Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:48:15 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >I just re-read the entire link, and did not see a single line claiming it---I admit I cannot see
> >it and am asking you---begging you---to show me where it is.
> >
> >Then again, if even *you* cannot find it, it must not exist. I will take any future failure on
> >your part to provide such as your admission that
there
> >is no claim that this machine can diagnose hyper- and hypo-myopia.
>

> Is this really the best you can do?
>
> you were wrong and myopia is measured objectively.. your analogy with eyesight tests being
> subjective is false..

Thank you for your admission that there is no claim that this machine can diagnose these
conditions. Buny

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:49:53 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >I have repeated asked you to show me where the site you provided states this.
> >
> >I will take any future failure on your part to provide this information
as
> >your agreement that there is no claim on the site you provided that this machine objectively
> >measures myopia.
>
> Is this really the best you can do?
>
> you were wrong and myopia is measured objectively.. your analogy with eyesight tests being
> subjective is false..

Thank you for your admission that there is no claim that this machine diagnoses these
conditions. Buny

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:21:12 -0600, "SumBuny"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>reimbursed

>> >Those who are truly interested in *science* do not have problems
>providing
>> >cites for assertions...*True Scientists* realise that this is part of the process....
>> >
>> >Oh, I am sorry, I thought you were interested in science---where are your cites?
>>
>> There are no need for any cites to prove they are a battery of psychological tests..
>
>Oh...we only have to take your word for it?

no you could take the suggestion you clipped.. and look in any psychology primer under
psychometrics..

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:22:18 -0600, "SumBuny"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:30 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Oh, I am sorry, I thought you were interested in science---where are your cites?
>>
>> cites are not neccessarily the gold standard you seem to assune
>>

>> How drug firms 'hoodwink' medical journals
>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,11381,1101706,00.html
>

>Wow...and you are SO smart and education that you know all of this? I am impressed..

>.what is your degree in?

Sociology and Advanced and Abnormal Clinical Psychology.. Postgrad Social Research Methods..

not that its any concern of yours..

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:22:57 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:36:21 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:45:55 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>more personal abuse..
>>
>>your kill file faulty or you only pronounce your plonkings for effect..?
>
>Please show me where I have ever claimed to have you filtered/killfiled.

memory problems?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:34:40 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:25:15 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>>Some people seem to want one set of rules for them, and another for others...
>>
>>there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
>
>Now *this* is funny.
>
>Back into Bozoland with you, little one. G'won, now.

Section 1: What's a Usenet killfile, and what's it for?

1.1 What it is

A killfile, also known as a "bozo bin", "filter", and other terms, is a mechanism by which a reader
of Usenet can purposefully fail to see articles s/he is not interested in.

It works something like this: Sally Netter sees a thread in alt.support.childfree about colorless
green ideas. Sally isn't interested in them at all, and would prefer not to waste her time reading
about them. Sally tells her newsreader that it should "kill" or "filter" any thread in
alt.support.childfree whose Subject: line contains "colorless green ideas". From then on, whenever
Sally's newsreader opens alt.support.childfree, it scans the Subject: lines, and simply does not
display any articles with "colorless green ideas" in the Subject: line.

Sally may also decide that this Dorothea Salo person is an utter waste of bandwidth, and she doesn't
want to read any post written by her ever again. Sally can tell her newsreader not to display any
articles with "Dorothea Salo" or "[email protected]" in the From: header. (Note that Sally will
still have to read any articles which *reply* to Dorothea Salo, and which may quote something
Dorothea Salo wrote. There are ways around this, but they usually work only indifferently well. I
will happily discuss them in email, but they're too complicated to talk about in this FAQ.)

The details of this operation will vary by newsreader. See Section 2 for a list of commonly-used
newsreaders and how to create basic killfiles in them.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:47:42 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:22:57 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:36:21 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:45:55 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>more personal abuse..
>>>
>>>your kill file faulty or you only pronounce your plonkings for effect..?
>>
>>Please show me where I have ever claimed to have you filtered/killfiled.
>
>memory problems?

Not at all.

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:34:40 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:25:15 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>[snip]

>>>there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
>>
>>Now *this* is funny.
>>
>>Back into Bozoland with you, little one. G'won, now.

My shooing you back to "Bozoland" is in no way an indication that I have ever killfiled you.

Most of the time, I simply ignore you, as you're just not that interesting.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 00:59:50 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:47:42 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Please show me where I have ever claimed to have you filtered/killfiled.
>>
>>memory problems?
>
>Not at all.
>
>>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:34:40 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:25:15 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>[snip]

>>>Now *this* is funny.
>>>
>>>Back into Bozoland with you, little one. G'won, now.
>
>My shooing you back to "Bozoland" is in no way an indication that I have ever killfiled you.
>
>Most of the time, I simply ignore you, as you're just not that interesting.

oh I think I am going to cry..

while you are here you could make yourself useful for once.. Is their any difference between taking
Ritalin on an empty stomach as opposed to a full one? (20 mgs)

is it likey to make someone feel dizzy and as if they were going to pass out?

