Ritchey Zero system rear wheel

cliff

New Member
Apr 19, 2003
The Ritchey Zero system rear wheel attempts to even spoke tension by using an offset drilled rim with a hub that has narrower flange spacing: the right flange is significantly further inboard compared to a shimano hub. The drive side and non-drive side spokes are indeed closer in tension than a "standard" wheel, but the spoke "bracing angle" is reduced on the left.

Given two wheels with the same spoke count, same spoke guage and crossing pattern, and equal drive side tension, which wheel is stronger, the Ritchey with the narrow flanges and more even spoke tension, or the standard wheel with a greater "bracing angle" due to the wider flange seperation?

Cliff

My experience with the Ritchey offset rims is that they
crack around the spoke holes after only a few months of
use. I've had no such problems with the Velocity Aerohead
offset rims.

Nick

"cliff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Ritchey Zero system rear wheel attempts to even spoke
> tension by using
an offset drilled rim with a hub that has narrower flange
spacing: the right flange is significantly further inboard
compared to a shimano hub. The drive side and non-drive side
spokes are indeed closer in tension than a "standard" wheel,
but the spoke "bracing angle" is reduced on the left.

> Given two wheels with the same spoke count, same spoke
> guage and crossing pattern, and equal drive side tension,
> which wheel is stronger, the Ritchey with the narrow
> flanges and more even spoke tension, or the standard wheel
> with a greater "bracing angle" due to the wider flange
> seperation?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:26:44 +1000, "LAN Support" <[email protected]>
scribbled:

>My experience with the Ritchey offset rims is that they
>crack around the spoke holes after only a few months of
>use. I've had no such problems with the Velocity Aerohead
>offset rims.
>
>Nick

I've been using a set of OEM'd Ritchey "Rock Comp" OCR
wheels on my bike since June '02, put about 2600 miles on
them on all kinds of terrain and they seem to be holding up
pretty good. Occasionally get whacked out of true a little,
but I've so far been able to keep 'em relatively straight
with some spoke wrenching. No cracking yet, though now
having said it...

-Slash
--
"Ebert Victorious"
-The Onion

Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:26:44 +1000, "LAN Support"
> <[email protected]> scribbled:
>
> >My experience with the Ritchey offset rims is that they
> >crack around the spoke holes after only a few months of
> >use. I've had no such problems with the Velocity Aerohead
> >offset rims.
> >
> >Nick
>
> I've been using a set of OEM'd Ritchey "Rock Comp" OCR
> wheels on my bike since June '02, put about 2600 miles on
> them on all kinds of terrain and they seem to be holding
> up pretty good. Occasionally get whacked out of true a
> little, but I've so far been able to keep 'em relatively
> straight with some spoke wrenching. No cracking yet,
> though now having said it...
>
> -Slash

Why doesn't someone try to answer the question which is to
do with wheel strength and not the relative durability of
different rim brands?

Nigel Grinter