Rims and braking

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by YannisG, Feb 22, 2010.

1. YannisG

YannisG New Member

Recently I exchanged a Shimano rear wheel for a bontrager wheel. Braking was much better with the Bontrager wheel. I then removed the glaze from the Shimano brake pads with sandpaper, but the difference remained. Both rims have slight (barely detectable) grooves on the wheel's braking surface. Both rims are aluminum. Does anyone have any recommendations or any ideas for cleaning the rim's braking surface other than using Scotts-brite or fine sandpaper.

Thanks in advance,
    YannisG

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Go to an ART SUPPLY store and get a NIJI eraser ...

No promises.

3. YannisG

YannisG New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    YannisG

4. genedan

genedan New Member

rubbing alcohol

5. kausbose

kausbose New Member

Okay here's a thought. Which is the newer wheel? The Bontrager or the Shimano? The thicknesses of wheels are not exactly identical, esp. from different manufacturers. I have a DT Swiss set and a Bontrager set. Everytime that I switch to the DT Swiss's from Bontrager I have to tighten the brake screws a bit to achieve the same level of braking. And when I put the Bontragers back on and close the brakes the brake shoes actually clamp on the Bontrager wheels. Thus my point here was that the Bontrager wheels are slightly thicker that the DT Swiss wheels. So I would try playing with the brake tension as well and see if that helps.