Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

Marciosos6 Prob

Guest
(Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)

Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1434&ncid=1434&e=2&u=/acs/20031216/hl_acs/ritalin_h-
elps_beat_cancer_fatigue

The drug methylphenidate -- more commonly known as Ritalin (news - web sites), Concerta, Metadate,
or Methylin -- can help cancer patients fight off fatigue, according to researchers from M.D.
Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. The best effect comes from taking small doses throughout the day,
they report in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol. 21, No. 23: 4439-4443).

Most patients with advanced cancer will experience fatigue, a symptom that can destroy quality of
life. Although the fatigue sometimes stems from anemia and improves with increases in blood counts,
most often there is no specific cause and no ready treatment.

Methylphenidate is typically prescribed for ADHD, or attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, but
it has been used, with some success, to treat cancer fatigue. In this study, the researchers wanted
to better document this success by measuring symptom improvement through the use of specially
designed questionnaires.

Patients Felt Better Physically and Emotionally

The researchers enrolled 30 patients with advanced cancer and fatigue; the participants were given a
one-week supply of 5-mg methylphenidate tablets and told to take them as needed for fatigue. After 7
days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks. All the patients
reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

The researchers also found other evidence that the drug was helping. At the beginning of the study,
the patients rated their fatigue on a 0-10 scale, with 10 being the worst. The average was 7.2.
After 28 days of methylphenidate, their fatigue level had dropped to 4.4.

The patients also reported less depression and greater physical and emotional well-being. When the
researchers measured patient fatigue during the day, they noted a drop from morning to evening as
the effects of that day's treatment took hold.

Side Effects Minor

Side effects weren't a big problem. Two patients reported restlessness. Two others reported a loss
of appetite, although most actually found their appetites improved.

The authors acknowledge that bigger studies are needed to understand why methylphenidate works, how
long it remains effective, and how long it can safely be taken. But they were encouraged by the clear-
cut benefit of the drug in improving both the fatigue and the quality of life of these patients.

"JG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:kiRDb.1624$%[email protected]...
> "Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > (Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)
>
> > Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1434&ncid=1434&e=2&u=/acs/20031216/hl_acs/ritalin_h-
elps_beat_cancer_fatigue

> ...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are they
> gonna test meth, or crack?

They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable, since it is not addictive at
the doseages that werre administered.

>Subject: Re: Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue
>From: "JG" [email protected]
>Date: 12/16/2003 8:52 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> (Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)
>
>> Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET
>

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1434&ncid=1434&e=2&u=/acs
/20031216/hl_acs/ritalin_helps_beat_cancer_fatigue

>...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue!

Poor Mark.

He doesn't know why people drink coffee.

>What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol. 21, No. 23: 4439-4443).

Organized medicine pushing drugs.

Right up Mark's brain washed alley.

Jan

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Re: Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue From: "JG" [email protected] Date: 12/16/2003
> >8:52 PM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <kiRDb.1624$%[email protected]>
> >
> >"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> (Please repost for jan to read. She MUST know this!)
> >
> >> Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue Mon Dec 15, 7:00 PM ET
> >

> >http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1434&ncid=1434&e=2&u=/acs
> /20031216/hl_acs/ritalin_helps_beat_cancer_fatigue
> >
> >...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue!
>
> Poor Mark.
>
> He doesn't know why people drink coffee.
>
> >What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are they gonna test meth, or crack?
> >
> Journal of Clinical Oncology (Vol. 21, No. 23: 4439-4443).
>
> Organized medicine pushing drugs.
>
> Right up Mark's brain washed alley.

Jan, again, denies a REAl disease and its problems. She denies a person's right to seek effective
treatment, since it involves pharmaceuticals.

x-no-archive: yes

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:52:32 GMT, "JG" <[email protected]> wrote:

>...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are they
>gonna test meth, or crack?

LOL!

Atlas

The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:

After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks. All
the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.

It sounds like they were all addicted.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

In article <Cl%[email protected]>,
Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > ...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are
>> > they gonna test meth, or crack?
>> They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable, since it is not addictive
>> at the doseages that werre administered.
>
>The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:
>
> After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks. All
> the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.
>
>It sounds like they were all addicted.

Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working and they decided to stick with
'em. No doubt, had you been part of the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

Sure you would.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Cl%[email protected]...
> "Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > ...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are
> > > they gonna test meth, or crack?
> > They are addictive at just about any doseage, so MPH is far preferable, since it is not
> > addictive at the doseages that werre administered.
>
> The article didn't say that. Instead, it said:
>
> After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks. All
> the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it.
>
> It sounds like they were all addicted.

Can you read? They *chose* to continue. The doseages were not addictive, and the med was taken
orally. So far, no one has ever shown that oral MPH is addictive.

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote
> > After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks.
> > All the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it. It sounds
> > like they were all addicted.
> Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working and they decided to stick with
> 'em. No doubt, had you been part of the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but I'm
> afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.

