Ritchey WCS Wheelset??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joel Street, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Joel Street

    Joel Street Guest

    Anyone using these road wheels? I have the opportunity to buy a new 2003 set and would like to hear
    from anyone who has experience with them. Are they durable, how are the hubs, etc...

    Thanks! Joel

    Tags:

  2. Scott Demel

    Scott Demel Guest

    I have the "Pro" wheelset from 2001: Zero hubs, 28F/32R, bladed spokes. I've put at least 5000 miles
    on them without much trouble. I do believe that the blades and aero profile of the rim make a
    difference. Good qaulity overall though they seem to have a bad reputation and are not very common.
    However, the rear wheel does feel a little soft when pushing *really* hard. Perhaps the narrow
    flange width is too narrow to provide a good base for support?

    I did break a spoke, though I think it was due to an improper truing, so I do it myself now. One
    quirk: I have found that spokes can slowly work themselves loose at the nipple. I just take the time
    to check them every 4-500 miles to be sure everything stays nice and tight. No problems since.

    Maintainable with normal tools, durable, aero, regular nipples, reasonable weight, can replace
    broken spokes with regular round one in a pinch... what more could you want?

  3. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    I have both Pros and a new set of Campy Compatible WCS wheels. I think they are decent wheels but
    don't come tensioned well. Get them tensioned properly and they are strong and ride nicely.

    Terry

    scott demel wrote:
    > I have the "Pro" wheelset from 2001: Zero hubs, 28F/32R, bladed spokes. I've put at least 5000
    > miles on them without much trouble. I do believe that the blades and aero profile of the rim make
    > a difference. Good qaulity overall though they seem to have a bad reputation and are not very
    > common. However, the rear wheel does feel a little soft when pushing *really* hard. Perhaps the
    > narrow flange width is too narrow to provide a good base for support?
    >
    > I did break a spoke, though I think it was due to an improper truing, so I do it myself now.
    > One quirk: I have found that spokes can slowly work themselves loose at the nipple. I just take
    > the time to check them every 4-500 miles to be sure everything stays nice and tight. No
    > problems since.
    >
    > Maintainable with normal tools, durable, aero, regular nipples, reasonable weight, can replace
    > broken spokes with regular round one in a pinch... what more could you want?

  4. joel-<< Anyone using these road wheels? I have the opportunity to buy a new 2003 set and would like
    to hear from anyone who has experience with them. Are they durable, how are the hubs,

    I would have a good wheelbuilder ensure they are tensioned, dished, true and round, and stress
    relieved before you ride them. Not a bad design but sometimes a poor build.