Ritchey "Break-Away" bike -- opinions?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I was just looking at Ritchey's new folding bike:

    http://www.ritcheylogic.com/babmain.htm

    It's an appealing idea, but that downtube/BB junction doesn't look too solid to me, despite claims
    of being 5x stronger than a normal welded joint. Any ideas?

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > I was just looking at Ritchey's new folding bike:
    >
    > http://www.ritcheylogic.com/babmain.htm
    >
    > It's an appealing idea, but that downtube/BB junction doesn't look too solid to me, despite claims
    > of being 5x stronger than a normal welded joint. Any ideas?
    >
    > Matt O.

    I'd rather have S&S couplings on my bike - definitely stronger than the metal it replaces (they have
    pictures showing the metal failing during stress tests and the couplings unscathed), super solid,
    failry light (even lighter if you dish out for the titanium ones!), low profile, and fairly well
    proven. Plus, they can be retrofitted.

    Jon Bond

  3. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'd rather have S&S couplings on my bike - definitely stronger than the metal it replaces (they
    > have pictures showing the metal failing during stress tests and the couplings unscathed), super
    > solid, failry light (even lighter if you dish out for the titanium ones!), low profile, and fairly
    > well proven. Plus, they can be retrofitted.

    I won't argue the merits of a frame with S&S couplers - I own one that I am very happy with - BUT
    you can't overlook the fact that the Breakaway is a production frame that's likely to be half to 2/3
    the price of a custom coupled frame.