Ritchey WCS Wheelset??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joel Street

Anyone using these road wheels? I have the opportunity to buy a new 2003 set and would like to hear
from anyone who has experience with them. Are they durable, how are the hubs, etc...

Thanks! Joel

I have the "Pro" wheelset from 2001: Zero hubs, 28F/32R, bladed spokes. I've put at least 5000 miles
on them without much trouble. I do believe that the blades and aero profile of the rim make a
difference. Good qaulity overall though they seem to have a bad reputation and are not very common.
However, the rear wheel does feel a little soft when pushing *really* hard. Perhaps the narrow
flange width is too narrow to provide a good base for support?

I did break a spoke, though I think it was due to an improper truing, so I do it myself now. One
quirk: I have found that spokes can slowly work themselves loose at the nipple. I just take the time
to check them every 4-500 miles to be sure everything stays nice and tight. No problems since.

Maintainable with normal tools, durable, aero, regular nipples, reasonable weight, can replace
broken spokes with regular round one in a pinch... what more could you want?

I have both Pros and a new set of Campy Compatible WCS wheels. I think they are decent wheels but
don't come tensioned well. Get them tensioned properly and they are strong and ride nicely.

Terry

scott demel wrote:
> I have the "Pro" wheelset from 2001: Zero hubs, 28F/32R, bladed spokes. I've put at least 5000
> miles on them without much trouble. I do believe that the blades and aero profile of the rim make
> a difference. Good qaulity overall though they seem to have a bad reputation and are not very
> common. However, the rear wheel does feel a little soft when pushing *really* hard. Perhaps the
> narrow flange width is too narrow to provide a good base for support?
>
> I did break a spoke, though I think it was due to an improper truing, so I do it myself now.
> One quirk: I have found that spokes can slowly work themselves loose at the nipple. I just take
> the time to check them every 4-500 miles to be sure everything stays nice and tight. No
> problems since.
>
> Maintainable with normal tools, durable, aero, regular nipples, reasonable weight, can replace
> broken spokes with regular round one in a pinch... what more could you want?

joel-<< Anyone using these road wheels? I have the opportunity to buy a new 2003 set and would like
to hear from anyone who has experience with them. Are they durable, how are the hubs,

I would have a good wheelbuilder ensure they are tensioned, dished, true and round, and stress
relieved before you ride them. Not a bad design but sometimes a poor build.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.