[Risotto] with spinach (Photo).

Victor Sack <[email protected]> wrote:

> serene <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Victor Sack <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > When the rice is al dente (10-15 minutes),

> > My risotto always seems to take twice as long as the instructions say. I
> > have never figured out why.

> Indeed, it's always been my experience, too. That is why I preceded the
> recipe with the "the cooking time indicated in the recipe can often be a
> little too short" note. Also, the kind of rice matters. Carnaroli
> needs 5-10 more minutes than Arborio in my experience.

I have always used Arborio. Hmm. I'll have to make risotto soon so we
can figure this out. :)

serene

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:21:36 +0200, "caronteone" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Victor Sack" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>news:1h0a6cj.y9fiysiq5h4wN%[email protected]...
>> Pandora <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> They call "yellow rice" because the grains are really yellow. It isn't
>>> arborio.
>>> It is the pre cooked rice, the one that doesen't overkook; the one that
>>> has
>>> separated grains also if you forget it on the fire and also if you mix
>>> and
>>> mix for long time; the one that Chinese people doesn't use. It is very
>>> good
>>> for rice salads and for risotti. It is no good to make supplì.
>>> Here is what I have found:
>>> http://tinypic.com/9bf7sg.jpgf

>> De gustibus non est disputandum, etc., but using parboiled rice for
>> risotto goes against the grain somehow. In fact, you have actually
>> provided an explanation: "separated grains". That is the opposite of
>> what one is supposed to look for in a risotto (and is the exact
>> counterpart to using chili peppers instead of black pepper in
>> "carbonara") - you end up making another, however tasty, dish. In this
>> case, the resulting dish would perhaps be more akin to a kind of pilaff.

>I think you are perfectly right Victor.
>Parboiled rice is never used in genuine cuisine.
>Instead it could be used by fast food restaurats.
>But if you plan to make a genuine risotto, preserve your parboiled rice for
>your next rice salad!
>Risotto is my speciality, and i've never used it and never will!
>So keep up you good uses and keep parboiled rice away from your kitchen!
>
>> Have you thought of posting your parboiled-rice recipe to
>> <news:it.hobby.cucina>, to provoke a riot or something? :)

I'm late (just came back from holidays... in Italy!), but I have to
agree with Victor and Caronteone. I love risotto, I love making it,
and parboiled rice never enters my kitchen. Me, for risotto, I'm
partial to Carnaroli :)

Nathalie in Switzerland

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:21:36 +0200, "caronteone" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Victor Sack" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>news:1h0a6cj.y9fiysiq5h4wN%[email protected]...

>>> De gustibus non est disputandum, etc., but using parboiled rice for
>>> risotto goes against the grain somehow. In fact, you have actually
>>> provided an explanation: "separated grains". That is the opposite of
>>> what one is supposed to look for in a risotto (and is the exact
>>> counterpart to using chili peppers instead of black pepper in
>>> "carbonara") - you end up making another, however tasty, dish. In this
>>> case, the resulting dish would perhaps be more akin to a kind of pilaff.

>>I think you are perfectly right Victor.
>>Parboiled rice is never used in genuine cuisine.
>>Instead it could be used by fast food restaurats.
>>But if you plan to make a genuine risotto, preserve your parboiled rice
>>for
>>your next rice salad!
>>Risotto is my speciality, and i've never used it and never will!
>>So keep up you good uses and keep parboiled rice away from your kitchen!
>>
>>> Have you thought of posting your parboiled-rice recipe to
>>> <news:it.hobby.cucina>, to provoke a riot or something? :)

> I'm late (just came back from holidays... in Italy!), but I have to
> agree with Victor and Caronteone. I love risotto, I love making it,
> and parboiled rice never enters my kitchen. Me, for risotto, I'm
> partial to Carnaroli :)
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of the
white one.
Cheers
Pandora

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:12:40 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
>But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
>internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of the
>white one.
>Cheers
>Pandora

Ah but you see, that's what I love in risotto: Soft outside, al dente
inside...
Do you know Gary Larson? He used to draw nonsensical stuff. I love the
drawing where two polar bears are watching from afar an igloo with
people in it. One bear says to the other: "I love those things!
Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside"...

Nathalie

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto
nel messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:12:40 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
>>But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
>>internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of
>>the
>>white one.
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> Ah but you see, that's what I love in risotto: Soft outside, al dente
> inside...

Many people do!

> Do you know Gary Larson? He used to draw nonsensical stuff. I love the
> drawing where two polar bears are watching from afar an igloo with
> people in it. One bear says to the other: "I love those things!
> Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside"...

Oh yes I have a book.
ROTFL Nice the story of the bears.!
Pandora

> Nathalie

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha
> scritto nel messaggio news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 00:21:36 +0200, "caronteone" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Victor Sack" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>news:1h0a6cj.y9fiysiq5h4wN%[email protected]...

>>>I think you are perfectly right Victor.
>>>Parboiled rice is never used in genuine cuisine.
>>>Instead it could be used by fast food restaurats.
>>>But if you plan to make a genuine risotto, preserve your parboiled rice
>>>for
>>>your next rice salad!
>>>Risotto is my speciality, and i've never used it and never will!
>>>So keep up you good uses and keep parboiled rice away from your kitchen!

>> I'm late (just came back from holidays... in Italy!), but I have to
>> agree with Victor and Caronteone. I love risotto, I love making it,
>> and parboiled rice never enters my kitchen. Me, for risotto, I'm
>> partial to Carnaroli :)
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

> Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
> But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
> internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of
> the white one.
> Cheers
> Pandora

Isn't arborio the rice supposed to be used in risotto?

"NEWS" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha
>> scritto nel messaggio news:[email protected]...

>>> I'm late (just came back from holidays... in Italy!), but I have to
>>> agree with Victor and Caronteone. I love risotto, I love making it,
>>> and parboiled rice never enters my kitchen. Me, for risotto, I'm
>>> partial to Carnaroli :)
>>>
>>> Nathalie in Switzerland

>> Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
>> But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
>> internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of
>> the white one.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora
>>

> Isn't arborio the rice supposed to be used in risotto?

Yes it is!
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "NEWS" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

<snipped>

>>> Oh Nathalie! I know that for risotto is better the white rice.
>>> But I don't love it particularly because it cook only externally while
>>> internally stay hard. This is why I often use parboiled rice in palce of
>>> the white one.
>>> Cheers
>>> Pandora
>>>

>> Isn't arborio the rice supposed to be used in risotto?

> Yes it is!
> Pandora

Carnaroli is another risotto rice. I have also had good results with bomba,
a Spanish rice that is used for paella.

--
Peter Aitken

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "NEWS" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>>
>>> "Pandora" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>>

> <snipped>

>>> Isn't arborio the rice supposed to be used in risotto?

>> Yes it is!
>> Pandora
>>>

> Carnaroli is another risotto rice. I have also had good results with
> bomba, a Spanish rice that is used for paella.

Ohhhhh! I have never heard of "bomba". Have you got a photo of it?
Cheers
Pandora