about 0.050" and goes to 0.025" thick at 150psi. I had a ~0.075" thick tube that had large numbers of tiny (3mm) scratches that looked like Nike swooshes, and I finally tossed it after the 7th patch. The damn thing would hold air all nite then go down 20miles into a ride, always at a new site. Stick with 90-120gram tubes and avoid the misery. Steve"

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

The tape wore through your inner tubes? I've never heard of that.
I have used Michelin Ultralight tubes 75g, with Michelin rim strips (the green ones) for years on all four my bikes, never had an issue. My bike that I train on most is also used twice a week on Kreitler rollers. I use 8 bar pressure always. 10 years ago, I tried Velox and the tubes scuffed through. A couple of months ago I rebuilt my back wheel, installed Velox again and about 1,200 miles later, same thing, tube scuffed through.

Can't find the green Michelin rim strips anywhere, I see Ritchey makes something which I will give a shot.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ritchey-snap-on-rim-strip-700c

I'm currently using Rox SuperDutE rim tape with Conti race light tubes, and so far no issues after 4000 miles. The Rox SuperDutE tape is very light and smooth (no scuffing), yet can handle high inflation pressure. I run my tires at 120 psi.