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:19:16 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>>Most of the time, I simply ignore you, as you're just not that interesting.
>>

>oh I think I am going to cry..
>
>while you are here you could make yourself useful for once..

Bob, it's not generally a good idea to inuslt someone while asking their assistance.

Have the best Christmas you can have.

Joe Parsons

>Is their any difference between taking Ritalin on an empty stomach as opposed to a full
>one? (20 mgs)
>
>is it likey to make someone feel dizzy and as if they were going to pass out?

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 04:48:22 GMT, Joe Parsons <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:19:16 +0000, jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>>Most of the time, I simply ignore you, as you're just not that interesting.
>>>

>>oh I think I am going to cry..
>>
>>while you are here you could make yourself useful for once..
>
>Bob, it's not generally a good idea to inuslt someone while asking their assistance.

Typical.. Like I said..as supportive as a Pirhana.. naturally your bloated self-pride is far more
important than a family in crisis on cristmas eve..

>Have the best Christmas you can have.

Not everybody sees cristmas an opportunity for self indugence and to sneer at those they consider
inferior and less fortunate..

for all your ill-gotten gains..as a human being you are really really poor

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
> > What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
> Pain?
> >... students who do not have "medical conditions" because the tests for
> them are
> > not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone remove their prescription
> > lenses, because that too is subjective, not objectively tested...
>
> Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are* objective. Perhaps you think that
> eyecharts are not objective, but most optometrists do all their diagnosis and testing with
> objective tests that look directly at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-
> checking the results.

Certain tests for myopia are objective. But any optometrist who prescribes based *only* on those
tests without doing a comprehensive subjective examination is definitely not one I would go to. The
crystalline lens of the eye is only 'looked' at for reasons of pathology, IMO, and generally not for
refractive purposes, unless of course you have an interest in Purkinje images. Besides, the
integrity of the entire visual system is taken into account when determining a person's refractive
status. To say the eyechart is just a way of double-checking the results is beyond belief. Are you
an optometrist? If so, where did you study?
--
Jeffrey

"Jeffrey" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
> > > ... not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone
remove
> > > their prescription lenses, because that too is subjective, not
objectively
> > > tested...
> > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
objective.
> Certain tests for myopia are objective. ...

That is the point. There are objective tests for myopia. There are no objective tests for ADHD.
Sumbuny seemed to think that ADHD was analogous for nearsightedness because there are no medical
tests for either. She is wrong.

Optometrists sometimes prescribe lenses for nearsighted patients who who unable to give reliable
feedback. It is not difficult at all, with the right equipment.

> Are you an optometrist?

No, but I have enough experience with them that I know what they do.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > I am happy to recognize the research. Yes, the physiological response when ritalin or cocaine
> > > is snorted or injected is much faster. It can
> > Now youhave to recognize that the rapid uptake of injected or snorted ritalin, met, etc. is what
> > makes it addictive, and that oral use at the prescribed doses does not make it addictive.
>
> Just show me the published scientific paper.

Ineducable moron. You've been presented with study after study that shows that the risk is minimal.

> Rush Limbaugh claims that

Who cares? Who is Rush Limbaugh?

le moo

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeffrey" <[email protected]> wrote
everyone
> remove
> objectively
> > > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
> objective.
> > Certain tests for myopia are objective. ...
>
> That is the point. There are objective tests for myopia. There are no objective tests for ADHD.
> Sumbuny seemed to think that ADHD was analogous for nearsightedness because there are no medical
> tests for either. She is wrong.

Sorry, Roger, but I'm taking you to task on your optometric assertions only, as that's my
profession. Look at my specific reply to your specifically ocular related paragraph.

> Optometrists sometimes prescribe lenses for nearsighted patients who who unable to give reliable
> feedback. It is not difficult at all, with the right equipment.
>
> > Are you an optometrist?
>
> No, but I have enough experience with them that I know what they do.

No comment.
--
Jeffrey

In article <mXSGb.14403$d%[email protected]>,
Happy Dog <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > Now youhave to recognize that the rapid uptake of injected or snorted ritalin, met, etc. is
>> > what makes it addictive, and that oral use at the prescribed doses does not make it addictive.
>>
>> Just show me the published scientific paper.
>
>Ineducable moron. You've been presented with study after study that shows that the risk is minimal.
>>
>> Rush Limbaugh claims that
>
>Who cares? Who is Rush Limbaugh?

He's a high-profile talk radio performer and drug abuser.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 18:09:47 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jeffrey" <[email protected]> wrote
>remove
>objectively
>> > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
>objective.
>> Certain tests for myopia are objective. ...
>
>That is the point. There are objective tests for myopia. There are no objective tests for ADHD.
>Sumbuny seemed to think that ADHD was analogous for nearsightedness because there are no medical
>tests for either. She is wrong.
>
>Optometrists sometimes prescribe lenses for nearsighted patients who who unable to give reliable
>feedback. It is not difficult at all, with the right equipment.
>
>> Are you an optometrist?
>
>No, but I have enough experience with them that I know what they do.

Talking of optometrists and such..

