Rim Upgrades, Pantour Hub Pro/Con & Vel Thracians

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Larry Raphael, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Read the recent Velocity Thracian posts and found interesting especially since I am now considering
    them as well. Here's the story:

    I have over 6000 miles on my Velocity Razors. I just replaced two spokes on the front 20" rim. rim
    was still in pretty good alignment even with the broken spokes...but I am starting to strongly
    consider new rims and maybe new gears and chain to go with them as well.

    1) What about the pro and the con to the Pantour hubs ? I want to know both so be honest - nothing
    is perfect and so I like to weigh the good with the bad. I know some that have them but most have
    not logged many miles on them yet. Are they prone to elastomer replacements and extra maintenance
    of the hubs ? Any shorter lifespan on their hubs vs XT, etc hubs ? It is recommended to have
    Pantour do any rim/spoke/hub work since those I have talked to purchased the rims and hub from
    Pantour ? How much difference do they really make, afterall, most recumbents have cushy seats
    isn't there a wimp factor that needs to be considered since at most they have is a 1/2' or
    slightly more travel and cushgy seats and/or wider tires would accomplish same ?

    I'm leaning toward the Velocity Thracian hubs with either the Stelvio or Grand Prix narrow tires
    (same tires I have been used to using). I am leaning toward not getting the Pantour hubs since I
    feel the new rims would be a nice upgrade compared to my Razors and so what you all think ?

    Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #02 (Dec 1999), Metallic Blue Oakton, Virginia

    and will be at the Seagull Century with my Velocity Razors.

    Tags:

  2. My 451 Pantour front hub (on my Ti Rush) has been terrific. It's lightweight, smoothes out rough
    patches BUT is not a full suspension by any means. I ride on Stelvios @ 120-140 front, rear.

    I believe that Barcroft now urges new Dakota & Virginia buyers to order them as extras on new bikes.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel NOT in Gainesville FL "Larry Raphael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Read the recent Velocity Thracian posts and found interesting es.pecially since I am now
    > considering them as well. Here's the story:
    >
    > I have over 6000 miles on my Velocity Razors. I just replaced two spokes on the front 20" rim. rim
    > was still in pretty good alignment even with the broken spokes...but I am starting to strongly
    > consider new rims and maybe new gears and chain to go with them as well.
    >
    > 1) What about the pro and the con to the Pantour hubs ? I want to know both so be honest - nothing
    > is perfect and so I like to weigh the good with the bad. I know some that have them but most
    > have not logged many miles on them yet. Are they prone to elastomer replacements and extra
    > maintenance of the hubs ? Any shorter lifespan on their hubs vs XT, etc hubs ? It is
    > recommended to have Pantour do any rim/spoke/hub work since those I have talked to purchased
    > the rims and hub from Pantour ? How much difference do they really make, afterall, most
    > recumbents have cushy seats isn't there a wimp factor that needs to be considered since at most
    > they have is a 1/2' or slightly more travel and cushgy seats and/or wider tires would
    > accomplish same ?
    >
    > I'm leaning toward the Velocity Thracian hubs with either the Stelvio or Grand Prix narrow tires
    > (same tires I have been used to using). I am leaning toward not getting the Pantour hubs since I
    > feel the new rims would be a nice upgrade compared to my Razors and so what you all think ?
    >
    > Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #02 (Dec 1999), Metallic Blue Oakton, Virginia
    >
    > and will be at the Seagull Century with my Velocity Razors.

  3. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    >I'm leaning toward the Velocity Thracian hubs with either the Stelvio or Grand
    Prix narrow tires (same tires I have been used to using).>>

    I purchased a set of the Thracian wheels from Jude the Wheel Dr. for my V2. Great wheels! However, I
    am running wider tires than you're considering, a Comp Pool on the front, and a Hutchinson 1.2"
    slick on the rear. Still very fast.

    Norm

  4. Devon

    Devon Guest

    [email protected] (Akensmith) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I'm leaning toward the Velocity Thracian hubs with either the Stelvio or Grand
    > Prix narrow tires (same tires I have been used to using).>>
    >
    > I purchased a set of the Thracian wheels from Jude the Wheel Dr. for my V2. Great wheels! However,
    > I am running wider tires than you're considering, a Comp Pool on the front, and a Hutchinson 1.2"
    > slick on the rear. Still very fast.
    >
    > Norm

    I now have over 6000 miles on Pantours (front only). The 1st hub was one of their early products and
    had problems. They worked very to correct it and eventually replaced it at their expense.. That
    replacement hub (Bontrager Maverick rim built by Pantour)had 2000 mile on it when I sold the bike.
    My current hub (Velocity Aero-Heat built by Pantour) has 3000 miles since May and I just replaced
    the elastomer ... again at Pantour's expense. I am NOT a bike mechanic and had no difficulty
    replacing the elastomer myself.

    I ride long miles (50-80 mile days on several supported tours each summer and many weekend event
    rides). While it is not built for off-road use, and RR tracks still feel like RR tracks, the hub
    removes the harshness of road seams, patches, etc. For long days in the saddle they are a godsend
    and they do help maintain contact over high spedd road imperfections.

    I will likely never buy another bike without a Pantour front hub.

    DeVon Vision 44.5 USS/Pantour

  5. Bill G

    Bill G Guest

    DeVon, Ever have a problem with the brake pads hanging on the rim when the hub compresses? bill g

    DeVon wrote:

    > [email protected] (Akensmith) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >I'm leaning toward the Velocity Thracian hubs with either the Stelvio or Grand
    > > Prix narrow tires (same tires I have been used to using).>>
    > >
    > > I purchased a set of the Thracian wheels from Jude the Wheel Dr. for my V2. Great wheels!
    > > However, I am running wider tires than you're considering, a Comp Pool on the front, and a
    > > Hutchinson 1.2" slick on the rear. Still very fast.
    > >
    > > Norm
    >
    > I now have over 6000 miles on Pantours (front only). The 1st hub was one of their early products
    > and had problems. They worked very to correct it and eventually replaced it at their expense..
    > That replacement hub (Bontrager Maverick rim built by Pantour)had 2000 mile on it when I sold the
    > bike. My current hub (Velocity Aero-Heat built by Pantour) has 3000 miles since May and I just
    > replaced the elastomer ... again at Pantour's expense. I am NOT a bike mechanic and had no
    > difficulty replacing the elastomer myself.
    >
    > I ride long miles (50-80 mile days on several supported tours each summer and many weekend event
    > rides). While it is not built for off-road use, and RR tracks still feel like RR tracks, the hub
    > removes the harshness of road seams, patches, etc. For long days in the saddle they are a godsend
    > and they do help maintain contact over high spedd road imperfections.
    >
    > I will likely never buy another bike without a Pantour front hub.
    >
    > DeVon Vision 44.5 USS/Pantour

    --
    His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without
    Cling Free.