Rims & Tyres

Don Whybrow

Guest
As I made my way home on Friday I manage to get a puncture after a
ridiculously short time on my new bike (I only got it at the start of
last month and I was not able to ride it for 2 weeks as I was away from
home)

Needless to say I am not impressed with the current tyre and have been
looking around for a suitable replacement (preferably one of the
Schwalbe Marathon range)

The rims are Alexrims TD16, but looking at their website I can only find
TD17's which look similar. They have the following size information:

SIZE: 26" 559x17 32/36H 505G

The outer & inner rim widths are shown as 23.9 & 16.9

The tyres as fitted are Continental Sport Contact's with imperial
dimension of 26 x 1.6 & ETRTO of 42-559

Looking at the Schwalbe website shows the following possible matches...

MARATHON PLUS:
ETRTO Inch
35-559 26 x 1.35
47-559 26 x 1.75

MARATHON:
ETRTO Inch
40-559 26 x 1.50
47-559 26 x 1.75

MARATHON SLICK:
ETRTO Inch
35-559 26 x 1.35
47-559 26 x 1.75

Although they all match the bead seat diameter of 559, was 42 the
correct size for an inner rim width of 16.9?
If so should I aim to go under or over it?
If not, what would be a closer match?
Does it matter too much?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service,
which failed to start because of the following error: The
operation completed successfully." (Windows NT Server v3.51)

Don

I believe that Conti Contact Sports are guaranteed against punctures for a
year from fitting. Hence they should provide a free replacement.

I have been running with them for some time on my trike and have had no
problems

Regards

Rod King

"Don Whybrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I made my way home on Friday I manage to get a puncture after a
> ridiculously short time on my new bike (I only got it at the start of
> last month and I was not able to ride it for 2 weeks as I was away from
> home)
>
> Needless to say I am not impressed with the current tyre and have been
> looking around for a suitable replacement (preferably one of the
> Schwalbe Marathon range)
>
> The rims are Alexrims TD16, but looking at their website I can only find
> TD17's which look similar. They have the following size information:
>
> SIZE: 26" 559x17 32/36H 505G
>
> The outer & inner rim widths are shown as 23.9 & 16.9
>
> The tyres as fitted are Continental Sport Contact's with imperial
> dimension of 26 x 1.6 & ETRTO of 42-559
>
> Looking at the Schwalbe website shows the following possible matches...
>
> MARATHON PLUS:
> ETRTO Inch
> 35-559 26 x 1.35
> 47-559 26 x 1.75
>
> MARATHON:
> ETRTO Inch
> 40-559 26 x 1.50
> 47-559 26 x 1.75
>
> MARATHON SLICK:
> ETRTO Inch
> 35-559 26 x 1.35
> 47-559 26 x 1.75
>
> Although they all match the bead seat diameter of 559, was 42 the
> correct size for an inner rim width of 16.9?
> If so should I aim to go under or over it?
> If not, what would be a closer match?
> Does it matter too much?
>
> --
> Don Whybrow
>
> Sequi Bonum Non Time
>
> "The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service,
> which failed to start because of the following error: The
> operation completed successfully." (Windows NT Server v3.51)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:18:19 +0000, Don Whybrow
<[email protected]> wrote:

>As I made my way home on Friday I manage to get a puncture after a
>ridiculously short time on my new bike (I only got it at the start of
>last month and I was not able to ride it for 2 weeks as I was away from
>home)
>
>Needless to say I am not impressed with the current tyre and have been
>looking around for a suitable replacement (preferably one of the
>Schwalbe Marathon range)

Like a previous poster, I've been using the conti's for some time and
I consider my rate of puncture occurrence to be unremarkable.

No (reasonable) tyre is going to shrug off all possible bits of glass
and road shrapnel - the best puncture protection is IMHO, the Mk I
eyeball. Of course you can't expect to spot everything, especially in
the wet. At some point, you're going to miss the bit of glass that's
the right size and shape to defeat your tyre and the outcome is always
disappointing.

