rim wear and tear on trainer

jrstevens

Dec 22, 2004
Just wondering if riding the trainer causes any appreciable wear and tear on rims. I know the tires and cassette will experience some but how do rims fare. I suspect it would be low but if anyone knows or has an idea please respond.

James

jrstevens said:
Just wondering if riding the trainer causes any appreciable wear and tear on rims. I know the tires and cassette will experience some but how do rims fare. I suspect it would be low but if anyone knows or has an idea please respond.

James
If nothing is touching the rim, it cannot wear. The depression of the tyre on the roller may impose some very minor fatigue stressing but nothing that will destroy your rims.

You won't experience any more wear & tear on a trainer vs on the road.

I've been using a trainer of years & never had any issues.

Your rims will be fine. But mount a cheap tire on the rear wheel because it will surely get torn up at the contact point by the end of the winter from the friction of the flywheel.

jrstevens said:

James

carbonguru said:
Your rims will be fine. But mount a cheap tire on the rear wheel because it will surely get torn up at the contact point by the end of the winter from the friction of the flywheel.

You can even get tires that are specifically made for riding a trainer. Haven't seen one, but I'm willing to bet, that it's an ultra durable tire with no puncture resistance what so ever. :)

Strid said:
You can even get tires that are specifically made for riding a trainer. Haven't seen one, but I'm willing to bet, that it's an ultra durable tire with no puncture resistance what so ever. :)
thanks for all the input. I'm actually using an old Michelin Carbon from 2 seasons ago. I actually like the old Carbons better than the new Krylion Carbon model. Continental makes a trainer specific tire that I see Excel Sports in Boulder carries. Thanks again.

JS

The conti trainer tire is great. Problem is that you can't ride it on the road. It seems like it will last forever, and i've been told i can expect over 5,000 miles on it, that's more than i'll put on the trainer in a while, so it's worth the 50 bucks. I used to get black crud all over the floor and trainer when using other tires, none of that which is nice, i also would only get a few months out of a tire on the trainer, and after just a few rides i wouldn't feel comfortable taking it out on the road anyway because of that flat spot that was worn in the tire. Get the right tool for the job and you will be happy.

Strid said:
the tire is by continental and it's bright yellow. it's costly though.

I use a steel beaded tire ($15 or $20). been using the same tire for a couple years now. due to work I train year round on the trainer, typically 1-1.5 hours at a time, max rides are 3-4 hours. I even use the tire outside although it's really slow.

my trainer has an indent where the tire sits - the roller is worn.

in the past I've used cut tires to use them up but now I just toss them. if you have a cut tire, put in some folded up tube box cardboard and pump it up. works fine if you don't put too much cardboard.

in an emergency it works on the road but the box will eventually break if it gets wet.

I use the Minoura trainer with the Rim Drive Technology whiz bang something or other.
It has two wheels like roller blades that run on the side of the rims and therefore there is no contact or wear with the rear tyre at all.