Ritchey Compact Crankset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bigsky, May 20, 2004.

  1. bigsky

    bigsky Guest

    I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.

    Thanks
    bigsky

    Tags:

  2. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    If you don't need a new crank then there are lots of old ones with 110 bolt
    diameter. That used to be standard for touring and mid-range sport bikes.
    I even have one in my parts box.

    Bruce

    "bigsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    > project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    > relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    > the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    > release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    > know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    > Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.
    >
    > Thanks
    > bigsky

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    bigsky <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    : project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    : relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    : the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    : release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    : know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    : Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.

    TA do a very nice one called the Zepher Light. 34/48, 34/50 or 36/50 in
    compact 110 PCD. Also available in 130PCD or 135PCD.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  4. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    bigsky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    > project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    > relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    > the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    > release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    > know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    > Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.
    >
    > Thanks
    > bigsky

    Another one to consider is the Sugino compact...various models, but
    they're pretty much all the same with variations in the rings.
    Lickton's has them in 46/36/26 all alloy...I found one in 48/36/26
    with only the outer ring alloy, the others steel. Price is also all
    over the map--anywhere from $60 to $120. Yellow Jersey even sells a
    double version of this one.

  5. bigsky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    > project.

    Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change the
    gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you a
    different gear range? It will most likely give you a different shift
    pattern. Maybe, most likely, for the worse. My preferred gears,
    42x15 to 42x19, do not work well with a double 110mm bcd crank. The
    low end of this range falls at the upper end of the small
    chainring/small cogs and the lower end of the big chainring/big cogs.
    Or all on the very low end of the big chainring.

    Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on 99.9%
    of my miles.

    Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads. Whether
    they be in bicycles, vehicles, clothes, music, diets, etc. Advertise
    it and they will buy it.

  6. Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
    > TA do a very nice one called the Zepher Light. 34/48, 34/50 or
    > 36/50 in compact 110 PCD. Also available in 130PCD or 135PCD.

    TA did, unfortunately. They do another now, see Peter White's
    excellent <http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp>

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  7. Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change
    > the gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you
    > a different gear range?

    Obviously, as it goes down to a 34t.

    > Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    > rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on
    > 99.9% of my miles.

    Very much depends on where and who you are 8)

    > Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads.

    Actually 110BCD is a pretty old size and IMHO more suitable for many
    riders than 130BCD with a 39t. YMMV, of course.

    53/36,

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >bigsky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    >> project.

    >Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change the
    >gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you a
    >different gear range? It will most likely give you a different shift
    >pattern. Maybe, most likely, for the worse. My preferred gears,
    >42x15 to 42x19, do not work well with a double 110mm bcd crank. The
    >low end of this range falls at the upper end of the small
    >chainring/small cogs and the lower end of the big chainring/big cogs.
    >Or all on the very low end of the big chainring.

    _ You could get those gears with a 36 small ring.

    36x13 - 36x16.

    You wouldn't get as fine steps though if you have a
    15-16-17-18-19 somewhere in your cluster. Getting a compact
    crank does not mean getting a 50/34.

    >Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    >rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on 99.9%
    >of my miles.

    _ It works really well for me on 99.9% of my miles. There is a
    gap, but with careful choice of cluster you can put the gap at
    speed you don't use. If you live somewhere with long hills, it
    allows a very rational set of gears. I think if you're happy with
    a regular double it doesn't make much sense. It's really an
    alternative to a road triple. It works best with at least 9 gears
    in the back, but a 110mm double with 9 or 10 speed clusters can
    easily cover the same range as many triple ring setups with a lot
    less hassle and expense.

    >Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads. Whether
    >they be in bicycles, vehicles, clothes, music, diets, etc. Advertise
    >it and they will buy it.

