Ritchey DS Pro hubs question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by greyg8r, Jan 17, 2009.

1. greyg8r

greyg8r New Member

I picked up a pair of Ritchey DS Pro wheels for a very good price. The rims are very nice but the hubs, especially the front hub, is not as smooth as I would like. To my surprise, it does not have sealed bearings.

I already repacked the bearings but the hub is still not nearly as smooth as my old school Campy Record hubs were (the last hubs I had that did not have sealed bearings) or my current sealed bearings.

I am considering replacing the bearings and cones and repacking them. This is the easiest and least expensive option.

Has anyone replaced the cones and bearings and did it improve the smoothness?

Does anyone know anyone who makes a 20 hole, 45mm diameter flange hub?

Tags:

2. parawolf

parawolf New Member

What is the surface of the cup and cone like? Pull it apart, degrease it, wipe it dry and take to it with a ball bearing pen. Start running the pen the same way the bearings would run. Can you feel any imperfections around the cup or cone? What about up and down the race in a tangential line from the axle to the cup/cone lip? Does this feel like it is a smooth and predictable in it's arc? Or does it have a distinct wear in it?

If the wear of the cup/cone looks okay then the next thing is to consider is the surface of the bearings themselves. Do they look round and smooth with no visible pitting? When you repack them, how much grease do you use? Check this article out about using too much which will inhibit effective rolling.

Once all this is sorted, correct bearing preload and quick release tension will ensure smooooth spinning.