Rio, anyone ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Ok, I've got the last week of March booked off at work to use up my last few hours of annual leave.
    I'd really like to do something a little different.... Today the Sunday Times are offering flights
    to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees
    etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different ! Question is, road bike or MTB ?....would it cost more
    getting the bike down there than my ticket price ?. I think I'd prefer to ride out of town, rather
    than around Rio itself. I'm sure it's awesome, amazing and all those other wonderful descriptive
    words, but it's also full of people (6 million +) and I'd like to take the opportunity to get away
    from it all for a few days...... Anyways, any of you loons out there up for a bit of a cycling
    experience with a difference ? I'm a reliable, mature, happily married, responsible father of three,
    etcetc.... Cheers, Dave.
    p.s. Respond via ng and we can swap e-mail addrs at later date (if anyone's upto the
    challenge ;-).
    p.p.s. If this is a no-goer, then I may get myself up to north of Inverness and just ride around in
    the wilderness for a while ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Today the Sunday Times are offering flights to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike
    > down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different !

    Do you really want to rough it in Rio with your bike? Folks have enough trouble hanging onto their
    stuff in hotel rooms, let alone leaving it hanging around outside.

    Have a read of http://www.ipanema.com/rio/basics/e/basic.htm. There are no campsites near Rio so
    better to stretch to a room than rough it and risk it.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Today the Sunday Times are offering flights to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike
    > > down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different !
    >
    > Do you really want to rough it in Rio with your bike? Folks have enough trouble hanging onto their
    > stuff in hotel rooms, let alone leaving it hanging around outside.
    >
    > Have a read of http://www.ipanema.com/rio/basics/e/basic.htm. There are
    no
    > campsites near Rio so better to stretch to a room than rough it and risk
    it.

    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    > their job."
    >
    > Samuel Goldwyn

    Already had a look around the advice sites for Rio. This is why I'd prefer to get out of town.
    Rather than official campsites I'd prefer bit of woodland, hammock, sleeping bag, waterproof cammo
    cover, 4 or 5 days, minimum expenditure, maximum mileage...real roughin' it ;-)...although suspect
    Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy / ridiculous though, doncha
    think ? cheers, Dave

  4. Dave wrote:
    > ;-)...although suspect Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy /
    > ridiculous though, doncha think ?

    Remember that some drivers in the Inverness region are a little unconvinced as to their need to keep
    their speed within the limits necessary to enable them to react to your presence, so that may affect
    your choice.

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dave wrote:
    > > ;-)...although suspect Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy
    > > / ridiculous though, doncha think ?
    >
    > Remember that some drivers in the Inverness region are a little
    unconvinced
    > as to their need to keep their speed within the limits necessary to enable them to react to your
    > presence, so that may affect your choice.

    ...that'll be where I lost my licence for six months and got me back into cycling....by strange
    coincidence ;-) cheers, dave.