Rio, anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Ok, I've got the last week of March booked off at work to use up my last few hours of annual leave.
I'd really like to do something a little different.... Today the Sunday Times are offering flights
to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees
etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different ! Question is, road bike or MTB ?....would it cost more
getting the bike down there than my ticket price ?. I think I'd prefer to ride out of town, rather
than around Rio itself. I'm sure it's awesome, amazing and all those other wonderful descriptive
words, but it's also full of people (6 million +) and I'd like to take the opportunity to get away
from it all for a few days...... Anyways, any of you loons out there up for a bit of a cycling
experience with a difference ? I'm a reliable, mature, happily married, responsible father of three,
etcetc.... Cheers, Dave.
p.s. Respond via ng and we can swap e-mail addrs at later date (if anyone's upto the
challenge ;-).
p.p.s. If this is a no-goer, then I may get myself up to north of Inverness and just ride around in
the wilderness for a while ;-)

Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today the Sunday Times are offering flights to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike
> down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different !

Do you really want to rough it in Rio with your bike? Folks have enough trouble hanging onto their
stuff in hotel rooms, let alone leaving it hanging around outside.

Have a read of http://www.ipanema.com/rio/basics/e/basic.htm. There are no campsites near Rio so
better to stretch to a room than rough it and risk it.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Today the Sunday Times are offering flights to Rio for £349...Now then, if I could take my bike
> > down and rough it for a week, hammock in trees etc., I reckon that'd be pretty different !
>
> Do you really want to rough it in Rio with your bike? Folks have enough trouble hanging onto their
> stuff in hotel rooms, let alone leaving it hanging around outside.
>
> Have a read of http://www.ipanema.com/rio/basics/e/basic.htm. There are
no
> campsites near Rio so better to stretch to a room than rough it and risk
it.
>
> Tony
>
> --
> http://www.raven-family.com
>
> "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
> their job."
>
> Samuel Goldwyn
>
>
Already had a look around the advice sites for Rio. This is why I'd prefer to get out of town.
Rather than official campsites I'd prefer bit of woodland, hammock, sleeping bag, waterproof cammo
cover, 4 or 5 days, minimum expenditure, maximum mileage...real roughin' it ;-)...although suspect
Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy / ridiculous though, doncha
think ? cheers, Dave

Dave wrote:
> ;-)...although suspect Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy /
> ridiculous though, doncha think ?

Remember that some drivers in the Inverness region are a little unconvinced as to their need to keep
their speed within the limits necessary to enable them to react to your presence, so that may affect
your choice.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dave wrote:
> > ;-)...although suspect Scotland is looking more probable at this point. It would be mad / crazy
> > / ridiculous though, doncha think ?
>
> Remember that some drivers in the Inverness region are a little
unconvinced
> as to their need to keep their speed within the limits necessary to enable them to react to your
> presence, so that may affect your choice.
>
>
...that'll be where I lost my licence for six months and got me back into cycling....by strange
coincidence ;-) cheers, dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.