Rims, hubs and spokes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by GuyStevens, Mar 2, 2004.

1. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

I used to have a light-weight clincher wheelset composed of Hope titanium hubs (British make), Mavic Reflex rims and DT Revolution spokes.

I sold these a couple of years ago and would like to build something similar again. Do Mavic still make the Reflex? Any hub recommendations (Shimano 9-spd)? If anything is available in black that would be the icing on the cake. Thanks all.

Tags:

2. darkboong

darkboong New Member

Yes, it appears Mavic do still make Reflex rims. Take a look at www.mavic.com. It's a real pig's ear of a website, but you can eventually find out what they make.

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Mavic's Reflex of today is a tubular rim.
    See:
    http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/road-prod_fiche?product.id=58&lg=uk
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/2t6tw
    The light weight clincher (wired on) rim in Mavic's line today is the OpenPro. OpenPro is available in black.
    Velocity Aerohead is lighter and also available in all black (no eyelets)
    The lightest Shimano 9 speed today is DURA ACE 7700. DURA ACE is not available in black.
    DT still makes Revolution spokes and they are available in black.
    DT makes black Alloy Nipples.
    Hope, Hugi, and Chris King all make Shimano 9 Speed compatible hubs that are slightly lighter than Shimano. Hope and Chris King are available in Black.

4. crystal_tears_

crystal_tears_ New Member

If you want ultra light hubs then Hugi 240 and FRM hubs are top notch. The Hugi's are available in black. Sapim CX Ray spokes also have an excellent reputation.

5. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

Will these spokes fit all hubs? I'm sure I read a user review stating they had to take a file to their Hope's in order to expand the holes so that they could fit.

6. drewjc

drewjc New Member

a couple of thoughts,

-cx-ray should fit as they r very low profile blades, i have built wheels without slotting hubs.

-rims choices could include campag montreal and velocity razor aswell as the others above. Not sure about colours but im quite sure the velocity razors have an offset rear rim option if u so desire, while the montreals are virtually the same rim as the neutron wheel sets but maybe not in black when bought as a rim only.

-not too knowledgable on hubs but the Hugi ones in the magazine ads look very schmick and i am sure they come in black aswell.

Have fun and good luck making a decision! keep us posted on ur results

7. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member

I've settled on the following components:

Hope Mono and Mono Titanium hubs (I considered the Chris King's but I cannot source a UK distributor and no doubt the $ price would simply be converted to £'s), along with their titanium skewers.

Mavic Open Pro rims (the Ritchey Aero Pro and OCR front and rears are lighter and more aerodynamic but again, I cannot source them in the UK).

DT Revolution spokes (at £45 for 20, the Sapim CX Ray's are not worth it). My local wheelbuilder has warned me away from the Revolutions because they flex too much and do not stay true. Can anyone verify this? I can't remember how my old wheels rode.

So, my final question is: at 68kg are 28 spokes OK? These are going to be race wheels for hilly courses only.

Many thanks for the advice already given.

8. GuyStevens

GuyStevens New Member