Risk Factors Website

Brad Sheppard

Guest
I may be creating a CAD risk factors website since I can't
find in one source ALL risk factors and their details. EG -
Hba1c predicts CAD better than Chol. Also, sensitivy of BP
to salt predicts CAD. A biggie - abstaining from alcohol is
a big risk factor. The details I include would be links to
the original research or websites. What is your ranking of
risk factors in terms of predictive power?

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> I may be creating a CAD risk factors website since I can't
> find in one source ALL risk factors and their details.

It seems you are not looking hard enough.

> EG - Hba1c predicts CAD better than Chol.

Elevated HgbA1C (ie diabetes) is risk equivalent rather than
a risk factor.

> Also, sensitivy of BP to salt predicts CAD.

Hypertension us a risk factor for CAD.

> A biggie - abstaining from alcohol is a big risk factor.

Not really. There are folks who have higher CAD risk from
drinking alcohol.

> The details I include would be links to the original
> research or websites.

It seems you have difficulties interpreting the information
correctly.

> What is your ranking of risk factors in terms of
> predictive power?

(1) Cigarette smoking.
(2) Family history
(3) Metabolic syndrome (MetS)
(4) Hypertension
(5) Dyslipidemia
(6) Age over 35 yo
(7) Male gender

Elevated HgbA1C (ie diabetes) is not a risk factor but a
risk equivalent.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

[email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I may be creating a CAD risk factors website since I can't
> find in one source ALL risk factors and their details. EG
> - Hba1c predicts CAD better than Chol. Also, sensitivy of
> BP to salt predicts CAD. A biggie - abstaining from
> alcohol is a big risk factor. The details I include would
> be links to the original research or websites. What is
> your ranking of risk factors in terms of predictive power?

This sounds like a great idea Brad. My entry for most
important risk factor would be low hdl. This week.

Next week? Who knows.

According to the latest research, CRP and homocysteine are
no longer favoured front-runners, and I heard a rumour last
week that HDL is set for a fall.

As for high cholesterol as an independent risk factor, here
are my numbers, with no heart disease: Total cholesterol 9.4-
12.59, ldl
7.28-11.31.

I think it would be great too if you included this. Heh. (I
was just hoping for an excuse to post it here. We could use
a little levity on this board. Hope you don't mind.)

http://www.etch-a-sketch.com/html/onlineetch.htm

Zee

To clarify:

for men, Hba1c predicts mortality and CAD better than chol,
even for non-diabetics. See
http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/content.asp?ID=621
and for the journal article, see
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abridged/322/7277/15

Re:sensitivy of BP to salt predicts CAD - I should have
added "even for people with normal BP." Didn't know that,
did you Chung?

Re: abstainance from alcohol as a risk factor add - versus
moderate drinking. Beyond moderate drinking increases risk.
"But far more Americans drink less, not more, than would be
most healthful for them. To fail to inform these patients
about the benefits of moderate drinking is both
counterproductive and dishonest. Physicians may ask, "How
much alcohol do you drink," "Is there any reason that you
don't drink (or that you drink so little)," and (to those
without religious objections, previous drinking problems,
etc.), "Do you know that one or two glasses of wine or beer
a day can be good for your health if you can safely consume
them?"
http://www.acsh.org/publications/priorities/0801/pcyes.html

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> To clarify:
>
> for men, Hba1c predicts mortality and CAD better than
> chol, even for non-diabetics. See
> http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/content.asp?ID=621
> and for the journal article, see http://bmj.bmjjournals.c-
> om/cgi/content/abridged/322/7277/15

Those folks with higher than optimal HgbA1C likely have more
CAD because of their having metabolic syndrome (MetS). The
HgbA1C is simply a marker of MetS rather than an independent
risk factor.

> Re:sensitivy of BP to salt predicts CAD - I should have
> added "even for people with normal BP." Didn't know that,
> did you Chung?

Saline infusion leading to the demonstration of salt
sensitivity is the most sensitive test for detecting
hypertension. Didn't know that, did you Shep?

