Ritchey WCS Road Wheel - Rear Hub/Freehub Serviceable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Martin

In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still on the
wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because the cassette
no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey WCS hubs? I took it
apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the beast. It looks like the hub
bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but the freehub looked to be a one piece
item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I can use it as a wheel for my fixed...

-a

[email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still on the
> wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because the cassette
> no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey WCS hubs? I took
> it apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the beast. It looks like the
> hub bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but the freehub looked to be a one
> piece item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I can use it as a wheel for my
> fixed...
>
> -a

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm

How to remove a Ritchey freehub:

To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette, then loosen the set screw
spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non drive
side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub. Ritchey offers
a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your dealer.

Ok - got this far, but the damn thing won't budge. I sunk $11 on a 12mm Allen, so now I HAVE to fix
it. Any other ideas???

-a

Probably very tight. Try putting the allen in a vise, turn the wheel?

> [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still on
> > the wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because the
> > cassette no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey WCS
> > hubs? I took it apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the beast. It
> > looks like the hub bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but the freehub
> > looked to be a one piece item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I can use it as a
> > wheel for my fixed...
> >
> > -a
>
> http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm
>
> How to remove a Ritchey freehub:
>
> To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette, then loosen the set screw
> spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non drive
> side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub. Ritchey
> offers a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your dealer.
>
> Ok - got this far, but the damn thing won't budge. I sunk $11 on a 12mm Allen, so now I HAVE to
> fix it. Any other ideas???
>
> -a

I used to clean and grease my freewheel every year. But I don't bother with a freehub [cassette]
Partly because the grease from the wheel hub, which is positioned on the outside of the cassete
mechanism, tends to leach into the cassette, lubing it automatically.

But mostly because I have yet to find a way to disassemble the @#$%^ thing! If anybody here knows
how, please post the method (or "E" it to
me). I would like to be able to clean it every now and then...

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

> [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
> > In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still on
> > the wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because the
> > cassette no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey WCS
> > hubs? I took it apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the beast. It
> > looks like the hub bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but the freehub
> > looked to be a one piece item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I can use it as a
> > wheel for my fixed...
> >
> > -a
>
> http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm
>
> How to remove a Ritchey freehub:
>
> To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette, then loosen the set screw
> spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non drive
> side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub. Ritchey
> offers a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your dealer.

"Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok - got this far, but the damn thing won't budge. I sunk $11 on a 12mm Allen, so now I HAVE to
> fix it. Any other ideas???

Hold the allen key in a vise and spin the wheel.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
> > > In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still on
> > > the wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because the
> > > cassette no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey WCS
> > > hubs? I took it apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the beast.
> > > It looks like the hub bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but the
> > > freehub looked to be a one piece item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I can
> > > use it as a wheel for my fixed...
> > >
> > > -a
> >
> > http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm
> >
> > How to remove a Ritchey freehub:
> >
> > To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette, then loosen the set screw
> > spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non drive
> > side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub. Ritchey
> > offers a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your dealer.
>
>
>
> "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ok - got this far, but the damn thing won't budge. I sunk $11 on a 12mm Allen, so now I HAVE to
> > fix it. Any other ideas???
>
>
> Hold the allen key in a vise and spin the wheel.

Tried it last night. No love. All I got was spokes popping. I had 4 hands on the wheel so as to not
have uneven pressure, and it still wouldn't budge. Time for the dealer.

a

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message
> I used to clean and grease my freewheel every year. But I don't bother with a freehub [cassette]
> Partly because the grease from the wheel hub, which is positioned on the outside of the cassete
> mechanism, tends to leach into the cassette, lubing it automatically.
>
> But mostly because I have yet to find a way to disassemble the @#$%^ thing! If anybody here knows
> how, please post the method (or "E" it to
> me). I would like to be able to clean it every now and then...

If you have a Shim. free hub, Paul Moriningstar makes a slick device to clean & lube Shim. freehubs
called "Freehub Buddy". ~$20 If you can't find his phone on some of Sheldon links to links, e-mail
me & I'll get it from my from my tool instructions in my garage. You also need to buy a replaceable
seal for the rt side. ~$5. It's probably been discussed in this group.

Of course the above is only applicable if you have Shim. hub. John

> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (Andrew Martin) wrote in message
> > > > In my bike cleaning foolishness, I overzealously de-greased my cassette while it was still
> > > > on the wheel. Apparently, some of the degreaser got will into the Freehub and wheel, because
> > > > the cassette no longer free wheels. Has anyone had any experience with servicing the Ritchey
> > > > WCS hubs? I took it apart, and there didn't seem to be an obvious way into the guts of the
> > > > beast. It looks like the hub bearings are sealed, so I might be able to dig those out, but
> > > > the freehub looked to be a one piece item. Any ideas on how to get at the bits? Otherwise, I
> > > > can use it as a wheel for my fixed...
> > > >
> > > > -a
> > >
> > > http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtechhm.htm
> > >
> > > How to remove a Ritchey freehub:
> > >
> > > To remove the freehub, you are going to have to remove the cassette, then loosen the set screw
> > > spacer nut on the drive side, pop out the axel with a light tap of the mallet, (to the non
> > > drive side) then with a 12mm allen, go in from the non drive side and loosen the free hub.
> > > Ritchey offers a special 12mm Allen wrench to make re-installation easier. Please consult your
> > > dealer.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Andrew Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Ok - got this far, but the damn thing won't budge. I sunk $11 on a 12mm Allen, so now I HAVE
> > > to fix it. Any other ideas???
> >
> >
> > Hold the allen key in a vise and spin the wheel.
>
> Tried it last night. No love. All I got was spokes popping. I had 4 hands on the wheel so as to
> not have uneven pressure, and it still wouldn't budge. Time for the dealer.
>
> a

Vice trick at the shop proved no more effective. Time to get in touch with Ritchey.

Status
Not open for further replies.