It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to stay
on ritalin.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks.
> > > All the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it. It
> > > sounds like they were all addicted.
> > Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working and they decided to stick
> > with 'em. No doubt, had you been part of the study, you would have said "gee, these are working
> > but I'm afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.
>
> It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to stay
> on ritalin.

Twit. They were not denying anything.

There i sno mention of them being asked if they were addicted.

What they were enjoying was the ability to function all over again.

When it hits your home, you wil understand it.

x-no-archive: yes

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:37:08 GMT, "Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to stay
>on ritalin.

Yep. Typical for a Ritalin addict.

Atlas

In article <[email protected]>,
Roger Schlafly <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks.
>> > All the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it. It sounds
>> > like they were all addicted.
>> Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working and they decided to stick with
>> 'em. No doubt, had you been part of the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but
>> I'm afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.
>
>It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to stay
>on ritalin.

You're badk to your usual habit of deciding that your interpretation of circumstances is the only
correct one. It's a bad habit.

As Mark pointed out, they were not on addictive doses and were all taking the stuff orally, not
crushing and snorting it.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:52:32 GMT, "JG" <[email protected]> wrote:

>...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they think of next?!? <g> When are they
>gonna test meth, or crack?

Maybe... and I'd bet it would prove "useful" in this case. We seem to give quite a bit of leniency
towards cancer patients when it comes to giving them drugs.

I can imagine myself, God forbid, undergoing cancer treatment... smoking pot for the pain and
anorexia and crank for the fatigue. Wahooo!!!!!

PF

<[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing for 3 more weeks.
>> > All the patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it. It sounds
>> > like they were all addicted.
>> Only in Schlafly-land. To me, it sounds like the meds were working and they decided to stick with
>> 'em. No doubt, had you been part of the study, you would have said "gee, these are working but
>> I'm afraid that's addiction" and taken a pass.
>
>It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to stay
>on ritalin.

You are such a moron.

Ask your mother if she's addicted to Ritalin. She'll say she's not. Therefore, she is, by
your logic.

PF

"PF Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:52:32 GMT, "JG" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >...Imagine that, a stimulant helping beat fatigue! What'll they
think
> >of next?!? <g> When are they gonna test meth, or crack?

> Maybe... and I'd bet it would prove "useful" in this case.

Exactly my point. Granted, the side effects might make meth a bit rougher than Ritalin, but their
actions re: dopamine are about the same.

We seem to
> give quite a bit of leniency towards cancer patients when it comes to giving them drugs.

And well we should. How idiotic is it to tell someone with a terminal illness what the heck he
can/can't put in his body?!?

> I can imagine myself, God forbid, undergoing cancer treatment... smoking pot for the pain and
> anorexia and crank for the fatigue. Wahooo!!!!!

The usually bozoish Ninth Circuit would likely agree:

Appeals court sets aside federal marijuana law (from www.reutershealth.com; Health eLine, 12/17/03)
By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A federal appeals court allowed two very sick California women on Tuesday
to use marijuana, setting aside longstanding federal drug laws that bar such cultivation even for
medical purposes.

Growing marijuana for medical purposes is legal in California under a 1996 voter-approved state law,
but the measure clashes with federal law.

Angel Raich, who has an inoperable brain tumor, and Diane Monson, who suffers from severe back pain,
last year sued U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft. They sought an injunction against the act,
saying the 1970 federal Controlled Substances Act was unconstitutional.

A district court ruled against the women in March, but in a rare afternoon ruling, the 9th Circuit
Court of Appeals in San Francisco reversed the decision.

"We find that the appellants' class of activities -- the intrastate noncommercial cultivation,
possession and use of marijuana for personal medical purposes on the advice of a physician -- is, in
fact, different in kind from drug trafficking," the three-judge panel ruled.

"Further, the limited medical use of marijuana as recommended by a physician arguably does not raise
the same policy concerns regarding the spread of drug abuse."

The liberal court, with one judge dissenting, said the Controlled Substances Act was likely
unconstitutional as applied to the women.

"We find that the appellants have made a strong showing of the likelihood of success on the merits
of their case," the decision read. "We find that the hardship and public interest factors tip
sharply in the appellants' favor."

In his dissent, Judge C. Arlen Beam wrote: "Plaintiffs do not show there is a threat of future
prosecution or a history of past prosecutions, at least as applied to their unique factual
situations. I would doubt whether anyone can or will seriously argue that the DEA intends to
prosecute these two seriously ill individuals."

The Supreme Court has often overturned the 9th Circuit on cases it has chosen to review, and lower
court decisions on marijuana have sometimes provoked anger from the Bush administration.

One such instance that irked White House officials involved a federal judge sentencing "ganja guru"
Ed Rosenthal in June to a single day in jail -- the minimum possible punishment -- for growing
marijuana in violation of federal law.

