Ritchey Wheel Spokes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe Gilmore, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Joe Gilmore

    Joe Gilmore Guest

    I have a set of Ritchey wheels with the rear being "OCR" (off center rear). These are the stock
    wheels that came with this 2001 bike (last year they made them).My bike is a Schwinn Peloton frame
    with Ultegra drivetrain.

    On 3 occassions I've had a broken spoke (flat bladed spokes). Recently, my LBS recommended and
    replaced the flat spokes with convention steel round spokes and he purposely laced them a
    different way. Now, twice the same spoke has separated from the nipple even though it doe not seem
    to be stripped.

    Any ideas at all re where/how I could troubleshoot this problem further?

    I'll appreciate any thoughts/ideas you are willing to share.

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Joe Gilmore writes:

    > I have a set of Ritchey wheels with the rear being "OCR" (off center rear). These are the stock
    > wheels that came with this 2001 bike (last year they made them). My bike is a Schwinn Peloton
    > frame with Ultegra drivetrain.

    > On 3 occassions I've had a broken spoke (flat bladed spokes). Recently, my LBS recommended and
    > replaced the flat spokes with convention steel round spokes and he purposely laced them a
    > different way. Now, twice the same spoke has separated from the nipple even though it doe not seem
    > to be stripped.

    > Any ideas at all re where/how I could troubleshoot this problem further?

    Where did you flat spokes break. If it was not in the flat part (or its transition) then "flat
    spokes" was not your problem, and I doubt that it was. The reason why your spokes unscrewed is that
    they were not tightened enough, a way that some folks think will prevent spoke failure... it won't.

    I get the impression that this bicycle mechanic doesn't know what he is doing and is acting on myth
    and lore of bicycling that is notoriously full of misconceptions. You could do all this yourself and
    be an expert on it if you are able and willing to read. Many bicycle mechanics do neither. If you
    look into this by reading "the Bicycle Wheel" that you can get from various sources including:

    http://www.avocet.com/wheelbook/wheelbook.html http://tinyurl.com/8yl8
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/

  3. joegilmore-<< I have a set of Ritchey wheels with the rear being "OCR" (off center rear). These are
    the stock wheels that came with this 2001 bike (last year they made them).

    << Recently, my LBS recommended and replaced the flat spokes with convention steel round spokes and
    he purposely laced them a different way.

    ???

    Loose or broken spokes means the tension is not equal around the wheel, generally meaning the rim is
    warped, not round, flat any longer, often from a porr build.

    << Now, twice the same spoke has separated from the nipple even though it doe not seem to
    be stripped.

    Wheel needs to be tensioned, trued, rounded and dished and stress relieved...and then the teniosn
    checked. If it is irregular around the wheel...need a new rim.

    Unless the spoke batch is a 'bad one'(unlikely) I would look to the rim as the problem(from above
    mentioned poor build), not the spokes.

  4. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    I had several spokes break on my Ritchey front wheel for no apparent reason. I contacted Ritchey and
    they told me that they had a batch of OCR wheels built with defective spokes. Long story short; they
    rebuilt my wheel with new spokes.

    news:<[email protected]>...