Rim wear

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Brian Drury, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Brian Drury

    Brian Drury Guest

    Probably an old question but,

    My rear wheel is Mavic D521. The rim is not flat, it appears to have been
    worn by the brake. Both bikes seem to have the same shape which is odd as
    one gets far more wear.

    An image here shows what I mean:

    http://www.brian.drury.dsl.pipex.com/images/wheel01.jpg

    Maybe the explanation is that these wheels have dished rims. The front Mavic
    X618 rims are flat.

    The remaining material is 2mm thick. Tyres 80 psi.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Brian

    Tags:

  2. Tilly

    Tilly Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:33:19 -0000, "Brian Drury"
    <briandotdruryatdsldotpipexdotcom> wrote:

    >http://www.brian.drury.dsl.pipex.com/images/wheel01.jpg
    >
    >Maybe the explanation is that these wheels have dished rims. The front Mavic
    >X618 rims are flat.
    >
    >The remaining material is 2mm thick. Tyres 80 psi.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Mine are the same. Perhaps it gives added strength - less likely to
    buckle.

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Brian Drury" <briandotdruryatdsldotpipexdotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Probably an old question but,
    >
    > My rear wheel is Mavic D521. The rim is not flat, it appears to have been
    > worn by the brake. Both bikes seem to have the same shape which is odd as
    > one gets far more wear.

    It is worn. IME mtb rears wear quicker than fronts, possibly as a result of
    crap getting thrown onto the rear wheel from the front.
    Unless it's a modernish rim with a wear indicator milled into the inside
    (which wears through first creating a window in the rim) then it's
    difficult to know what safety margin is left.
    But be assured there is a point when the rim will fail, catastrophically but
    outside his house in a friends case and in my case cracks were spotted when
    washing the bike :-(

    Pete

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Brian Drury wrote:
    > Probably an old question but,
    >
    > My rear wheel is Mavic D521. The rim is not flat, it appears to have been
    > worn by the brake. Both bikes seem to have the same shape which is odd as
    > one gets far more wear.
    >
    > An image here shows what I mean:
    >
    > http://www.brian.drury.dsl.pipex.com/images/wheel01.jpg
    >
    > Maybe the explanation is that these wheels have dished rims. The front Mavic
    > X618 rims are flat.
    >
    > The remaining material is 2mm thick. Tyres 80 psi.

    It's wear. I have a pair and they have also worn. Not particularly long
    lasting IMHO

    ...d

  5. > But be assured there is a point when the rim will fail,

    catastrophically but

    I have always been frightened of this.Fortunately some other major
    problem has happened first to cause me to scrap the rims.

    10days ago I met a man in Buxton on a Harry Hall frame 531+/_ 20yrs old
    with the rear rim completely worn through so that the inner tube and
    edge of tyre were clearly visible for a 4cm by 2mm strip with a trench
    out to the rim edge which had gone for 3mm.

    He said he was thinking of getting a new wheel.

    When I last saw him he was planning to cycle back to warrington via
    the cat and fiddle to macclesfield, which would test anyone's brakes.

    Anyone here know if he made it?

    TerryJ

  6. On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:16:27 +0100, "Peter B" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    My Mavic D521 wore out after 10,000 plus miles, I noticed some minor
    hairline cracks in them and discovered the rims were that thin I could
    put my fingernails through them. They had still kept their integrity
    though and were straight and true.

    Previous wheel a Mavic X or D 313 I think the side bellied out

    I was that pleased with the D521 I've just purchased another pair

    Merlin Cycles Mavic D521, Deore hubs, DT spokes, freehub body and QR
    skewers £56 the pair including delivery

  7. Brian Drury wrote:
    > Probably an old question but,
    >
    > My rear wheel is Mavic D521. The rim is not flat, it appears to have been
    > worn by the brake. Both bikes seem to have the same shape which is odd as
    > one gets far more wear.
    >
    > An image here shows what I mean:
    >
    > http://www.brian.drury.dsl.pipex.com/images/wheel01.jpg
    >
    > Maybe the explanation is that these wheels have dished rims. The front Mavic
    > X618 rims are flat.
    >
    > The remaining material is 2mm thick. Tyres 80 psi.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    As a follow-up to your question. How long should a rim last?

    I bought a pair of Mavic crosslanders, for my mountain bike, at the
    beginning of the year and there is already a noticable concavity (?) to
    the rim. I fitted good quality new brake blocks with the new wheels,
    have probably covered about 1000 miles on them, clean the rims once a
    week, and inflate to around 80 - 100 psi.

    Is this reasonable wear?

    This is my commuting bike so I don't want to have to clean the rims
    every day but replacing the wheels each year would also seem excessive.

    Many thanks,

    Gordon

  8. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Gordon Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > As a follow-up to your question. How long should a rim last?
    >
    > I bought a pair of Mavic crosslanders, for my mountain bike, at the
    > beginning of the year and there is already a noticable concavity (?) to
    > the rim. I fitted good quality new brake blocks with the new wheels,

    What sort of brake blocks? Some are definitely much nastier to rims than
    others. I find the grey aztec ones are nice to rims, as are the pink/salmon
    kool stop ones. Shimano ones eat rims IME.

    cheers,
    clive

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Gordon Taylor wondered:
    > As a follow-up to your question. How long should a rim last?
    >
    > I bought a pair of Mavic crosslanders, for my mountain bike, at the
    > beginning of the year and there is already a noticable concavity (?) to
    > the rim. I fitted good quality new brake blocks with the new wheels,
    > have probably covered about 1000 miles on them, clean the rims once a
    > week, and inflate to around 80 - 100 psi.
    >
    > Is this reasonable wear?

    What sort of brake blocks? Some will cause more rim wear than others.

    Front or rear rim? The front rim is likely to be subject to more
    braking, so will probably wear more quickly. Is it mostly ridden on or
    off road?

    For comparison, I use Aztec blocks and ride almost exclusively on paved
    surfaces. I replaced my last rear rim (a 26" Mavic F519) after 2500
    miles, due to marked concavity of the rim. I replaced the previous rear
    rim (also a Mavic F519) after 3200 miles, and I probably would have done
    at least another 500 miles on that rim if I hadn't needed a new hub,
    meaning that I just built a complete new wheel.

    My front rims are smaller (20") and subject to more braking, so should
    wear faster. But I think they may also have thicker walls. I use
    Schurmann DoubleMaster rims. The current rim has done 3200 miles and
    there is no noticeable concavity yet. The previous rim did 4800 miles.

    > This is my commuting bike so I don't want to have to clean the rims
    > every day but replacing the wheels each year would also seem excessive.

    Ditto. I commute all year round on the same bike and probably clean the
    rims once or twice a month. I run my tyres at 100psi.