    _ It's not a new fad, in many ways it duplicates the setup that
    you'd get with a Cyclotourist half-step triple and a 5 speed
    freewheel. IMHO it's a return to rationality. The fad IMHO is a
    53x12. Besides, you can always return to a 42/53 if you want.
    Having a compact double allows you to easily and relatively
    cheaply vary your gearing in a way that's just not possible
    with standard road doubles. You can get any even size you
    want from 34 to 56 in 110 bcd very easily and cheaply. Odd
    sizes are available, but tend to cost more.

    _ Booker C. Bense

  9. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    Helmut Springer wrote:
    > Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change
    >>the gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you
    >>a different gear range?

    > Obviously, as it goes down to a 34t.

    Actually a 33t if you get the TA ring. It is about 1.5 to 2 gears
    lower, depending upon how one wishes to count gears.

    >>Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    >>rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on
    >>99.9% of my miles.

    > Very much depends on where and who you are 8)

    No, Seaton's statement is false no matter what: the 110 *always*
    "works." I have a 53t big ring on my 110 double. I vary the inner ring
    from 33t up to 46t depending upon course need. A 130, for comparison,
    dies at a 38t. I don't know why the 130 and 135 even exist other than
    the market power of Shimano and Campy. There might be another reason; I
    am unaware of it.

    >>Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads.

    LOL.

    > Actually 110BCD is a pretty old size and IMHO more suitable for many
    > riders than 130BCD with a 39t. YMMV, of course.

    Yes, I think it was the Sugino AT that introduced this bolt circle over
    20 years ago.

  10. rosco

    rosco Guest

    "Helmut Springer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1T[email protected]
    > Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change
    > > the gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you
    > > a different gear range?

    > Obviously, as it goes down to a 34t.
    >

    > > Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    > > rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on
    > > 99.9% of my miles.

    > Very much depends on where and who you are 8)
    >

    > > Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads.

    > Actually 110BCD is a pretty old size and IMHO more suitable for many
    > riders than 130BCD with a 39t. YMMV, of course.
    >

    > 53/36,
    >
    > --
    > MfG/Best regards
    > helmut springer

    With an offering like a TA 110BCD Zeypher or Carmina you can do pretty much
    anything a 130 or 135BCD can do. Of course, the converse isn't true. If
    anything, 110BCD gives you a lot of flexibility to configure to your
    preference.

  11. bigsky

    bigsky Guest

    The bike I'm uprading has a double 53/40. The main reason for the
    upgrade is to replace a bad bottom bracket, upgrade from Ultegra 7spd to
    Campy 10 spd, and to have fun working on my bike. I'm in Florida so
    hills are not an immediate concern but I may be going on trips where a
    triple would be helpful. The main reason I was intrigued with the
    compact double is I wanted to get away from the inefficiencies with the
    normal double. Between the multiple cog/chainring crossovers and the
    gear inch differences that are difficult to even sense(conder tehm
    redundant), it seemed that a wider spread between chainrings with
    smaller changes between cogs would work better. In fact, as I started
    getting back into cycling I considered converting a triple crank to a
    wider double. Then I found out that others had the same idea (FSA,
    Ritchey). Funny thing is, I had never even heard any of the "fad", just
    considered it a "common sense" idea for my application/situation. One
    question remains: Can you replace the 50 with a 52 or 53 without
    shifting problems? Just curious. Thanks for the feedback.

    bigsky

    gwhite wrote:

    > Helmut Springer wrote:
    >
    >> Russell Seaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Exactly what are you upgrading? It seems your intent is to change
    >>> the gearing on your bike. Does a double 110mm bcd crank give you
    >>> a different gear range?

    >> Obviously, as it goes down to a 34t.

    > Actually a 33t if you get the TA ring. It is about 1.5 to 2 gears
    > lower, depending upon how one wishes to count gears.
    >
    >>> Maybe a 110mm bcd double crank works for special event once a year
    >>> rides, but its shift pattern would not be acceptable for me on
    >>> 99.9% of my miles.

