Ritchey Super Logic bottom bracket installation.

I got this a while back for a project bike and finally got around to
putting the bike together. For some reason the only way I could get
this bottom bracket on was with the fixed cup on the right side and the
adjustable cup on the left side. Are these bottom brackets made to be
put on this way ? There were no instructions in or on the box. Or
were these part of some screwed up reverse threaded bottom bracket
batch?

Yes
So far as I know all bikes have the fixed cup of the rt. side. There
are probably some wired boles made in inner Mongolia that are
different, but the vast majority of reasonably modern bikes (<60yrs
old) are this way.
John

[email protected] wrote:
> Yes
> So far as I know all bikes have the fixed cup of the rt. side. There
> are probably some wired boles made in inner Mongolia that are
> different, but the vast majority of reasonably modern bikes (<60yrs
> old) are this way.

Not so. Modern cartridge BB units are made both ways, lip
on the left and lip on the right. Often different models
by the same manufacturer

Shimano for example. I just picked up two. UN70 fixed side
is left. UN53 is right.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
the left. The Shimano BB's I had lying around were the same so I
extrapolated from that. The Ritchey is kind of weird in that there is
a ring to adjust the bearing load on the left side.

[email protected] wrote:

> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
> the left.

Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the right.

Sheldon "Aide-Memoire" Brown
| There is a remedy for everything; |
| it is called death. |
| --Portuguese Proverb |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
>> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
>> the left.

> Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the right.
>
> Sheldon "Aide-Memoire" Brown

Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
bike from the front, you would call that the left.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy

[email protected] wrote:

>>> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
>>> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
>>> the left.

I replied:

Someone else wrote:

> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
> cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
> bike from the front, you would call that the left.

Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
wheels on the right? ;-)

Sheldon "The Fixed Cup Is On The Starboard Side" Brown
| It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid |
| than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain |

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> I replied:
>

>>> Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the
>>> right.

> Someone else wrote:
>

>> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The
>> fixed cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you
>> view the bike from the front, you would call that the left.

> Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
> wheels on the right? ;-)

Ummm... if you bust out the windshield, and sit on the dash facing
backwards to drive... Gotta rig up sumpin' funny for the pedals, though.

Mark Janeba

Sheldon Brown said:
[email protected] wrote:

>>> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
>>> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
>>> the left.

I replied:

Someone else wrote:

> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
> cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
> bike from the front, you would call that the left.

Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
wheels on the right? ;-)

Sheldon "The Fixed Cup Is On The Starboard Side" Brown
| It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid |
| than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Dear Sheldon,

Er, am I missing something?

Cheers,

Cliff Claven

[email protected] wrote:

> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
> the left. The Shimano BB's I had lying around were the same so I
> extrapolated from that. The Ritchey is kind of weird in that there is
> a ring to adjust the bearing load on the left side.

Almost.
The traditional system has a thin lip on the chain side cup.
That cup is set tightly, so tightly as to be called the
"fixed cup". The right cup is normally not moved except
when replaced. For routine maintenance it is cleaned in
place. The off side (left) is adjustable and secured with a
lockring.

--

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Someone else wrote:
>

>> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The
>> fixed cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you
>> view the bike from the front, you would call that the left.

> Why would you do that?...

If the person were a stoker on this tandem:
<http://tandem-fahren.de/Modelle/Lieger/flevo.jpg>. :)

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Sheldon Brown said:
[email protected] wrote:

>>> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
>>> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
>>> the left.

I replied:

Someone else wrote:

> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
> cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
> bike from the front, you would call that the left.

Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
wheels on the right? ;-)

Sheldon "The Fixed Cup Is On The Starboard Side" Brown
| It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid |
| than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Dear Sheldon,

The vote is 2-1 in your favor here:

http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg

I can't find any pictures of the similar Counterpoint Trio.

Carl Fogel

Wow, it's been so long time since I have used a loose ball bearing
bottom bracket I've forgotten what they look like. This Ritchey is a
cartridge bearing bottom bracket but has a lock ring like the old
school bottom brackets.

carlfogel wrote:

> Dear Sheldon,
>
> The vote is 2-1 in your favor here:
>
> http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg
>
> I can't find any pictures of the similar Counterpoint Trio.

Is the Bilenky simply a copy of the Counterpoint, the same way the
Bilenky Viewpoint is a copy of the Counterpoint Opus IV (and the Pashley
PDQ and PDQ3 are copies of the Counterpoint Presto and Triad)?

--

[email protected] wrote:

> Is this tandem manufactured? Or just a concept bike? John

I understand that it is/was a production bike, but I have never seen one.

I can verify that the Mic Wic Delta back-to-back tandem exists, have
seen one in person.
<http://www.encycleopedia.com/index.cfm?pid=23&edID=303&thePage=photos>

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island