> Re: abstainance from alcohol as a risk factor add - versus
> moderate drinking. Beyond moderate drinking increases
> risk. "But far more Americans drink less, not more, than
> would be most healthful for them. To fail to inform these
> patients about the benefits of moderate drinking is both
> counterproductive and dishonest. Physicians may ask, "How
> much alcohol do you drink," "Is there any reason that you
> don't drink (or that you drink so little)," and (to those
> without religious objections, previous drinking problems,
> etc.), "Do you know that one or two glasses of wine or
> beer a day can be good for your health if you can safely
> consume them?" http://www.acsh.org/publications/prioritie-
> s/0801/pcyes.html

In truth, there have been no randomized double-blind placebo
controlled prospective trials to show a health benefit from
consuming alcoholic beverages.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

"Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Re: abstainance from alcohol as a risk factor add - versus
> moderate drinking. Beyond moderate drinking increases
> risk. "But far more Americans drink less, not more, than
> would be most healthful for them. To fail to inform these
> patients about the benefits of moderate drinking is both
> counterproductive and dishonest.

The "one glass of red wine a day" (two at most, for men) has
been the standard advice from doctors, especially to old
people, for ages in France. It has a positive effect on
cholesterol and overall heart health. It's also a relaxant,
which can relieve stress. It's slightly anti-depressant, and
depression is a real issue among old people. I guess it also
helps the "industry". You have tons of corn syrup to get rid
of, we have tons of wine. :p

"Lictor" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>You have tons of corn syrup to get rid of, we have
>tons of wine.

Care to swap some? ;-)
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

There is no single marker for MetS, nor is it a continuous
variable like Hba1c. More fundamental than either Mets or
Hba1c appears to be IRS - insulin resistance syndrome. This
appears to precede MetS by many years. The body pumps out
more insulin as the cells become more and more insulin
resistant. The excess insulin is harmful. Unfortunately,
there is currently no simple test for IRS.

Brad Sheppard wrote:

> There is no single marker for MetS,

Did not claim that there was.

> nor is it a continuous variable like Hba1c.

It is a diagnosis.

> More fundamental than either Mets or Hba1c appears to be
> IRS - insulin resistance syndrome.

MetS is fundamentally more important than either IRS
or HgbA1C.

> This appears to precede MetS by many years.

Ime, MetS precedes IRS by several years.

> The body pumps out more insulin as the cells become more
> and more insulin resistant. The excess insulin is harmful.
> Unfortunately, there is currently no simple test for IRS.

Clinically, MetS is more important than IRS.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

"Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> I may be creating a CAD risk factors website since I can't
> find in one source ALL risk factors and their details. EG
> - Hba1c predicts CAD better than Chol. Also, sensitivy of
> BP to salt predicts CAD. A biggie - abstaining from
> alcohol is a big risk factor. The details I include would
> be links to the original research or websites. What is
> your ranking of risk factors in terms of predictive power?

Speaking about it, are there any studies associating
climate with CAD?

Mirek

Yes. "Mar 12 (Reuters Health) - In a study of older
women, a cold outdoor temperature at the time they were
born was associated with an increased risk of heart
disease later in life.

The findings, which are reported in the medical journal
Heart, stem from a study of 4286 women, between 60 and 79
years of age, who were randomly selected from general
physician lists in 23 British towns."

http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-
detail.cfm?reutersid=4207

"Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2gu9hgF6jn2uU1@uni-
berlin.de>...
> "Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> píse v
> diskusním príspevku
> news:[email protected]...
> > I may be creating a CAD risk factors website since I
> > can't find in one source ALL risk factors and their
> > details. EG - Hba1c predicts CAD better than Chol. Also,
> > sensitivy of BP to salt predicts CAD. A biggie -
> > abstaining from alcohol is a big risk factor. The
> > details I include would be links to the original
> > research or websites. What is your ranking of risk
> > factors in terms of predictive power?
>
> Speaking about it, are there any studies associating
> climate with CAD?
>
> Mirek

"Brad Sheppard" <[email protected]> píse v diskusním príspevku
news:[email protected]...
> Yes. "Mar 12 (Reuters Health) - In a study of older women,
> a cold outdoor temperature at the time they were born was
> associated with an increased risk of heart disease later
> in life.

Much more interesting than I have expected.....

Mirek