Ritchey 2x9 Grip Shifters - Friction Mode?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Young, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    Along the lines of the person who asked if they could convert a road
    bike to an "upright" riding position, I'd like to do this too to and
    old, old genuine "10 speed" bike. No indexed shifing here!

    Nashbar has the Ritchey 2x9 Grip Shifters available for $15 but no
    information as to whether there's a friction mode available.
    Ritchey's website doesn't even list the product. Does anybody know if
    these shifter work have a friction mode, or are they index only?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

    Tags:

  2. "Tom Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nashbar has the Ritchey 2x9 Grip Shifters available for
    > $15 Ritchey's website doesn't even list the product.

    It's not a current product. A lot of slightly older Ritchey stock seems to
    have been reaching the discounters lately.

    > Does anybody know if these shifter work have a friction
    > mode, or are they index only?

    The left shifter is friction, but the right is index only.

    The Nashbar site description isn't very accurate. Ritchey's 2x9 system used
    a special 33t sprocket dished to overhang the hub flange, that was added to
    a standard 8-speed cassette to give a 9-speed cassette with 8-speed
    spacing. The Ritchey 'chainrings' listed by Nashbar are actually these
    special sprockets. The system was supposed to be used with one of Ritchey's
    OCR rims to keep the spokes and derailleur apart.

    The 1997 components catalogue here has some pictures and a description:

    http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/

    but beware, it's a 5.2 MB pdf.

    James Thomson