Ritchey Aero Pro Rims?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
For those not following the other thread on alternatives to Ksyriums... I'm also looking for a good alternative to using Mavic Open Pro or CXP33s for some training wheels.

Anyone have experience w/ the Ritchey Aero Pro rims? They are cheaper AND a lot lighter, so of course I'm suspicious...

Originally posted by Aztec
For those not following the other thread on alternatives to Ksyriums... I'm also looking for a good alternative to using Mavic Open Pro or CXP33s for some training wheels.

Anyone have experience w/ the Ritchey Aero Pro rims? They are cheaper AND a lot lighter, so of course I'm suspicious...

I built some and the quality was good. The OCR rear rim helps put more tension on the left side. The rim isn't really that much lighter than Open Pro. There are not eyelets or sockets. They are cheaper than Open Pro, but so are Velocity Aeroheads.
Velocity Aeroheads are available with OCR and a non-machined braking surface. I am keeping my Velocity rims to ride on myself.
I will let you know after 20,000 mile what I think, but so far I have not been disapointed with any Velocity rims. We ride them on our mountain tandem (26" 40 spoke Deep-V) and our 700C Touring tandem (Dyad 48 spoke). Lots of miles with heavy load and no problems. Neither of them have eyelets or sockets.