rim width

I ride 700c wheels with 27 wide tires. I see rims 19.4, 19.6, 20.0, and 20.2
wide. I know there are other rims wider, and some not as wide. Of the above
listed widths, is there any difference that one should consider or be concerned
about - all else being equal?

(remove clothes to reply)

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride 700c wheels with 27 wide tires. I see rims 19.4, 19.6, 20.0, and

20.2
> wide. I know there are other rims wider, and some not as wide. Of the

above
> listed widths, is there any difference that one should consider or be

concerned
> about - all else being equal?
>
> (remove clothes to reply)

I have exactly the right information to answer your question but I'm not
going to because I don't want to remove my clothes to reply.

Marty

B said:
I ride 700c wheels with 27 wide tires. I see rims 19.4, 19.6, 20.0, and 20.2
wide. I know there are other rims wider, and some not as wide. Of the above
listed widths, is there any difference that one should consider or be concerned
about - all else being equal?

(remove clothes to reply)

The ~5% difference range of widths won't make any considerable difference.
Inside width is what tires care about.
From Sheldon Brown's article on tires:
"Although you can use practically any tire/rim combination that shares the same bead seat diameter, it is unwise to use widely disparate sizes.
If you use a very narrow tire on a wide rim, you risk pinch flats and rim damage from road hazards.

If you use a very wide tire on a narrow rim, you risk sidewall or rim failure. This combination causes very sloppy handling at low speeds. Unfortunately, current mountain-bike fashion pushes the edge of this. In the interest of weight saving, most current mountain bikes have excessively narrow rims. Such narrow rims work very poorly with wide tires, unless the tires are overinflated...but that defeats the purpose of wide tires, and puts undue stress on the rim sidewalls."
Aritcle located at URL:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html>

Marty Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have exactly the right information to answer your question but I'm not
> going to because I don't want to remove my clothes to reply.

i don't particuliarly want you to either marty but if you do please post a
url and not an attachment.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]