Rivendell Atlantis or Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road??

Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road or Rivendell Atlantis?

• Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rivendell Atlantis

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

drao

Jul 10, 2003
I am planning on a cross-USA tour within a couple of years, and I am trying to decide between these two bicycles. The BG is made for touring specifically ( www.bgcycles.com/rnr.html and a good comparison between BG and Rivendell Heron at www.bgcycles.com/faq.html ). Price is about the same (BG is ~USD 300 more expensive) but I am wondering which will serve me better. Rivendell's lugged frame is nice, but BG has thicker walled tubing.

For the second web site above with the comparison, if some of you with the Rivendell Atlantis could fill in some blanks and let me know what you think, that would be great! I would appreciate feedback from anyone who can help me out! Thanks!

-D
Raleigh, NC, USA

Originally posted by drao
I am planning on a cross-USA tour within a couple of years, and I am trying to decide between these two bicycles. The BG is made for touring specifically ( www.bgcycles.com/rnr.html and a good comparison between BG and Rivendell Heron at www.bgcycles.com/faq.html ). Price is about the same (BG is ~USD 300 more expensive) but I am wondering which will serve me better. Rivendell's lugged frame is nice, but BG has thicker walled tubing.

For the second web site above with the comparison, if some of you with the Rivendell Atlantis could fill in some blanks and let me know what you think, that would be great! I would appreciate feedback from anyone who can help me out! Thanks!

-D
Raleigh, NC, USA
I'm not really familiar with the Bruce Gordon, other than the website. But I don't think you can beat a Rivendell. The lugs are beautiful, the craftsmanship is outstanding, and Rivendells have some of the very best paint jobs out there. And Grant Petersen and the staff at Rivendell have a lot of what I think are good ideas about gearing, components, etc. I'm not sure I'd go with all of their recommendations, but they have given a lot thought backed up with experience about what makes a great bike.
Have you called or e-mailed Rivendell? I would think that Grant Petersen would be glad to answer your questions.
Good luck!

I think the Atlantis is an excellent bike. I haven't ridden one so I can only say that it would be hard to go wrong with any of Rivendell's bikes. Look hard at the Romulus and Rambouillet bikes, too. The Romulus is their replacement for the All-Rounder. It looks like it can handle nice wide tires, fenders, and all the stuff necessary for touring. A plus for going with Riv is that you spec' the components. That way you can put the stuff on the bike that makes you happy.

Instead of buying a Rivendell or BLT right now, get a less expensive touring bike and see what works for you. There seem to be lots of used Cannondale T800s and Trek 520s on eBay. You can put some miles on them, modify them to suit your needs, and figure out what works and doesn't work. That way when it comes to the big dollar purchase, you're better able to put together the bike of your dreams.

I'm in the process of upgrading a Novara Randonee so that it has the components I want. It's a great platform, but I wanted a better touring gear range instead of 30-42-52t, so I'm looking at replacing the crankset. I'm also putting a moustache bar and bar end shifters on it. The main purpose of this bike will be as a commuter. Eventually I want to buy that "lifetime" bike. But for now this will do just fine.

drao said:

-D
Raleigh, NC, USA
Rivendell no longer makes the Heron.And the Heron does not even compare to the Atlantis.The BG is made out of plain 4130 cormo so it has to be thicker than the heattreated tubing in the Atlantis. The Atlantis is more than stout enough for loaded touring.You have to compare apples to apples.

drao said:

-D
Raleigh, NC, USA

Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road is TIG welded butted 4130 Custom CroMo tubing with 1.0 mm thick walls at the butts and 0.7 mm thick walls in the middle sections.
I think either will work for you.

Bruce Gordon's bicycles don't look as nice, but they work very well and hold up under fully loaded touring very well. An integrated package of Bruce Gordon bicycle with Bruce Gordon racks works very well. I have toured North America and Western Europe on a Bruce Gordon Touring bicycle with Bruce Gordon racks.

Have you also looked at the Waterford Bikes Models 1900 and T-14?

http://www.waterfordbikes.com/2004/data/bicycles/stock/ac/index.php

Tubus Cargo and Tara racks work well on the Waterford bicycles.

Rivendell and Waterford bicycles are both very nice to look at and handle loads adequately. Only you will know what is going to work best for you.

I have an Atlantis and I really like it. I feel like I could ride it forever-it is very comfortable and stable for long rides. I haven't toured with it but have gone grocery shopping and it handles heavy loads well. I've never ridden an Bruce Gordon so can't offer an opinion regarding it.

Okay... I feel the need to at least throw in a plug for my touring bike; a Co-Motion Americano. Seems lt is in the price range of the Atlantis but a little more expensive than the Bruce Gordon. Before I purchased my Co-Motion Americano... I looked at every touring bike I could find. The Rivendell would be the bike I'd purchase were it not for the Americano...

Joe West

Gun totin bicycle rider.