Rim tape on 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires

seawarrior

Apr 27, 2005
I need to know what kind of rim tape ships with the 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires. On mine, I have Velox (white w/ green lettering) in the front, but the tape in the back is red, and I can't figure out what kind of material it is. I'm considering switching the rim tape, but I'd like to know what's there first.

Can anyone who owns this bike help me out?

Thanks!!

seawarrior said:
I need to know what kind of rim tape ships with the 2004 Lemond Buenos Aires. On mine, I have Velox (white w/ green lettering) in the front, but the tape in the back is red, and I can't figure out what kind of material it is. I'm considering switching the rim tape, but I'd like to know what's there first.

Can anyone who owns this bike help me out?

Thanks!!
What difference does it make? The red stuff may be poylester and just as good as the velox. Otherwise if it bothers you just toss it and put on velox.

boudreaux said:
What difference does it make? The red stuff may be poylester and just as good as the velox. Otherwise if it bothers you just toss it and put on velox.
Boudreaux, the material used for rim tape makes a huge difference in my view, and it matters a great deal to me, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help. I don't know if the current set up bothers me because I don't know what the material is. And I don't want to replace it for no reason; that's why I'm asking for some useful help.

I also find it curious that the rim tape in the back is different from the rim tape in the front; this bike is factory fresh.

seawarrior said:
Boudreaux, the material used for rim tape makes a huge difference in my view, and it matters a great deal to me, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help. I don't know if the current set up bothers me because I don't know what the material is. And I don't want to replace it for no reason; that's why I'm asking for some useful help.

I also find it curious that the rim tape in the back is different from the rim tape in the front; this bike is factory fresh.
So maybe they ran out of one kind,and the velox is an upgrade for free.I have rim tape in all kinds and varieties. If it's cloth it hasn't been an issue. Some of the plastic stuff cracks and is nasty. I think you should hurry on down to LBS and get a roll of velox,then go ride.

seawarrior said:

Just to confirm. Boudreax is correct. All the stuff has to do is cover the holes and not break, warp, or crack. The old standard is Velox. Tried and True for generations. Probably the only thing I use.

BTW: Boudreax replied to my posting about choice on buying bikes. He thought $2700 sounded high for a road bike. I don't think he knows much since 2K-2.5K is pretty common in my area for a new rig.

sonomasp

I doubt that it was a random free upgrade. I've seen mis-matched rim tape on several factory wheel sets. Usually Velox in the front and some type of fiber reinforced plastic in the back. There's probably something to it, but I don't know exactly how these big Taiwanese factories go about their wheel building. It doesn't really matter though. I've heard of some weight weenies going so far as replacing the rim tape with electrical tape.

sonomasp said:
BTW: Boudreax replied to my posting about choice on buying bikes. He thought $2700 sounded high for a road bike. I don't think he knows much since 2K-2.5K is pretty common in my area for a new rig.

sonomasp
Actually boudreax knows alot. boudreax also tells it like it is, and often reality bites. Some people are fools and poseur's and spend more than they need to.Maybe you live in the poseur' district? You can buy alot of bike for $1500. That's not enough for a poseur' tho. Some peole don't think even $5000 is too high for a frame. What do I care.It's whatever spins your beanie and makes you feel good. Just don't look silly on it.

boudreaux said:
Actually boudreax knows alot. boudreax also tells it like it is, and often reality bites. Some people are fools and poseur's and spend more than they need to.Maybe you live in the poseur' district? You can buy alot of bike for $1500. That's not enough for a poseur' tho. Some peole don't think even $5000 is too high for a frame. What do I care.It's whatever spins your beanie and makes you feel good. Just don't look silly on it.

I won't vouch for how much Boudreaux knows or doesn't but for christ's sake it is f**king rim tape. I have found electrical tape wraped around in two layers works fine, and it is thin enough tire changes/flat repairs are just that much easier. Why does it even matter if one is different from the other, as long as your tubes aren't blowing out from the spoke nipples who cares :confused: ?

wilmar13 said:
I won't vouch for how much Boudreaux knows or doesn't but for christ's sake it is f**king rim tape. I have found electrical tape wraped around in two layers works fine, and it is thin enough tire changes/flat repairs are just that much easier. Why does it even matter if one is different from the other, as long as your tubes aren't blowing out from the spoke nipples who cares :confused: ?
bourdreaux couldn't have said it better. You'll do well here. ;)

boudreaux said:

Let me see if this is poseurs district. We have a Two Time top 10 finisher of the Tour De France living here. Some guy named Levi. A TDF podium finisher by the last nae Julich lived here. Several current and former Webcor, Saturn and Prime Alliance riders. A Former Junior World Mountain Bike Champion. Some guy with the last name Gaggioli, couple of renowned builders Soulcraft, Sycip, Ibis, Bruce Gordon, Joe Breeze. And a famous place down the road in Marin, Mt Tamalpais where a couple of guys, Fisher, Ritchey, Cunningham, and Potts started making these funny bikes to ride in the dirt. Oh yeah there was that race the Coors Classic came through here, as did Motorola, know who they became.