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories/0,1413,206~24495~1857753,00.html

In 1988 an ophthalmologist contacted us because his daughter had unexpectedly committed suicide
while taking Prozac. He was convinced that this antidepressant had somehow triggered her sudden
violent act.

We could find nothing in the medical literature to support his suspicion, and so we dismissed his
report as the desperate rationalization of a grieving parent. We assumed that a depressed young
woman might take her life, even on an antidepressant.

Some months later an article appeared in the American Journal of Psychiatry suggesting the link
might be real. Harvard psychiatrists reported that six patients had developed a preoccupation with
suicide within a few weeks of starting Prozac.

We later learned that the ophthalmologist's daughter had not been depressed. Her doctor had
prescribed Prozac off-label for an eating disorder. Why she hanged herself remains a mystery.

For years the Food and Drug Administration has debated whether Prozac and related antidepressants
could trigger suicide or other violent acts. For the most part, the agency has dismissed such
concerns as rare or unrelated to the medications.

Labeling for Prozac states, "The possibility of a suicide attempt is inherent in major depressive
disorder and may persist until significant remission occurs.''

Despite such reassurance, British regulators have just taken the unusual step of warning doctors
against prescribing many antidepressants for people under 18 years old. The authorities there
concluded that antidepressants such as Celexa, Effexor, Lexapro, Paxil and Zoloft could trigger
agitation, suicidal thoughts and self-injury. Prozac has not been included in this advisory.

The restriction of so many popular drugs for teenagers and children has taken many American
psychiatrists by surprise. The debate in England about the benefit-risk balance is likely to trigger
a similar controversy in the United States.

The FDA is now being forced to re-evaluate its position on the use of such SSRI antidepressants. And
some physicians are beginning to ask whether some adults might also be at risk while taking such
medications.

Readers of this column have shared compelling stories with us. One reported: "A 50-year-old old
friend of mine asked his doctor for something to put him in better spirits over the Christmas
holidays, since he had just broken up with his girlfriend. He started Zoloft and awoke in the middle
of the night with a strong urge to kill himself. He overcame the urge and never took another Zoloft.
Had he actually killed himself, it would have been written off as due to depression, though he and I
are convinced it was the pills.''

While millions of people have benefited from such drugs, some cannot tolerate the side effects.
Whether such antidepressants actually trigger suicidal thoughts in adults has not yet been
determined. But British regulators clearly believe they pose a problem for children.

"There's a greater and greater attempt by the pharmaceutical companies to define normal behaviours
as signs of illness and therefore as something that can be treated by their products,"

Professor Allan Horwitz

> [...]

of the night with a strong urge to kill himself. He overcame the urge and never took another Zoloft.
Had he actually killed himself, it would have been written off as due to depression, though he and I
are convinced it was the pills.''

While millions of people have benefited from such drugs, some cannot tolerate the side effects.
Whether such antidepressants actually trigger suicidal thoughts in adults has not yet been
determined. But British regulators clearly believe they pose a problem for children.

"There's a greater and greater attempt by the pharmaceutical companies to define normal behaviours
as signs of illness and therefore as something that can be treated by their products,"

Professor Allan Horwitz

> British regulators clearly believe they pose a problem for children.

OTOH, some people are more worried about the fish.

The researchers took brain, liver, and muscle samples from the fish and tested them for fluoxetine,
the active ingredient in the antidepressant Prozac. Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine, the metabolized
form of the drug, were found in every tissue sample and in high enough concentrations, Brooks says,
to warrant studies of their possible physiological effects. http://www.discover.com/web-exclusives/fish-on-
prozac1127/

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:03:31 GMT, "Roger Schlafly"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> British regulators clearly believe they pose a problem for children.
>
>OTOH, some people are more worried about the fish.
>
>The researchers took brain, liver, and muscle samples from the fish and tested them for fluoxetine,
>the active ingredient in the antidepressant Prozac. Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine, the metabolized
>form of the drug, were found in every tissue sample and in high enough concentrations, Brooks says,
>to warrant studies of their possible physiological effects. http://www.discover.com/web-exclusives/fish-on-
>prozac1127/

so SSRIs are becoming a major pollutant..

Environmental toxicologist Bryan Brooks and his colleagues collected bluegill, channel catfish, and
black crappie from Pecan Creek, a stream in the Dallas suburb of Denton, Texas, that is prime
dumping ground for effluent from the city’s waste treatment plant. The researchers took brain,
liver, and muscle samples from the fish and tested them for fluoxetine, the active ingredient in the
antidepressant Prozac. Fluoxetine and norfluoxetine, the metabolized form of the drug, were found in
every tissue sample and in high enough concentrations, Brooks says, to warrant studies of their
possible physiological effects.

Fluoxetine blocks nerves from gobbling up serotonin—a neurotransmitter known to elevate mood and
increase relaxation—from the synapses between communicating neurons. In humans, the result is less
anxiety and an improved sense of well-being.

this is..of course..only recyled PR.. as the headline this article says..

What will the consequences be?

__

"When society turns a blind eye to the dangers of drugs and rushes to embrace a pharmaceutical cure
for nearly every condition, there is almost no end to the harm that may result".

Thomas.J.Moore