Rims and spokes needed for powertap wheel

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
I currently train on black Mavic Aksium wheels but I'm now looking to buy the Elite+ powertap hub.

Can anyone recommend some suitably good black rims and black spokes, which would sort of match the front wheel of th Aksium set? Most of the pre-built powertap wheels come with silver rims and spokes which would stand out a bit. Somebody once told me down the LBS that silver spokes are better than black ones. Is this true or just a myth?

Thanks

sergen said:
I currently train on black Mavic Aksium wheels but I'm now looking to buy the Elite+ powertap hub.

Can anyone recommend some suitably good black rims and black spokes, which would sort of match the front wheel of th Aksium set? Most of the pre-built powertap wheels come with silver rims and spokes which would stand out a bit. Somebody once told me down the LBS that silver spokes are better than black ones. Is this true or just a myth?

Thanks
Mavic Open Pro in black (28, 32, 36 hole) with double eyelit and DT Competition Spokes in black, with black brass nipples. Lace it 3 cross both sides.

It will look nothing like a Mavic Askium as it doesn't have thick aluminium spokes, rather butted round steel spokes, and it will have more spokes than the Askium. But the colours will 'match'.

And then you can upgrade the front to a Dura-Ace 7801 or similar hub with DT Competition spokes laced radially to a black mavic open pro.

Kinlin Niobium Rim is black with no decals. I think DT Swiss Competition spokes come in black and you could get DT Swiss black nipples.

Here is what my PT wheel looks like with a 30mm rim.

sergen said:

Thanks

Velocity Fusion rim, black DT comp spokes, black brass nipples, built well, of course.

Black spokes are colored silver ones, neither is better or worse.