So is this poseursville??

boudreaux said:

boudreaux knows very much. boudreaux can quote you spacing on many cogsets. boudreaux can tell you that you are very silly. boudreaux knows when you are full of hooey. boudreaux is very proud of what he knows. boudreaux almost certainly knows more than you do about technicalities. you, however, know very much more about what you like. take good advice, consider it, and then do what makes you happy. loving cycling is a lot more than the minutia of components. while it may be silly to spend too much, it's not wrong. buy what makes you happy.

it's okay to be a "poser." i don't care if a 350 lbs guy shows up at my group ride wearing a US postal yellow jersey sitting on a custom made Ti frame stacked with yet-to-be-released Campy components. I only care if that guy insults my ride. Ride what you want and ignore the losers who insist that you are a poser. it's your hobby. enjoy it.

boudreaux tells you not to look silly on your bike. i say screw what anyone else thinks and just ride.

Man we go through this **** at least once a week (I think Georgie was the latest) and it's getting old (still amusing though). Some newbie comes into the group and is "offended" by Sydney Boudreaux's tone and then starts whining about hurt feelings, misplaced anger and unresolved teenage angst. Jesus F*uckin H. Christ, call Okra Winfrey or Dr. Phil if you want a shoulder to cry on. We've all been flamed by the resident curmedgeon, but we've also greatly benefited from his vast knowledge of cycling. Hey, isn't that why we're here in the first place? If you want some kumbaya with your latte hang out at the local coffee shop. He just flamed me the other day for something I posted, no skin off my sack cuz I learned something. Still have a problem even contemplating how an anonymous person at the other end of a cat-5 cable can possible **** someone off. Remember that old kid line? "Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Git R Done.....

Maybe we should add this to the FAQs:

Q: Boudreuax ****** me off, what should I do?
A: Nothing, just shut up and take his advice.

Oh yeah by the way; it's only rim tape!!!!

capwater said:
Man we go through this **** at least once a week (I think Georgie was the latest) and it's getting old (still amusing though). Some newbie comes into the group and is "offended" by Sydney Boudreaux's tone and then starts whining about hurt feelings, misplaced anger and unresolved teenage angst. Jesus F*uckin H. Christ, call Okra Winfrey or Dr. Phil if you want a shoulder to cry on. We've all been flamed by the resident curmedgeon, but we've also greatly benefited from his vast knowledge of cycling. Hey, isn't that why we're here in the first place? If you want some kumbaya with your latte hang out at the local coffee shop. He just flamed me the other day for something I posted, no skin off my sack cuz I learned something. Still have a problem even contemplating how an anonymous person at the other end of a cat-5 cable can possible **** someone off. Remember that old kid line? "Sticks and stone may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Git R Done.....

Oh yeah by the way; it's only rim tape!!!!
Good one. boudreaux will be chuckling all day. Good to see some people really do get it. ;)

capwater said:

nice one! ;)

I wonder why wheelsets have different rim tape for the front .vs the back when shipped from the factory. I also wonder if Bontrager installed the rim tape or if Lemond did it... I also wasn't aware that rim tape can be made of polyester.

I've had bad experiences with rim tape in the past; some pretty serious crashes due to rim tape failure, so I'm interested in the topic. In my view it's a critical component (everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion!) :)

There must be some reason for them to install different rim tape in the front and back. Does anyone know?

seawarrior said:
I wonder why wheelsets have different rim tape for the front .vs the back when shipped from the factory. I also wonder if Bontrager installed the rim tape or if Lemond did it... I also wasn't aware that rim tape can be made of polyester.

I've had bad experiences with rim tape in the past; some pretty serious crashes due to rim tape failure, so I'm interested in the topic. In my view it's a critical component (everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion!) :)

There must be some reason for them to install different rim tape in the front and back. Does anyone know?

Since most of your weight is placed over the rear wheel there is less strain on the front rim strip. They use a thinner one in the front to reduce weight. This is rotational weight so it makes a noticeable difference in acceleration and climbing speed.

wilmar13 said:
Since most of your weight is placed over the rear wheel there is less strain on the front rim strip. They use a thinner one in the front to reduce weight. This is rotational weight so it makes a noticeable difference in acceleration and climbing speed.
That makes sense. However, the rim tape that I have on the rear wheel seems to be of inferior quality. The good stuff is on the front, and I don't know what that is on the rear. It's red, has no lettering, and it's kinda silky. I don't think it's plastic, and it's not rubber. But it's certainly thinner then the Velox. And, while the spoke holes are covered (barely), there's some concave dimpling in the spoke holes.

seawarrior said:

Maybe because you go forward with your rear tire and that most of the pressure is on that wheel ... duh... if you don't feel safe about your rim tape just change the damn thing or put another one on top of it...

long live Boudreaux!

oh and BTW many taiwanese pbly don't give a damn about wath bike they are building so your rim tape might even be some Chinese version of Fruit-O-Long. Don't ask questions and trust it or not...

wilmar13 said:

LOL...that is funny! Even funnier is that seawarrior thought you were serious.

Best laugh I've had today....thanks.

seawarrior said:
That makes sense. However, the rim tape that I have on the rear wheel seems to be of inferior quality. The good stuff is on the front, and I don't know what that is on the rear. It's red, has no lettering, and it's kinda silky. I don't think it's plastic, and it's not rubber. But it's certainly thinner then the Velox. And, while the spoke holes are covered (barely), there's some concave dimpling in the spoke holes.
Even the good cloth tape dimples after a while. It's not something to lose sleep over.