[Risotto] with spinach (Photo).

"sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:36:23 GMT, Pandora wrote:
>>
>> "sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > You're very practical, Pandora. No need to make things hard when you
>> > don't have to. IMO, if it's going to be cooked anyway - I might as
>> > well use frozen.

>> In summer you can use only frozen spinach, because it is a winter
>> vegetable
>> :)

> Spinach is still seasonal for you? Why winter only? We get it fresh
> year 'round here.

If you find them, they are very expensive! I prefer to buy them in the
winter.

>> Ps. Why do you say that I make "things hard"?
>>

> Hard in this case means "difficult".

I understood that you wanted to say "difficult" :))

I'm talking about procedure -
> so I mean adding steps such as at least more 2 steps of preparation,
> perhaps 3 if you wanted to chop the spinach too.

Next time I will be more precise! I thought they understood my recipe!

> I don't like all the washing (at least twice) and stem breaking I have
> to do to get to the point of cooking fresh spinach. So unless I'm
> using it in a salad (when I'd use baby/young spinach leaves) or a
> wilted (by hot dressing) salad, I don't bother with fresh. For
> instance, when I make soufflé or frittata - I use frozen, bagged
> spinach and I always keep a block/box/cube of frozen, chopped spinach
> in the freezer for those times I want to toss a little spinach into
> something on the spur of the moment... let's say soup.

But I have said the same thing :))))
Cheers
Pandora

"sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:36:23 GMT, Pandora wrote:
>>
>> "sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > You're very practical, Pandora. No need to make things hard when you
>> > don't have to. IMO, if it's going to be cooked anyway - I might as
>> > well use frozen.

>> In summer you can use only frozen spinach, because it is a winter
>> vegetable
>> :)

> Spinach is still seasonal for you? Why winter only? We get it fresh
> year 'round here.

If you find them, they are very expensive! I prefer to buy them in the
winter.

>> Ps. Why do you say that I make "things hard"?
>>

> Hard in this case means "difficult".

I understood that you wanted to say "difficult" :))

I'm talking about procedure -
> so I mean adding steps such as at least more 2 steps of preparation,
> perhaps 3 if you wanted to chop the spinach too.

Next time I will be more precise! I thought they understood my recipe!

> I don't like all the washing (at least twice) and stem breaking I have
> to do to get to the point of cooking fresh spinach. So unless I'm
> using it in a salad (when I'd use baby/young spinach leaves) or a
> wilted (by hot dressing) salad, I don't bother with fresh. For
> instance, when I make soufflé or frittata - I use frozen, bagged
> spinach and I always keep a block/box/cube of frozen, chopped spinach
> in the freezer for those times I want to toss a little spinach into
> something on the spur of the moment... let's say soup.

But I have said the same thing :))))
Cheers
Pandora

"sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:33:25 GMT, Pandora wrote:
>
>> They call "yellow rice" because the grains are really yellow. It isn't
>> arborio.
>> It is the pre cooked rice, the one that doesen't overkook; the one that
>> has
>> separated grains also if you forget it on the fire and also if you mix
>> and
>> mix for long time; the one that Chinese people doesn't use.

> I understand now, thanks. We call it "converted" rice and the most
> famous brand is "Uncle Ben's".

Uhhh! Uncle Ben's !!!! It remembers me the very good "tortillas chips":)))

When you said *yellow*, the thought of
> converted rice occured to me - but I'm too used to thinking of risotto
> as a restaurant dish or something to fuss over in the kitchen.
>
>> It is very good for rice salads and for risotti. It is no good to make
>> supplì.

> Supplì? That's a new one for me! Is this a representative recipe?
> http://www.recipezaar.com/57068

Oh Yes. This is a possible recipe, but is not the real roman recipe.
I have posted the recipe some days ago (but I don't remember well).!
Anyway i like supplì very much and I would eat them every minute.
They are food for gods (I say).
Anyway I saw the recipe over and i must say that red onion is too much
flavored;
I don't put chive but only parseley; the tomatoes shouldn't be fresh
(because the fresh are too waterfull); and mozzarella must be normal not of
bufala (because the bufala is too waterful); I don't put flours....and...
and I must say that the recipe is wrong! VERY Wrong !!!
They doesn't cook the rice and then put the fresh tomato inside (???????)...
No! How I said some posts ago, you must before make a Risotto with tomato
sauce and broth. Then you can make your supplì. If you are interesting I can
give you my recipe (like they do in Rome - I was born and lived in Rome for
many years).

> Thanks, here's Uncle Ben:
> http://www.unclebens.com/rice/default.aspx?prod=4

Oh! thank you! Anyway to make supplì you need white rice (Arborio).
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora <[email protected]> wrote:

> They call "yellow rice" because the grains are really yellow. It isn't
> arborio.
> It is the pre cooked rice, the one that doesen't overkook; the one that has
> separated grains also if you forget it on the fire and also if you mix and
> mix for long time; the one that Chinese people doesn't use. It is very good
> for rice salads and for risotti. It is no good to make supplì.
> Here is what I have found:
> http://tinypic.com/9bf7sg.jpgf

De gustibus non est disputandum, etc., but using parboiled rice for
risotto goes against the grain somehow. In fact, you have actually
provided an explanation: "separated grains". That is the opposite of
what one is supposed to look for in a risotto (and is the exact
counterpart to using chili peppers instead of black pepper in
"carbonara") - you end up making another, however tasty, dish. In this
case, the resulting dish would perhaps be more akin to a kind of pilaff.
Have you thought of posting your parboiled-rice recipe to
<news:it.hobby.cucina>, to provoke a riot or something? :)

Victor

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:33:39 GMT, Pandora wrote:

> > Supplì? That's a new one for me! Is this a representative recipe?
> > http://www.recipezaar.com/57068

> Oh Yes. This is a possible recipe, but is not the real roman recipe.
> I have posted the recipe some days ago (but I don't remember well).!

I'm not finding the recipe either.

> Anyway i like supplì very much and I would eat them every minute.
> They are food for gods (I say).
> Anyway I saw the recipe over and i must say that red onion is too much
> flavored;

<snip>
> They doesn't cook the rice and then put the fresh tomato inside (???????)...
> No! How I said some posts ago, you must before make a Risotto with tomato
> sauce and broth. Then you can make your supplì. If you are interesting I can
> give you my recipe (like they do in Rome - I was born and lived in Rome for
> many years).

Thanks, your way sounds better to me! Please post the recipe in a new
thread, no need to bury it here. ;)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:33:39 GMT, Pandora wrote:

> > Supplì? That's a new one for me! Is this a representative recipe?
> > http://www.recipezaar.com/57068

> Oh Yes. This is a possible recipe, but is not the real roman recipe.
> I have posted the recipe some days ago (but I don't remember well).!

I'm not finding the recipe either.

> Anyway i like supplì very much and I would eat them every minute.
> They are food for gods (I say).
> Anyway I saw the recipe over and i must say that red onion is too much
> flavored;

<snip>