ripe tomatoes

Tony Deangelo

Guest
Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

Grow 'em or get 'em from a neighbor who does. All commercial
tomatoes are the pits because if they're tough enough to
ship all the flavor is gone.

"Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

"Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

Many stupidmarkets offer 'on the vine' ripened tomatoes-for
a premium price. But even these pale next to home grown.
Assuming 'the NE' is the northern New England states rather
than the generic NorthEast, that is probably your best bet
at this time of year.

Tony DeAngelo wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
like them a lot, even this time of the year.

nancy

>Tony Guido DeAngelo prattles:
>
>Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
>willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

You're even willing to relocate to the NE???

What kinda dago shadrool can't grow a tomato. DUH!

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
> like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
> nancy

Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
tomatoes. Janet

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Tony DeAngelo wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> > willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.
>
> Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
> like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
> nancy

I think they call those 'heirlooms'. No doubt about it,
they are delicious - they damn well should be for four
bucks a pound!

I like grape tomatoes - they're sweet and flavorful, unlike
the cardboard tomatoes we've grown used to in recent years.
If I didn't live in the city, I'd grow my own. Alas, a
window herb garden is about all I can handle.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket. I
> > like them a lot, even this time of the year.

> Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
> tomatoes. Janet

Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice for
a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice sandwich.

nancy (must stop saying nice)

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
>
> > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
> > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
> > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
> > ugly tomatoes. Janet
>
> Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
> brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
> for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
> sandwich.
>
> nancy (must stop saying nice)

Sorry I missed the Cap., although I did think you were
explaining something other than unattractive. How nice to
have access to a large, decent tasting tomato during the
winter. I don't recall ever having heard of the Ugly tomato
before. Out here in the West we do have access to the grape
tomatoes and those tomatoes that are sold still attached to
the vine. The variety that I get at Costco is called
Campari. The vines are always very fresh and smell strongly
of tomato vine. The tomatoes are sweet--quite a bit sweeter
than the usual garden variety, but taste very much like
freshly picked tomato. Janet

Nancy Young wrote:

> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
>
> > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
> > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
> > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
> > ugly tomatoes. Janet
>
> Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
> brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
> for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
> sandwich.
>
> nancy (must stop saying nice)

They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you can
find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But in our
area, the season is quite short, only a couple of weeks.
They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite heavily
on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.) They have
few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.

gloria p

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:30:48 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
>> > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
>> Explain please. I don't understand your reference to ugly
>> tomatoes. Janet
>
>Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
>brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice for
>a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice sandwich.

Actually they're "Ugly Ripe". Pretty good for
stupidmarket tomatoes and available all over the east
coast this time of year.

http://www.producepete.com/shows/uglyripetomatoes.html

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
>
> > > Have you seen those Ugly tomatoes in your supermarket.
> > > I like them a lot, even this time of the year.
>
> > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
> > ugly tomatoes. Janet
>
> Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's a
> brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very nice
> for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
> sandwich.
>
> nancy (must stop saying nice)

Ohhh...I misspoke then - I don't think I've ever seen those.
I'll have to look for them. Are they regional, do you know?
--

Puester wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > >
> > > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message

> > > Explain please. I don't understand your reference to
> > > ugly tomatoes. Janet
> >
> > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
> > a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
> > nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
> > sandwich.
> >
> > nancy (must stop saying nice)
>
> They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you can
> find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But in our
> area, the season is quite short, only a couple of weeks.
> They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite heavily
> on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.) They have
> few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.

(laughing) Here's the deal. In the past I have a couple of
times said that I have noticed that the supermarket
tomatoes, even in the winter, have been getting better than
the whitish cardboardy things we're all so used to. That was
met with disdain or deafening silence. I happen to think the
Ugly's (Ugli's?) are very good indeed.

nancy

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,

> > Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
> > a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
> > nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
> > sandwich.

> Ohhh...I misspoke then - I don't think I've ever seen
> those. I'll have to look for them. Are they regional, do
> you know?

Check out the site Steve W mentioned? It doesn't say
anything about regional or season, but at least it
describes them. Gloria said that the season is quite short.
I would go out of my way to get one this time of the year,
myself. The site says it's a misshapen beefsteak. I can go
along with that.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Not ugly tomatoes. Ugly tomatoes with a capital U. It's
>>> a brand name. They are large nice red tomatoes. Very
>>> nice for a supermarket tomato. Especially good on a nice
>>> sandwich.
>>>
>>> nancy (must stop saying nice)
>>
>> They are the closest to fresh garden tomatoes that you
>> can find in a supermarket. Nice? They're wonderful! But
>> in our area, the season is quite short, only a couple of
>> weeks. They are called Ugly because they are ribbed quite
>> heavily on the outside (think acorn squash only moreso.)
>> They have few, tiny seed cavities and are very flavorful.
>
> (laughing) Here's the deal. In the past I have a couple of
> times said that I have noticed that the supermarket
> tomatoes, even in the winter, have been getting better
> than the whitish cardboardy things we're all so used to.
> That was met with disdain or deafening silence. I happen
> to think the Ugly's (Ugli's?) are very good indeed.
>
> nancy

Maybe it's just because of where I live, but the store down
the street has some really nice, juicy looking tomatoes
sitting by the front window. Ripley, TN is known for
tomatoes but I thought it was too early for them to look
that nice.

Jill (still saying nice)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:12:49 -0500, Nancy Young
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Check out the site Steve W mentioned? It doesn't say
>anything about regional or season, but at least it
>describes them. Gloria said that the season is quite short.
>I would go out of my way to get one this time of the year,
>myself. The site says it's a misshapen beefsteak. I can go
>along with that.

I saw them everywhere from South Carolina to Pennsylvania
this time last year (March and April).

-sw

"Tony DeAngelo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

Who Foods Market usually has the cluster tomatoes and they
are pretty good.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

In rec.food.cooking, Tony DeAngelo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
> willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

There's a greenhouse in VT that grows them hydroponically.
Google for vermont tomato greenhouse hydroponic or
variations as you should be able to find them.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Let me explain. I do grow tomatoes. They are usually quite
good, though the season is short. Trouble is, they aren't
ripe now. My Mom has terminal cancer, and has a craving for
tomatoes. I thought that maybe somewhere (I don't know,
Hawaii? Austrailia?) there would be a grove that might have
heirloom tomatoes that could be FedExed.

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Tony Guido DeAngelo prattles:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
>>willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.
>

> You're even willing to relocate to the NE???
>
> What kinda dago shadrool can't grow a tomato. DUH!
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move
> UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life
> would be devoid of all meaning were it without
> tribulation."

At this time of year the only fresh tomatoes I eat come from
an organic farm in Yaphank, NY that grows excellent cherry
tomatoes indoors. They come to the Union Sq. Greenmarket
three times a week. They are extravagant enough.

I wait till they are ripening in the ground for larger ones.
Just how well they come out depends on the season, and the
particular location.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:25:44 -0500, Tony DeAngelo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good source for ripe tomatoes? I'm
>willing to pay an exhorbitant price, and live in the NE.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.