    >> Very much depends on where and who you are 8)

    > No, Seaton's statement is false no matter what: the 110 *always*
    > "works." I have a 53t big ring on my 110 double. I vary the inner ring
    > from 33t up to 46t depending upon course need. A 130, for comparison,
    > dies at a 38t. I don't know why the 130 and 135 even exist other than
    > the market power of Shimano and Campy. There might be another reason; I
    > am unaware of it.
    >
    >>> Seems to me lots of people are taken in by the newest fads.

    > LOL.
    >
    >> Actually 110BCD is a pretty old size and IMHO more suitable for many
    >> riders than 130BCD with a 39t. YMMV, of course.

    > Yes, I think it was the Sugino AT that introduced this bolt circle over
    > 20 years ago.

  12. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Booker C. Bense <[email protected]> wrote:

    : _ You could get those gears with a 36 small ring.

    : 36x13 - 36x16.

    : You wouldn't get as fine steps though if you have a
    : 15-16-17-18-19 somewhere in your cluster. Getting a compact
    : crank does not mean getting a 50/34.

    No one gearing works for everyone. For me, one of the main benifts of
    my 34/48 double is that I can stay in the big ring most of the day.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  13. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Helmut Springer <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> TA do a very nice one called the Zepher Light. 34/48, 34/50 or
    :> 36/50 in compact 110 PCD. Also available in 130PCD or 135PCD.

    : TA did, unfortunately. They do another now, see Peter White's
    : excellent <http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp>

    Nah, they do. I bought one new two weeks ago......erm....though on
    looking at my crankset I see it's actually called a Vega Light

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360008481

    It's a very nice crankset though. Very light, very stiff. I guess
    this is the replacement for the Zepher.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  14. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    I am interested in the very same crank for the very same reasons. My frame is
    a Ritchey Road Logic with lots of Ritchey parts (stem, bars, post, wheels,
    etc.) so it was a natural to look at the new Ritchey WCS 110 V cranks. I'm
    having a hard time deciding between it and the upcoming Campy Record compact
    crankset. I've had much corespondance with the Ritchey tech staff as of late.
    The last word on the cranks from them was:

    Cranks should be her by the end of May and pedals will be close behind!!!!
    Johannes Schmidt
    Ritchey Design Inc.
    860 Hurlingame Ave.
    Redwood City, CA 94063
    p. (650) 587-6705
    f. (650) 261-1317
    www.ritcheylogic.com

    Well...it's now the end of May...I wonder where they are...

    bigsky <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    >project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    >relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    >the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    >release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    >know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    >Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.
    >
    >Thanks
    >bigsky

  17. bbense-<< Doesn't the Campy one use some wierd chainring size? >><BR><BR>

    The article said it wasn't 110mm, but they have a 34t small ring so it is
    smaller than 110...or maybe 110..we'll see.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  18. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > bbense-<< Doesn't the Campy one use some wierd chainring size? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The article said it wasn't 110mm, but they have a 34t small ring so it is
    > smaller than 110...or maybe 110..we'll see.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    I read (somewhere--cyclingnews?) recently that the trick has to do
    with the position of the hidden 5th bolt on the back of the arm not
    being in the same circle as that which would be drawn by going through
    the other bolts. Sounds very weird to me, but it would certainly
    guarantee that you always got the pins and ramps set up correctly!

  19. What gearing do you use? Cassette and chianrings.

  20. On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:47:09 +0000, bigsky wrote:

    > I am interested in getting a compact crankset for my bike upgrade
    > project. I have seen the FSA versions and know that Campagnolo will be
    > relasing a version in September. However, I was not as impressed with
    > the FSA version and I do not want to wait til September for the Campy
    > release. I know Ritchey is to release theirs this year, but does anyone
    > know when? If Ritcheys is September or later, I may just go with a
    > Centaur double until Campy releases theirs.

    Nonsense. All that a "compact" (road) crankset is is a 110mm bolt-circle
    5-arm crankset. These are ubiquitous. If you give a rat's ass about
    names, wait for the Campy one, but if you just want to ride, look for
    Sugino, or older Shimano, or any of many alternate crank brands.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
    _`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!