riserbars

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Elijah Wil Whea, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. I'm a senior citizen and after spinal implants in '96...I bought a ZX6000 trek, I changed tires and
    rims with continental tires and majik III or something like that. A while back arms got tired or
    sore pretty quick, so I changed the stem at the bike shops suggestion, for one that moved me back
    insted of up...I guess a 4 degree rise, but I can't see where I'm sitting up...or my arms are bent.
    This is the best I can explain...so forgive
    me...any suggestions please?

    --
    Elijah (Lijah) Wil Wheaton "... from the land of Mordor ... in the valley where the shadows lie."

    Tags:

  2. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Elijah Wil Wheaton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > I'm a senior citizen and after spinal implants in '96...I bought a ZX6000 trek, I changed tires
    > and rims with continental tires and majik III or something like that. A while back arms got tired
    > or sore pretty quick, so
    > changed the stem at the bike shops suggestion, for one that moved me back insted of up...I guess a
    > 4 degree rise, but I can't see where I'm sitting up...or my arms are bent. This is the best I can
    > explain...so forgive
    > me...any suggestions please?

    You mentioned your arms getting tired quickly, but is your back hurting? If so, risers will make for
    a more upright riding position. If it's just your arms, having a looser grip on the bars (you really
    don't need to grip them too hard most of the time) and some decent quality gloves will help no end.

    Andy Chequer

  3. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Elijah Wil Wheaton wrote:

    > I'm a senior citizen and after spinal implants in '96...I bought a ZX6000 trek, I changed tires
    > and rims with continental tires and majik III or something like that. A while back arms got tired
    > or sore pretty quick, so I changed the stem at the bike shops suggestion, for one that moved me
    > back insted of up...I guess a 4 degree rise, but I can't see where I'm sitting up...or my arms are
    > bent. This is the best I can explain...so forgive
    > me...any suggestions please?

    You don't mention what kind of riding you're doing, but if you're using your mountain
    bike for touring, commuting, just riding around the neighborhood - basically anything
    besides actual mountainbiking - you might consider a recumbent instead. They're much
    easier on the back, neck, shoulders and arms. Easy on the butt, too. I've got a diamond
    frame mountain bike - a '97 Schwinn Homegrown - that I use offroad, and a 'bent that I
    use for everything else.

    Kathleen

  4. thanks for the input. will try both ideas.