Rather than hunting around for solutions, I'd file it under "just on
of those things"...

in message <[email protected]>, Tim Binns
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:18:19 +0000, Don Whybrow
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>As I made my way home on Friday I manage to get a puncture after a
>>ridiculously short time on my new bike (I only got it at the start of
>>last month and I was not able to ride it for 2 weeks as I was away from
>>home)
>>
>>Needless to say I am not impressed with the current tyre and have been
>>looking around for a suitable replacement (preferably one of the
>>Schwalbe Marathon range)
>>

> Like a previous poster, I've been using the conti's for some time and
> I consider my rate of puncture occurrence to be unremarkable.
>
> No (reasonable) tyre is going to shrug off all possible bits of glass
> and road shrapnel - the best puncture protection is IMHO, the Mk I
> eyeball. Of course you can't expect to spot everything, especially in
> the wet. At some point, you're going to miss the bit of glass that's
> the right size and shape to defeat your tyre and the outcome is always
> disappointing.

Up until this very weekend, I've been using Hutchinson Flash 700x20s on
my winter bike - bought for my summer bike, too tight to fit on the
rims, relegated to the winter bike.

On Saturday, after being late for one meeting in the past ten days
because of a puncture, and then being (very) late home from another
meeting because of a puncture I couldn't fix (knackered the tube /and/
the spare) I got fed up with them and, at my LBSs' recommendation, have
replaced them with a pair of Panaracer Stradius Elite TG 700x26. These
have a kevlar 'puncture protection' strip, and, being fatter, can be run
in an emergency with a slow puncture if one stops to pump every few
hundred yards.

But, as the snow came down as I was putting them on, all I can say about
them is that they're on. But a winter bike, like a commuter bike, needs
to 'just work'. Here's hoping!

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

Based on my experiences with 406x1.3" Vredestein S-Links on my
recumbent, regular inspection of the tyres to remove debris in the
process of trying to penetrate the tread might help. I think that all
'p**ct**re protection strips will get penetrated eventually :(

Don Whybrow wrote:

> Although they all match the bead seat diameter of 559, was 42 the
> correct size for an inner rim width of 16.9?
> If so should I aim to go under or over it?
> If not, what would be a closer match?
> Does it matter too much?

Replying to self, because I can.

NUMPTY.

Take a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html.

There is a chart that shows for a 17 inner rim width the tyre width
should be between 25 & 37. The original tyres are marginally too large
although this does not appear to be a problem. It looks like the width
is not so critical so long as you are in the right region.

To respond to points in other posts....

Rod King wrote:
> I believe that Conti Contact Sports are guaranteed against punctures
> for a year from fitting. Hence they should provide a free replacement.

I am taking this up with the LBS, thanks.

> I have been running with them for some time on my trike and have had
> no problems.

It was probably bad luck, but a normal bit of road chip should not have
gone through the "SafetySystem" (tm).

Tim Binns wrote:
> Like a previous poster, I've been using the conti's for some time and
> I consider my rate of puncture occurrence to be unremarkable.

It must just be my bad luck to have it happen within the first 5 weeks
of using them.

> No (reasonable) tyre is going to shrug off all possible bits of glass
> and road shrapnel - the best puncture protection is IMHO, the Mk I
> eyeball. Of course you can't expect to spot everything, especially in
> the wet. At some point, you're going to miss the bit of glass that's
> the right size and shape to defeat your tyre and the outcome is always
> disappointing.

If it had been a bit of glass I wouldn't have minded so much, in fact
about 100 yards prior to the puncture I had ridden carefully through
some glass debris with no problem. The puncture was caused by a stone chip.

squeaker wrote:
> Based on my experiences with 406x1.3" Vredestein S-Links on my
> recumbent, regular inspection of the tyres to remove debris in the
> process of trying to penetrate the tread might help. I think that all
> 'p**ct**re protection strips will get penetrated eventually :(

Sound advice, the Sport Contact doesn't have much tread, but debris can
still get into what there is.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and restart
body.