Rim (tape) job

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by 98gtw, Dec 9, 2003.

1. 98gtw

98gtw Guest

I flatted this morning while riding the rollers. Front tire went slowly, no careening off into the
    tool boxes. What I found was a pinhole in the rim side of the tube. The rim tape had sunk into the
    cutout for the spoke nipple and then opened enough to allow the tube to contact the nipple head.

I believe the tape is velox, definitely a woven cloth with adhesive backing. I looked it over and it
    seems all the spoke openings were dimpled and discolored (kinda brown). The spoke side of each
    dimple was littered with what looked like the shavings left after hacksawing a piece of PVC pipe.

I'm not sure if I've got a product problem or a procedural issue.

These are Sun M13 rims, running Primo Comets, 451 x 1-1/8, at 100-105 psi. I built the wheels last
    winter and have ridden them 1000-1500 miles.

What are your favorite rim liners, what process have you followed for installation? Did I do
    something wrong or miss a step in assembling my wheels?

TIA
    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

Tags:

2. "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I flatted this morning while riding the rollers. Front tire went slowly,
    no
    > careening off into the tool boxes. What I found was a pinhole in the rim side of the tube. The rim
    > tape had sunk into the cutout for the spoke nipple and then opened enough to allow the tube to
    > contact the nipple head.
    >
    > I believe the tape is velox, definitely a woven cloth with adhesive backing. I looked it over and
    > it seems all the spoke openings were dimpled and discolored (kinda brown). The spoke side of each
    > dimple was littered with what looked like the shavings left after hacksawing a piece of PVC pipe.
    >
    > I'm not sure if I've got a product problem or a procedural issue.
    >
    > These are Sun M13 rims, running Primo Comets, 451 x 1-1/8, at 100-105 psi. I built the wheels last
    > winter and have ridden them 1000-1500 miles.
    >
    > What are your favorite rim liners, what process have you followed for installation? Did I do
    > something wrong or miss a step in assembling my wheels?

My favorite - Velox. Thay never failed me.

Brown? Rot?

Could the litter be the glue after some nipplemassage (oops:)

Suggestion - donĀ“t think long and hard, just replace Velox, patch the hole and keep ridin' (bring
    patch kit)
    --
    Torben webmaster @ www.hpv-klub.dk Evita II SWB, Custom Challenge Focus Sport *Acrofobia*

3. "Torben Scheel" skrev...

> My favorite - Velox. Thay never failed me.

Me too.

> Brown? Rot?

Rust perhaps.

> Evita II SWB, Custom Challenge Focus Sport *Acrofobia*

Stuck the wheels on the M5 btw. About 69 cm seatheight but might have to fiddle a little to
    avoid it looking like the Dolce Vita or whatever that italian job with the pedals above
    noseheight was called.

Mikael

4. Something that has worked for me, and doesnt' require a trip to the Bike shop is good ole Duct Tape.
    I tear a strip wide enough to cover the spoke holes and stick it in. I've ridden wheels many
    thousands of miles with nary a failure. It ain't elegent but it works Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but
    not Broken"

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Torben Scheel" skrev...
    >
    > > My favorite - Velox. Thay never failed me.
    >
    > Me too.
    >
    > > Brown? Rot?
    >
    > Rust perhaps.
    >
    > > Evita II SWB, Custom Challenge Focus Sport *Acrofobia*
    >
    > Stuck the wheels on the M5 btw. About 69 cm seatheight but might have to fiddle a little to
    > avoid it looking like the Dolce Vita or whatever that italian job with the pedals above
    > noseheight was called.
    >
    > Mikael

5. bikebob

bikebob New Member

Velox rim liners are great, but like anything else can wear out. If you replace with velox brand make sure and get the correct width. I've also used filament tape with good results (tip from old cranky lbs owner).
    bob

6. I'd stick with the Velox if I were you.

Its the BEST, in my experience.

--
    Lewis.

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I flatted this morning while riding the rollers. Front tire went slowly,
    no
    > careening off into the tool boxes. What I found was a pinhole in the rim side of the tube. The rim
    > tape had sunk into the cutout for the spoke nipple and then opened enough to allow the tube to
    > contact the nipple head.
    >
    > I believe the tape is velox, definitely a woven cloth with adhesive backing. I looked it over and
    > it seems all the spoke openings were dimpled and discolored (kinda brown). The spoke side of each
    > dimple was littered with what looked like the shavings left after hacksawing a piece of PVC pipe.
    >
    >
    > These are Sun M13 rims, running Primo Comets, 451 x 1-1/8, at 100-105 psi. I built the wheels last
    >
    > What are your favorite rim liners, what process have you followed for installation? Did I do
    >
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

7. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Torben Scheel" skrev...
    >
    > > My favorite - Velox. Thay never failed me.
    >
    > Me too.
    >
    > > Brown? Rot?
    >
    > Rust perhaps.
    >

Rust or aged lubricant. That's what it looks like on mine.

