Ring lock?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, May 13, 2003.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
    u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
    every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
    where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
    to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Doug
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
    >u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
    >every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
    >where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
    >to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

    I have not used one, but I observed it on a Breezer at Bicycle Habitat in NYC. It's like a big fat
    padlock that is mounted at the brake bridge, between the seat stays and the seat tube. When locked,
    it passes a piece of steel through the spokes so the rear wheel cannot rotate or be removed. So when
    locked, the "ring" goes around the tire and rim. It looks like a good commuter-bike convenience to
    me, and should probably be used with a cable to secure the rest of the bike and allow you to lock
    the bike to some stationary object. I didn't notice how the lock is attached to the frame but it
    looked like some kind of bolted-on contraption. Not sure how the lock itself is secured but even if
    you got the lock off the frame you still would not be able to ride the bike away.

    --Paul

  3. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:50:10 GMT, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security?

    It might protect your bike in the more civilised parts of Holland. Anywhere else, forget it. They're
    broken in seconds and they do nothing to stop the bike being carried away.

    if you look under the rear stay, just where the brake cantis mount, you'll see what looks like a
    dark-coloured caliper brake. It's a sliding C-shaped lock shackle that locks wheel to frame.

  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security?

    Sounds like some version of a "nurses lock" as shown at: http://www.jstevenwood.com/bikelock.jpg

    My wife and I both have "Giant" bikes that come with these fitted. The lock is permanently fixed to
    the bike and when the key is removed the shiny steel bar shown in the picture passes from one arm of
    the U to the other making it impossible to turn the wheel. Not sufficent on their own round here for
    security, but as you have to put the key in and leave it in to unlock the bike: by putting the key
    for a cable or U lock that is also being used on a keyring with the key for the nurses lock, its
    impossibl;e to ride anywhere without remembering to take the keys for your locks.

  5. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
    > u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
    > every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
    > where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
    > to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.

    I usually see these referred to as "horseshoe locks." Here's a picture of one:

    http://www.bicycleworkshop.co.uk/products.php?mcat=2&scat=93&prodid=6

    I don't think they're very useful in any high-crime area. They simply immobilize the rear wheel. But
    if that's all you're using, someone can just pick up the bike and walk away with it.

  6. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 21:50:10 GMT, "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is anybody familiar with a "ring lock" as it refers to bicycle security? Is it some variation of a
    >u-lock? Breezer includes one on their Town bike line (http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes.html - "On
    >every Town bike, for a modicum of security."). I'm wondering if the ring lock is a useful item and
    >where on the bike it's located if the lock is an integrated component. I don't have a local dealer
    >to check it out in person and can't tell from the pictures. No luck in web searches either.
    >
    >Thanks, Doug

    Add to all of that the fact that there are two distinct types of these things... the most
    common one I've seen lately is simply stamped steel (tin?) rather than a steel bolt. On the
    best ones a reasonably strong adult can't bent it apart by hand ... on the cheap ones it is not
    even much effort.

    I like the site... "...for a modicum of security.." fits pretty well... if your just popping in to
    your corner store for a pint of milk or a newspaper it is fine ...