Rim Tape/ Cloth Tape?

Wally

Jun 28, 2003
Just purchased a new rim on line. It came without a rim tape. Seems most of the on line stores are out of stock this time of year.

I used to service motorcycles many years ago (when tube type spoked wheels were the norm) and when "official" Rim Tape was not available I used duct or cloth tape.

Does any one have any experiance with using regular cloth tape on a road wheel rim in place of Rim Tape?

Thanks Wally

The only difference between Velox and any regular cloth tape is the hole for the valve. As long as the tape you have is the right width, it will be fine.

when it comes to the pressure exerted by the tube on a road bike, the tube becomes angry and wants to poke the nearest sharp object, happens to be the spoke nipple. and oh yeah, lots of 'em in there.

then kind of puncture sustained from this leads to a rapid deflation. this can be a good test of your bike handling, esp descending at speed on the front.:eek:

a nusiance all round.

the french made velox will prevent this. get the narrow width stuff.
do not try to ignore this and get anything else. it has a devoted following for a reason.

there are lightweight rim strips out there, most in the know would never consider them as they have a poor track (er, road) record. they will puncture sooner or later.

Wally said:
Just purchased a new rim on line. It came without a rim tape. Seems most of the on line stores are out of stock this time of year.

I used to service motorcycles many years ago (when tube type spoked wheels were the norm) and when "official" Rim Tape was not available I used duct or cloth tape.

Does any one have any experiance with using regular cloth tape on a road wheel rim in place of Rim Tape?

Thanks Wally

Hypnospin said:
the french made velox will prevent this. get the narrow width stuff.
Nonsense!! Velox is available in 3 widths.Match the width to the rim.

Wally said:

Thanks Wally

I have used others but Velox seems to work and not split or leave as much residue as most alternatives.
KoolStop used to make an excellent alternative, but gave up making the stuff.
I also use Continetal Rim Tape in 2 different widths. It works as well or better than Velox because it doesn't have cloth and doesn't absorb moisture.
Recently I started using Veloplugs. They are plastic plugs that snap in 8 mm diameter holes. They work on most Velocity rims. They are lighter, less messy, and more durable than rim tape. Veloplugs also make installing and removing tires easier. However, they only work in 8 mm daimeter holes... and they are installed one at a time. If you need to replace a spoke, nipple access is easy as popping out the plug and replacing it... no messing with adhesives or pulling off 1/2 or some amount of tape to access the nipple.

wow, easy nipple access. this is being marketed to triathletes from what i have seen.

daveornee said:
I have used others but Velox seems to work and not split or leave as much residue as most alternatives.
KoolStop used to make an excellent alternative, but gave up making the stuff.
I also use Continetal Rim Tape in 2 different widths. I works as well or better than Velox because it doesn't have cloth and doesn't absorb moisture.
Recently I started using Veloplugs. They are plastic plugs that snap in 8 mm diameter holes. They work on most Velocity rims. They are lighter, less messy, and more durable than rim tape. Veloplugs also make installing and removing tires easier. However, they only work in 8 mm daimeter holes... and they are installed one at a time. If you need to replace a spoke, nipple access is easy as popping out the plug and replacing it... no messing with adhesives or pulling off 1/2 or some amount of tape to access the nipple.

Thanks for all of the quick replies. I found a quick and simple solution to the problem at hand. Took the VELOX rim tape off the old bent rim and the backing was still intact, installed it on the new wheel. Next weekend we RACE :)

Wally said:
Thanks for all of the quick replies. I found a quick and simple solution to the problem at hand. Took the VELOX rim tape off the old bent rim and the backing was still intact, installed it on the new wheel. Next weekend we RACE :)
In a pinch,electrical or strapping tape will work.