Rip off of rec.bike.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Sure does look photoshoped to me. I'd be more incline to believe it if
the expression on the guys face was a little more "Oh sh!t" and the
chain wasn't f'd up too. Just too many things going wrong there make it
unbelievable (bars, front flat, and busted chain - come on now). Also,
take a look on how crisp the lines are on the guys outline.

It's a fake.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote:

>Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

>Sure does look photoshoped to me. I'd be more incline to believe it if
>the expression on the guys face was a little more "Oh sh!t"

I don't think it's a fake at all... I doubt the guy's had time to
realize just how much trouble he's in (seems to be dawning on him).

> and the
>chain wasn't f'd up too.

I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of making the chain look
like that if they were going to photoshop the photo. I think what's
happened is that he's just landed a big jump, hence the photo being
taken at that instant - the chain would seem to indicate some fairly
huge g forces though...

> Just too many things going wrong there make it
>unbelievable (bars, front flat, and busted chain - come on now). Also,
>take a look on how crisp the lines are on the guys outline.

That's not unusual - it's a flash photo taken during the day. That
will tend to freeze everything in the foreground since the flash
duration is very, very short (probably a fraction of a thousandth of a
second if it's a pro flash, which is likely).

>It's a fake.

I doubt it... but do have to wonder if that's the poor guy's headset
still attached to the steer tube that's still attached to the stem...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> >> http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

> >Sure does look photoshoped to me. I'd be more incline to believe it if
> >the expression on the guys face was a little more "Oh sh!t"

> I don't think it's a fake at all... I doubt the guy's had time to
> realize just how much trouble he's in (seems to be dawning on him).
>
> > and the
> >chain wasn't f'd up too.

> I can't imagine anyone going to the trouble of making the chain look
> like that if they were going to photoshop the photo. I think what's
> happened is that he's just landed a big jump, hence the photo being
> taken at that instant - the chain would seem to indicate some fairly
> huge g forces though...
>
> > Just too many things going wrong there make it
> >unbelievable (bars, front flat, and busted chain - come on now). Also,
> >take a look on how crisp the lines are on the guys outline.

> That's not unusual - it's a flash photo taken during the day. That
> will tend to freeze everything in the foreground since the flash
> duration is very, very short (probably a fraction of a thousandth of a
> second if it's a pro flash, which is likely).
>
> >It's a fake.

> I doubt it... but do have to wonder if that's the poor guy's headset
> still attached to the steer tube that's still attached to the stem...
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

I'm with you. I say that, unfortunately for the subject, it's legit.
Too bad the headtube (or what's left) is hidden. It looks like it
cracked AND took the top of the steerer along with it? Jeez.
You know that the situation is dire when the only hope is that there's
a downed tree a few feet ahead that may catapult him clear.
/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> I doubt it... but do have to wonder if that's the poor guy's headset
>> still attached to the steer tube that's still attached to the stem...
>>
>> Mark Hickey
>> Habanero Cycles
>> http://www.habcycles.com
>> Home of the $795 ti frame

> I'm with you. I say that, unfortunately for the subject, it's legit.
> Too bad the headtube (or what's left) is hidden. It looks like it
> cracked AND took the top of the steerer along with it? Jeez.
> You know that the situation is dire when the only hope is that there's
> a downed tree a few feet ahead that may catapult him clear.
> /s

I still think it's just a good Photoshop job. Look at the people
watching. You would think at this point the guy screamed some expletive
and people would be looking at him.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > Mark Hickey wrote:
> >> I doubt it... but do have to wonder if that's the poor guy's headset
> >> still attached to the steer tube that's still attached to the stem...
> >>
> >> Mark Hickey
> >> Habanero Cycles
> >> http://www.habcycles.com
> >> Home of the $795 ti frame

> > I'm with you. I say that, unfortunately for the subject, it's legit.
> > Too bad the headtube (or what's left) is hidden. It looks like it
> > cracked AND took the top of the steerer along with it? Jeez.
> > You know that the situation is dire when the only hope is that there's
> > a downed tree a few feet ahead that may catapult him clear.
> > /s
> >

