ripe tomatoes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tony Deangelo, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    Tags:

  2. Grow 'em or get 'em from a neighbor who does. All commercial
    tomatoes are the pits because if they're tough enough to
    ship all the flavor is gone.

    "Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

  3. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    Many stupidmarkets offer 'on the vine' ripened tomatoes-for
    a premium price. But even these pale next to home grown.
    Assuming 'the NE' is the northern New England states rather
    than the generic NorthEast, that is probably your best bet
    at this time of year.

  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Tony DeAngelo wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
    like them a lot, even this time of the year.

    nancy

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Tony Guido DeAngelo prattles:
    >
    >Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    >willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    You're even willing to relocate to the NE???

    What kinda dago shadrool can't grow a tomato. DUH!

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  6. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
    > like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    > nancy

    Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
    tomatoes. Janet

  7. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Tony DeAngelo wrote:
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.
    >
    > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
    > like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    > nancy

    I think they call those 'heirlooms'. No doubt about it,
    they are delicious - they damn well should be for four
    bucks a pound!

    I like grape tomatoes - they're sweet and flavorful, unlike
    the cardboard tomatoes we've grown used to in recent years.
    If I didn't live in the city, I'd grow my own. Alas, a
    window herb garden is about all I can handle.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Janet Bostwick wrote:

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
    > > like them a lot, even this time of the year.

    > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
    > tomatoes. Janet

    Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
    brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice for
    a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice sandwich.

    nancy (must stop saying nice)

  9. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > >
    > > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    >
    > > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
    > > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    > > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
    > > ugly tomatoes. Janet
    >
    > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
    > brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
    > for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    > sandwich.
    >
    > nancy (must stop saying nice)

    Sorry I missed the Cap., although I did think you were
    explaining something other than unattractive. How nice to
    have access to a large, decent tasting tomato during the
    winter. I don't recall ever having heard of the Ugly tomato
    before. Out here in the West we do have access to the grape
    tomatoes and those tomatoes that are sold still attached to
    the vine. The variety that I get at Costco is called
    Campari. The vines are always very fresh and smell strongly
    of tomato vine. The tomatoes are sweet--quite a bit sweeter
    than the usual garden variety, but taste very much like
    freshly picked tomato. Janet

  10. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > >
    > > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    >
    > > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
    > > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    > > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
    > > ugly tomatoes. Janet
    >
    > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
    > brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
    > for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    > sandwich.
    >
    > nancy (must stop saying nice)

    They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you can
    find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But in our
    area, the season is quite short, only a couple of weeks.
    They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite heavily
    on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.) They have
    few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.

    gloria p

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:30:48 -0500, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>
    >> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >> > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
    >> > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    >> Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
    >> tomatoes. Janet
    >
    >Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
    >brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice for
    >a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice sandwich.

    Actually they're "Ugly Ripe". Pretty good for
    stupidmarket tomatoes and available all over the east
    coast this time of year.

    http://www.producepete.com/shows/uglyripetomatoes.html

    -sw

  12. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > >
    > > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    >
    > > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
    > > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
    >
    > > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
    > > ugly tomatoes. Janet
    >
    > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
    > brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
    > for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    > sandwich.
    >
    > nancy (must stop saying nice)

    Ohhh...I misspoke then - I don't think I've ever seen those.
    I'll have to look for them. Are they regional, do you know?
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Puester wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    > >
    > > Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message

    > > > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
    > > > ugly tomatoes. Janet
    > >
    > > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
    > > a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
    > > nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    > > sandwich.
    > >
    > > nancy (must stop saying nice)
    >
    > They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you can
    > find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But in our
    > area, the season is quite short, only a couple of weeks.
    > They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite heavily
    > on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.) They have
    > few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.

    (laughing) Here's the deal. In the past I have a couple of
    times said that I have noticed that the supermarket
    tomatoes, even in the winter, have been getting better than
    the whitish cardboardy things we're all so used to. That was
    met with disdain or deafening silence. I happen to think the
    Ugly's (Ugli's?) are very good indeed.

    nancy

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Donna Rose wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,

    > > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
    > > a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
    > > nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    > > sandwich.

    > Ohhh...I misspoke then - I don't think I've ever seen
    > those. I'll have to look for them. Are they regional, do
    > you know?

    Check out the site Steve W mentioned? It doesn't say
    anything about regional or season, but at least it
    describes them. Gloria said that the season is quite short.
    I would go out of my way to get one this time of the year,
    myself. The site says it's a misshapen beefsteak. I can go
    along with that.

    nancy

  15. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > Puester wrote:
    >>
    >> Nancy Young wrote:

    >>> Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
    >>> a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
    >>> nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
    >>> sandwich.
    >>>
    >>> nancy (must stop saying nice)
    >>
    >> They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you
    >> can find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But
    >> in our area, the season is quite short, only a couple of
    >> weeks. They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite
    >> heavily on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.)
    >> They have few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.
    >
    > (laughing) Here's the deal. In the past I have a couple of
    > times said that I have noticed that the supermarket
    > tomatoes, even in the winter, have been getting better
    > than the whitish cardboardy things we're all so used to.
    > That was met with disdain or deafening silence. I happen
    > to think the Ugly's (Ugli's?) are very good indeed.
    >
    > nancy

    Maybe it's just because of where I live, but the store down
    the street has some really nice, juicy looking tomatoes
    sitting by the front window. Ripley, TN is known for
    tomatoes but I thought it was too early for them to look
    that nice.

    Jill (still saying nice)

  16. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:12:49 -0500, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Check out the site Steve W mentioned? It doesn't say
    >anything about regional or season, but at least it
    >describes them. Gloria said that the season is quite short.
    >I would go out of my way to get one this time of the year,
    >myself. The site says it's a misshapen beefsteak. I can go
    >along with that.

    I saw them everywhere from South Carolina to Pennsylvania
    this time last year (March and April).

    -sw

  17. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    Who Foods Market usually has the cluster tomatoes and they
    are pretty good.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  18. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    In rec.food.cooking, Tony DeAngelo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    There's a greenhouse in VT that grows them hydroponically.
    Google for vermont tomato greenhouse hydroponic or
    variations as you should be able to find them.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  19. Let me explain. I do grow tomatoes. They are usually quite
    good, though the season is short. Trouble is, they aren't
    ripe now. My Mom has terminal cancer, and has a craving for
    tomatoes. I thought that maybe somewhere (I don't know,
    Hawaii? Austrailia?) there would be a grove that might have
    heirloom tomatoes that could be FedExed.

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >>Tony Guido DeAngelo prattles:
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    >>willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.
    >

    > You're even willing to relocate to the NE???
    >
    > What kinda dago shadrool can't grow a tomato. DUH!
    >

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
    > UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
    > would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation."

  20. At this time of year the only fresh tomatoes I eat come from
    an organic farm in Yaphank, NY that grows excellent cherry
    tomatoes indoors. They come to the Union Sq. Greenmarket
    three times a week. They are extravagant enough.

    I wait till they are ripening in the ground for larger ones.
    Just how well they come out depends on the season, and the
    particular location.

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:25:44 -0500, Tony DeAngelo
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
    >willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.