> Angel Raich, who has an inoperable brain tumor, and Diane Monson, who suffers from severe back
> pain, last year sued U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft. They sought an injunction against the
> act, saying the 1970 federal Controlled Substances Act was unconstitutional.

Yes, they got a kooky opinion from the same judge who tried to cancel the recent California
governor's election.

But note that they sued the feds to get their attention. They were not being prosecuted. They were
free to grow marijuana for their own consumption anyway.

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote
> >It is common for addicts to deny that they are addicted. Note that every single one wanted to
> >stay on ritalin.
> As Mark pointed out, they were not on addictive doses ...

That was Mark's speculation. The study did not say that, or test whether anyone was addicted.
What we know is that all of the subjects, when given the opportunity to get off the drugs,
stayed on them.

Nicaragua village in grip of madness

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1108463,00.html

Doctors and traditional healers reach remote jungle community where 60 people are suffering from
mysterious collective mania

Rupert Widdicombe Wednesday December 17, 2003 The Guardian

A team of doctors, psychiatrists, and anthropologists have reached a remote Miskito community in the
jungles of northern Nicaragua where 60 people are suffering from a mysterious "collective madness".
The outbreak of the malady, known as grisi siknis in the local Miskut language, began in the Raiti
community near the Honduran border a month ago. Seven cases were reported in neighbouring Namahka
last week, where one 15-year-old girl is said to have died.

Other cases have appeared in three other nearby communities.

In all cases, the patients have the same symptoms: long periods of coma-like unconsciousness,
interrupted by sudden bouts of frenzied behaviour.

During the attacks, sufferers attempt to flee their communities with their eyes closed, seizing any
weapon they can find with which they appear to try to defend themselves against invisible attackers.

According to local press reports, they have extraordinary strength and often four people are
required to restrain them.

Community leaders in Raiti claim the outbreak of grisi siknis is the result of a curse. In Namahka,
the seven affected are all girls aged 14 to 18. Unconfirmed reports say the girl who died was Isabel
Wislop. She fled across the Coco river into Honduras, reaching the village of Panzap where she died.

The Nicaraguan government sent a medical team to Raiti including anthropologists and
traditional healers.

The Nicaraguan health minister, José Antonio Alvarado, said the Miskito healers sent to Raiti were
getting better results than those trained in western medicine.

"If [the affected] are given anti-convulsive drugs or anti-depressants there is no improvement, but
if they are given remedies by the healer they feel better," he said.

The medical team has taken samples of water from local wells and recommended that people only drink
coconut juice until they have tested the supply.

Mr Alvarado said a medical report carried out in the late 1950s after a similar outbreak concluded
that deliberate contamination of wells was one possible cause. "There are citizens that put
hallucinogenic substances in the well water that when combined with the anthropological aspects [of
the disease] can exacerbate people's behaviour."

The medical team is being led by Florence Levy, the region's health director.

She said there was no indication that a virus was responsible, but many different tests were being
carried out.

Dr Levy confirmed that the Miskito healers were leading the fight to bring the outbreak
under control.

"There's not much our doctors can do; we are giving support to the healers as they know the problem
better than us," she said.

"The population doesn't make use of [the Nicaraguan health service], because the illness is more
spiritual than physical, so they turn to the healer for the spiritual part."

The last major outbreak of grisi siknis began in 1910 and affected dozens of Miskito communities
throughout the region for 20 years.

It is estimated that some 25,000 people live in the Miskito communities on the banks or the
Coco river.

Three years ago about 80 people were affected in the community of Krin Krin. Many were successfully
treated by a healer, Carlos Salomon Taylor, who is part of the team now working in Raiti.

Mr Taylor is said to have demanded - and received - more than $700 from the health ministry for his
services. He claims that his treatment, which involves local plants and ancestral rituals, cures
most sufferers in 15 to 30 days.

Mr Taylor is one of five healers sent to Raiti, where 25 of the 60 sufferers are said to be
responding well to treatment.

Grisi siknis has been the subject of anthropological studies and is defined as a culture-specific
malady found only in the Miskito culture, although with many similarities to pibloktoq, or "arctic
hysteria", found in indigenous peoples of Greenland.

"Western health care people have often been sceptical of these attacks, labelling them 'mass
hysteria', or simply 'those crazy-acting Miskito people'," said Professor Phil Dennis, an
anthropologist at Texas Tech University who spent two years studying the phenomenon in the late
1970s. He says the attacks are very serious to those experiencing them and their families, and often
to entire Miskito communities. He witnessed four attacks during his research and said the patients
were "clearly in another state of reality".

According to Prof Dennis, grisi siknis is a "culture-bound syndrome" unique to the Miskito,
comparable to anorexia nervosa which is known only in the affluent west. "The culture-bound
syndromes force us to realize that health and disease are not simple biological matters, but a
complex interweaving of various aspects of being human. Grisi siknis is a very serious health
problem for Miskito people."