> I still think it's just a good Photoshop job. Look at the people
> watching. You would think at this point the guy screamed some expletive
> and people would be looking at him.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Here's some follow up from Velonews:
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9082.0.html

"The story behind that photo
Hello,
Becky Brandt's dad here. Becky is at school right now, so I am writing
in on her behalf. She took that photo at the WORS Ultimax Challenge in
Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on October 9th of this year. It was the
citizen/beginner race in the area simply called "the log jump." This
guy hit the jump pretty fast, but never pulled up on the bars at all.
The fork steer tube sheared at the threads when he was landing. He
turned out to be okay. Nonetheless, they took him in for a visit to the
hospital as a precaution.
While he was laying on the ground, he was asking his dad to pick up the
headset bearings and other parts so he could rebuild and give her
another go!

Thanks for the weekly photo contest. We have had a lot of fun with it!
Doulas Brandt
Kenosha, Wisconsin

Mmmmmm... "Rebuild her and give her another go?" Maybe he should have
been more thoroughly examined. Anyway, please give Becky our
congratulations. Her book is on the way. - Editor"

Now for the suprising part -- October 9th of THIS YEAR? Hmmm.... Maybe
a massive failure like that could kinda be expected if you were using a
presumably well-used ~15 year old bike for a jumping contest?

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:

>>> I'm with you. I say that, unfortunately for the subject, it's legit.
>>> Too bad the headtube (or what's left) is hidden. It looks like it
>>> cracked AND took the top of the steerer along with it? Jeez.
>>> You know that the situation is dire when the only hope is that there's
>>> a downed tree a few feet ahead that may catapult him clear.
>>> /s
>>>

>> I still think it's just a good Photoshop job. Look at the people
>> watching. You would think at this point the guy screamed some expletive
>> and people would be looking at him.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> Here's some follow up from Velonews:
> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9082.0.html
>
> "The story behind that photo
> Hello,
> Becky Brandt's dad here. Becky is at school right now, so I am writing
> in on her behalf. She took that photo at the WORS Ultimax Challenge in
> Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on October 9th of this year. It was the
> citizen/beginner race in the area simply called "the log jump." This
> guy hit the jump pretty fast, but never pulled up on the bars at all.
> The fork steer tube sheared at the threads when he was landing. He
> turned out to be okay. Nonetheless, they took him in for a visit to the
> hospital as a precaution.
> While he was laying on the ground, he was asking his dad to pick up the
> headset bearings and other parts so he could rebuild and give her
> another go!
>
> Thanks for the weekly photo contest. We have had a lot of fun with it!
> Doulas Brandt
> Kenosha, Wisconsin
>
> Mmmmmm... "Rebuild her and give her another go?" Maybe he should have
> been more thoroughly examined. Anyway, please give Becky our
> congratulations. Her book is on the way. - Editor"
>
> Now for the suprising part -- October 9th of THIS YEAR? Hmmm.... Maybe
> a massive failure like that could kinda be expected if you were using a
> presumably well-used ~15 year old bike for a jumping contest?
>
> /s

I guess it's hard to argue with that, but it still doesn't look right to
me. I guess the log would explain the flat tire.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>>>
>>> I still think it's just a good Photoshop job. Look at the people
>>> watching. You would think at this point the guy screamed some
>>> expletive and people would be looking at him.
>>>
>>> --
>>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>> www.schnauzers.ws

>> Here's some follow up from Velonews:
>> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9082.0.html
>>
>> "The story behind that photo
>> Hello,
>> Becky Brandt's dad here. Becky is at school right now, so I am
>> writing in on her behalf. She took that photo at the WORS Ultimax
>> Challenge in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on October 9th of this year. It
>> was the citizen/beginner race in the area simply called "the log
>> jump." This guy hit the jump pretty fast, but never pulled up on the
>> bars at all. The fork steer tube sheared at the threads when he was
>> landing. He turned out to be okay. Nonetheless, they took him in for
>> a visit to the hospital as a precaution.
>> While he was laying on the ground, he was asking his dad to pick up
>> the headset bearings and other parts so he could rebuild and give her
>> another go!
>>
>> Thanks for the weekly photo contest. We have had a lot of fun with
>> it! Doulas Brandt
>> Kenosha, Wisconsin
>>
>> Mmmmmm... "Rebuild her and give her another go?" Maybe he should have
>> been more thoroughly examined. Anyway, please give Becky our
>> congratulations. Her book is on the way. - Editor"
>>
>> Now for the suprising part -- October 9th of THIS YEAR? Hmmm....
>> Maybe a massive failure like that could kinda be expected if you
>> were using a presumably well-used ~15 year old bike for a jumping
>> contest? /s
>>

> I guess it's hard to argue with that, but it still doesn't look right
> to me. I guess the log would explain the flat tire.

It's flat due to landing, not a puncture.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > Mark Hickey wrote:
> >> I doubt it... but do have to wonder if that's the poor guy's headset
> >> still attached to the steer tube that's still attached to the stem...
> >>
> >> Mark Hickey
> >> Habanero Cycles
> >> http://www.habcycles.com
> >> Home of the $795 ti frame

> > I'm with you. I say that, unfortunately for the subject, it's legit.
> > Too bad the headtube (or what's left) is hidden. It looks like it
> > cracked AND took the top of the steerer along with it? Jeez.
> > You know that the situation is dire when the only hope is that there's
> > a downed tree a few feet ahead that may catapult him clear.
> > /s
> >

> I still think it's just a good Photoshop job. Look at the people
> watching. You would think at this point the guy screamed some expletive
> and people would be looking at him.

I don't think so. People haven't had time to react yet. His front tire is
still flat from the impact of whatever jump or drop he just landed. This is
the instant where things went wrong.

Greg

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> It's flat due to landing, not a puncture.

I was thinking snake-bite since he hit the log straight on.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> >
> > It's flat due to landing, not a puncture.

> I was thinking snake-bite since he hit the log straight on.

No, it might be getting snake-bit at the moment of that picture but
basically that shows typical tire compression of a big landing. The other
thing that looks just right is the way his wheels aren't in a straight line.
It's hard to land a jump with the wheels absolutely perfectly aligned, and a
hard landing will exacerbate even the smallest of misalignments,
misalignments that wouldn't even come close to getting you in trouble on a
softer landing. The bike probably fish-tailed a bit after this shot before
he royally ate ****.

Greg

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
>> >
>> > It's flat due to landing, not a puncture.

>> I was thinking snake-bite since he hit the log straight on.

>No, it might be getting snake-bit at the moment of that picture but
>basically that shows typical tire compression of a big landing. The other
>thing that looks just right is the way his wheels aren't in a straight line.
>It's hard to land a jump with the wheels absolutely perfectly aligned, and a
>hard landing will exacerbate even the smallest of misalignments,
>misalignments that wouldn't even come close to getting you in trouble on a
>softer landing. The bike probably fish-tailed a bit after this shot before
>he royally ate ****.

Some sharp-eyed reader on r.b.tech pointed out that the bottom spokes
are compressed (for those of you who wonder how your spokes go out of
true when they seem so tight "normally").

Obviously the bike is (or was up 'til a millisecond before the photo
was snapped) under a LOT of force on the front wheel. I doubt that
the tire's flat at all - just being smooshed into the ground a ton
(literally and figuratively).

UGLY landing.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>I was thinking snake-bite since he hit the log straight on.

>>No, it might be getting snake-bit at the moment of that picture but
>>basically that shows typical tire compression of a big landing. The other
>>thing that looks just right is the way his wheels aren't in a straight line.
>>It's hard to land a jump with the wheels absolutely perfectly aligned, and a
>>hard landing will exacerbate even the smallest of misalignments,
>>misalignments that wouldn't even come close to getting you in trouble on a
>>softer landing. The bike probably fish-tailed a bit after this shot before
>>he royally ate ****.

> Some sharp-eyed reader on r.b.tech pointed out that the bottom spokes
> are compressed (for those of you who wonder how your spokes go out of
> true when they seem so tight "normally").
>
> Obviously the bike is (or was up 'til a millisecond before the photo
> was snapped) under a LOT of force on the front wheel. I doubt that
> the tire's flat at all - just being smooshed into the ground a ton
> (literally and figuratively).
>
> UGLY landing.

JRA, man!

Matt

G.T. wrote:
> I don't think so. People haven't had time to react yet. His front tire is
> still flat from the impact of whatever jump or drop he just landed. This is
> the instant where things went wrong.
>
> Greg

Yeh, im with you on that - the nuber of times ive bounced off things
and not realised it until it was all over is staggering.

MattB wrote:
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, it might be getting snake-bit at the moment of that picture but
>>> basically that shows typical tire compression of a big landing.
>>> The other thing that looks just right is the way his wheels aren't
>>> in a straight line. It's hard to land a jump with the wheels
>>> absolutely perfectly aligned, and a hard landing will exacerbate
>>> even the smallest of misalignments, misalignments that wouldn't
>>> even come close to getting you in trouble on a softer landing. The
>>> bike probably fish-tailed a bit after this shot before he royally
>>> ate ****.

>> Some sharp-eyed reader on r.b.tech pointed out that the bottom spokes
>> are compressed (for those of you who wonder how your spokes go out of
>> true when they seem so tight "normally").
>>
>> Obviously the bike is (or was up 'til a millisecond before the photo
>> was snapped) under a LOT of force on the front wheel. I doubt that
>> the tire's flat at all - just being smooshed into the ground a ton
>> (literally and figuratively).
>>
>> UGLY landing.
>>

> JRA, man!
>
> Matt

Ya think GT warrantied it? ;^)

Mike

I like to see his injuries. I put Dirty Harry with his
44 drawn at a family picnic once all those years ago a great paste up
job before going to photo.

Scott Gordo wrote:

> Here's some follow up from Velonews:
> http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9082.0.html
>
> "The story behind that photo
> Hello,
> Becky Brandt's dad here. Becky is at school right now, so I am writing
> in on her behalf. She took that photo at the WORS Ultimax Challenge in
> Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on October 9th of this year. It was the
> citizen/beginner race in the area simply called "the log jump." This
> guy hit the jump pretty fast, but never pulled up on the bars at all.
> The fork steer tube sheared at the threads when he was landing. He
> turned out to be okay. Nonetheless, they took him in for a visit to the
> hospital as a precaution.
> While he was laying on the ground, he was asking his dad to pick up the
> headset bearings and other parts so he could rebuild and give her
> another go!
>
> Thanks for the weekly photo contest. We have had a lot of fun with it!
> Doulas Brandt
> Kenosha, Wisconsin
>
> Mmmmmm... "Rebuild her and give her another go?" Maybe he should have
> been more thoroughly examined. Anyway, please give Becky our
> congratulations. Her book is on the way. - Editor"
>
> Now for the suprising part -- October 9th of THIS YEAR? Hmmm.... Maybe
> a massive failure like that could kinda be expected if you were using a
> presumably well-used ~15 year old bike for a jumping contest?
>
> /s

Makes sense. I was looking at it and coming to the conclusion that the
guy HAD jumped a low "something" at speed. Something just high enough
to give that front wheel a bit of weight so that it dug into the ground
slightly and compressed the tyre. He'd probably twisted slightly on the
take-off hop(as you do) which would explain the slight angle that the
frame is at.

The chain is getting g-forces from landing, and the whole lot has
snapped so fast that the guy hasn't had a chance to react. The only
reason the guy is going to react is when he realises his hands are still
moving downwards - too far downwards to account for the jump and the
position of everything else. Remember that he is still "gripping"
something.

Anyway, although the shot has been panned, his biceps are slightly
blurred vertically. Assuming that the camera has a flash sync speed of
roughly 1/60 second that would indicate that his biceps were moving an
inch every 60th seconds, or 60 inches per second. Headset has move six
inches from it's normal location, very roughly (and I can hear the
physics nerds screaming at my assumptions already) it's taken a 1/10 of
a second to occur thus far. If your face can react in less than a 10th
of a second then you're faster than I am.
--
Westie