Ritchey Aero Pro OCR Wheels?

RS

Guest
For mid-low end wheels are the Ritchey Aero Pro any good? I'm always
drawn to an OCR rear with a fairly decent spoke count, in this case 32 for
real-world riding. Anyone had any problems with these wheels? thanks

RS wrote:
> For mid-low end wheels are the Ritchey Aero Pro any good? I'm always
> drawn to an OCR rear with a fairly decent spoke count, in this case 32 for
> real-world riding. Anyone had any problems with these wheels? thanks

If memory serves me correctly (i.e. If the wheels I have in mind are
indeed the same ones as you mention), you can do way better. The rim
is ok but the Ritchey hubs (especially the rear freehub) leaves a lot
to be desired (the specimens I saw were poorly sealed against the
elements).

There have also been some (isolated) reports of rim cracking at spoke
holes but I haven't personally seen this.

I personally think it's really hard to beat Shimano hubs for !/$ :)

RS wrote:
> For mid-low end wheels are the Ritchey Aero Pro any good? I'm always
> drawn to an OCR rear with a fairly decent spoke count, in this case 32 for
> real-world riding. Anyone had any problems with these wheels? thanks

I have one of their low end "Comp" level rear Aero OCR wheels and
neither I nor REI (where I bought it years ago) could never get it
totally round and true. I tried detensioning the whole thing and
redoing it, gave up for a while when the threads either in the spoke
nipples or the spokes started failing. I'm going to try to rebuild it
with some beefier spokes (originals are 15g).

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:38:19 -0800, RS wrote:

> For mid-low end wheels are the Ritchey Aero Pro any good? I'm always
> drawn to an OCR rear with a fairly decent spoke count, in this case 32 for
> real-world riding. Anyone had any problems with these wheels? thanks

I'd stay away from them. I had one (32h rear, DT Revolution spokes) which
cracked around the spoke holes, and the replacement rim did as well. I
substituted a Velocity Aerohead OCR rim and have had no problems with it.
I only weigh about 65Kg and I can't recall having any other rims fail in
that way in over 30 years of cycling.

Nick

RS wrote:
> For mid-low end wheels are the Ritchey Aero Pro any good? I'm always
> drawn to an OCR rear with a fairly decent spoke count, in this case 32 for
> real-world riding. Anyone had any problems with these wheels? thanks

Not the best hubset-a 105/Ultegra hubset or Veloce, laced to Velocity
rims, would be a better and maybe cheaper, hoice.