Rims

Mark

Guest
LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front wheel I want to build. I have done
web searches and not found much in the way of reviews/opinions for campy montreal and sun me14a
clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can anyone offer up some info? Thanks

Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

>LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front wheel I want to build. I have done
>web searches and not found much in the way of reviews/opinions for campy montreal and sun me14a
>clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can anyone offer up some info? Thanks

Both are excellent, and both are very similar to the Mavic Open Pro. I've built quite a few wheels
with the ME14A, and that's the rim I run on my own tandem (tells you something about its
strength). I haven't used the Montreal, but Campy makes VERY nice rims, IMHO. You can't go wrong
with either one.

I have some Mavic Open SUP as does icicycles

<https://secure5.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=Icycles&BusType=BtoC&Count1=2547418-
47&Count2=171882271&Target=products%2Easp&CategoryID=79>

They are just as nice as Open Pro and will cost you less too.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:42:53 -0400, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

>LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front wheel I want to build. I have done
>web searches and not found much in the way of reviews/opinions for campy montreal and sun me14a
>clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can anyone offer up some info? Thanks

Mark-<< LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front wheel I want to build.
>><BR><BR>

??-Easy to find-

<< I have done web searches and not found much in the way of reviews/opinions for campy montreal and
sun me14a clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can anyone offer up some info? >><BR><BR>

I'd stay away from Montreals, cracking around the eyelets problem. Look at Velocity Aeroheads,
light, well made clincher rim. If you want eyelets, Velocity Razor...great rims.

I build a lot of wheels with the Razors. Never a problem. They have a really beautiful
finish too....

I just finished a pair for my wife. She just loves the bright blue rims.

Bruce

> Mark-<< LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front
wheel
> I want to build. >><BR><BR>
>
> ??-Easy to find-
>
> << I have done web searches and not found much in the way of reviews/opinions for campy montreal
> and sun me14a clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can anyone offer up some info? >><BR><BR>
>
> I'd stay away from Montreals, cracking around the eyelets problem. Look at Velocity Aeroheads,
> light, well made clincher rim. If you want eyelets, Velocity Razor...great rims.

> Mark-<< LBS is having trouble getting 28 hole mavic open pro for a front
wheel I
> want to build. ??-Easy to find- << I have done web searches and not found much in the way of
> reviews/opinions for campy montreal and sun me14a clincher rims as alternatives to mavic. Can
> anyone offer up some info? >><BR><BR>

> I'd stay away from Montreals, cracking around the eyelets problem. Look at Velocity Aeroheads,
> light, well made clincher rim. If you want eyelets, Velocity Razor...great rims.

OTOH, our experience with Montreals has been very positive. I've built a few hundred of them, mostly
on Campagnolo hubs, over the past several years. Perhaps you had some "special" examples of that
fine product?

At any rate, they are discontinued now and existing stock will be gone by the end of the year. We
are also very satisfied with Velocity products. Their prompt service is excellent, too.