Typically, if the spoke hole or socket poked a hole in the tube, your rim strip is too narrow. The
    rim strip needs to be wide enough (for your M13 rim) to cover the entire rim bed, from bead to bead.
    *Many* people (including me) make the mistake of applying Velox rim tape that's too narrow and
    leaves the sides of the rim sockets exposed.

Jeff

8. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

"Denny Voorhees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Something that has worked for me, and doesnt' require a trip to the Bike shop is good ole Duct
    > Tape. I tear a strip wide enough to cover the spoke holes and stick it in. I've ridden wheels many
    > thousands of miles with nary a failure. It ain't elegent but it works Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but
    > not Broken"

Another alternative is fiberglass reinforced strapping tape. It's easier and neater to rip
    lengthwise that duct tape, and it's thinner, too. This is an advantage with very narrow rims and
    "tight" tires.

Jeff

9. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Stuck the wheels on the M5 btw. About 69 cm seatheight but might have to fiddle a little to
    > avoid it looking like the Dolce Vita or whatever that italian job with the pedals above
    > noseheight was called.

Yogatrainer?

10. 98gtw

98gtw Guest

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote
    > Typically, if the spoke hole or socket poked a hole in the tube, your rim strip is too
    > narrow. Jeff

The tape was plenty wide, definitely covered from beadseat to beadseat. The discolored dimple and
    subsequent hole were centered in the tape.

--
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

11. Just zis Guy

Just zis Guy Guest

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:11:27 GMT, "Denny Voorhees"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

>Something that has worked for me, and doesnt' require a trip to the Bike shop is good ole Duct
    >Tape. I tear a strip wide enough to cover the spoke holes and stick it in. I've ridden wheels many
    >thousands of miles with nary a failure. It ain't elegent but it works

Tried that as an emergency repair but when inflating to 120psi it blows out. Velox for me.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

12. On 9 Dec 2003 21:46:24 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>Another alternative is fiberglass reinforced strapping tape. It's easier and neater to rip
    >lengthwise that duct tape, and it's thinner, too. This is an advantage with very narrow rims and
    >"tight" tires.
    >
    >Jeff

I had a rash of flats on a ride years ago due to a worn out and broken rim tape. We had stopped to
    repair my latest flat in a grocery store parking lot. A mechanic on the ride went into the grocery
    store and came back with a roll of 1/2" adhesive medical tape and a 1/2" roll of fiberglass
    reinforced strapping tape. He wrapped one layer of adhesive tape and then one layer of fiberglass
    tape on the rim. It worked so good, that 20+ years later, I'm still using this technique on every
    wheel (lots) on every bike that I own.

13. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote
    > > Typically, if the spoke hole or socket poked a hole in the tube, your rim strip is too
    > > narrow. Jeff
    >
    > The tape was plenty wide, definitely covered from beadseat to beadseat. The discolored dimple and
    > subsequent hole were centered in the tape.

Eeek! I've seen Velox tape dimple- but I've never, ever seen a hole or split in the center of the
    tape (aside from the valve hole, that is). That's in 25 years of wrenching on bikes.

Perhaps there was a protruding spoke or nipple swarf underneath the hole?

Jeff

14. Don

Don Guest

Dave, If you are not sure the tape is Velox then I seriously doubt that it is. All the Velox I have
    seen has "Velox" clearly printed the entire length of the tape. If your tape does not say Velox then
    it probably is an imitation or medical tape.

Velox is my first choice for tape for all of my bikes. Don

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I flatted this morning while riding the rollers. Front tire went slowly, no careening off into the
    > tool boxes. What I found was a pinhole in the rim side of the tube. The rim tape had sunk into the
    > cutout for the spoke nipple and then opened enough to allow the tube to contact the nipple head.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > TIA

15. Just zis Guy

Just zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:53:36 +0100, "Mikael Seierup"

>Btw Beeblebrox, your webpage seems to have gone titsup. Didn't you break your bananabike into a few
    >more pieces than God and Optima originally intended? Ever get a replacement?

My ISP have dropped the ball on domain transfer and I've not chased them up about it because
    chapmancentral.demon.co.uk seems to work (see .sig). They had some DNS problems this week, which
    could be causing issues right now. The story of the bent 'bent is on there - the long & short of it
    is that Optima replaced the frame and rear fork without demur, and were very prompt about it as
    well. I think I posted this hereabouts, but I could be wrong. It is now electric blue :)

My rear disc pulled off, and I now have a Hope hub on the back. It's called Obi-Wan, for obvious
    reasons ;-)

Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

16. GeoB

GeoB Guest

> Something that has worked for me, and doesnt' require a trip to the Bike shop is good ole Duct
    > Tape. I tear a strip wide enough to cover the spoke

I also have used duct tape, when I was a kid and didn't care about doing things right. I used to
    tear off lil squares of duct tape to put over the nipples (like they used to do in Hollywood), then
    I'd put the regular liner over all of that. I don't know why I did it, I just did it. :)

17. Just zis Guy

Just zis Guy Guest

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:53:36 +0100, "Mikael Seierup"

>Btw Beeblebrox, your webpage seems to have gone titsup.

On second thoughts - curses! You are right! Domino server crashed. Normal service will be resumed as
    soon as possible...

Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk