Ring lock?

Doug

Guest
Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

Thanks, Doug

In article <[email protected]>, Doug
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
>u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
>every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
>where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
>to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

I have not used one, but I observed it on a Breezer at Bicycle Habitat in NYC. It's like a big fat
padlock that is mounted at the brake bridge, between the seat stays and the seat tube. When locked,
it passes a piece of steel through the spokes so the rear wheel cannot rotate or be removed. So when
locked, the "ring" goes around the tire and rim. It looks like a good commuter-bike convenience to
me, and should probably be used with a cable to secure the rest of the bike and allow you to lock
the bike to some stationary object. I didn't notice how the lock is attached to the frame but it
looked like some kind of bolted-on contraption. Not sure how the lock itself is secured but even if
you got the lock off the frame you still would not be able to ride the bike away.

--Paul

On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:50:10 GMT, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security?

It might protect your bike in the more civilised parts of Holland. Anywhere else, forget it. They're
broken in seconds and they do nothing to stop the bike being carried away.

if you look under the rear stay, just where the brake cantis mount, you'll see what looks like a
dark-coloured caliper brake. It's a sliding C-shaped lock shackle that locks wheel to frame.

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security?

Sounds like some version of a "nurses lock" as shown at: http://www.jstevenwood.com/bikelock.jpg

My wife and I both have "Giant" bikes that come with these fitted. The lock is permanently fixed to
the bike and when the key is removed the shiny steel bar shown in the picture passes from one arm of
the U to the other making it impossible to turn the wheel. Not sufficent on their own round here for
security, but as you have to put the key in and leave it in to unlock the bike: by putting the key
for a cable or U lock that is also being used on a keyring with the key for the nurses lock, its
impossibl;e to ride anywhere without remembering to take the keys for your locks.

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
> u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
> every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
> where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
> to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

I usually see these referred to as "horseshoe locks." Here's a picture of one:

http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/products.php?mcat=2&scat=93&prodid=6

I don't think they're very useful in any high-crime area. They simply immobilize the rear wheel. But
if that's all you're using, someone can just pick up the bike and walk away with it.

On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:50:10 GMT, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
>u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
>every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
>where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
>to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.
>
>Thanks, Doug

Add to all of that the fact that there are two distinct types of these things... the most
common one I've seen lately is simply stamped steel (tin?) rather than a steel bolt. On the
best ones a reasonably strong adult can't bent it apart by hand ... on the cheap ones it is not
even much effort.

I like the site... "...for a modicum of security.." fits pretty well... if your just popping in to
your corner store for a pint of milk or a newspaper it is fine ...