Rivendell Bikes: Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kaikane, Jul 19, 2005.

1. kaikane

kaikane New Member

thanks for the info.
    i checked out surly (their site's kinda' hard to figure out) and i couldn't tell how much a bike costs and couldn't get a pic of the LHT either.

2. B Rubble

B Rubble New Member

http://www.surlybikes.com/virtual_LHT.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly.html

Am not sure, but I believe the cost of the frame is about $420.
    Surly is part of QBP, so you can order it from any QBP dealer. Your local bike store may not know Surly or Rivendell, but they should know about QBP. You can get the Bleriot through there also.
    Here's a good link for searching:
    http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?PageID=49

For some wonderful reason, just about any bike questions you have can be answered on the Sheldon Brown (Harris Cyclery) webpage.

3. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I know Sheldon's page. What a classic bike guy!

4. ElGranadaRider

ElGranadaRider New Member

I'm a long-time Riv customer and can vouch for the company's products and service.
    Grant offers excellent advice which may only seem radical to some in light of current bike marketing hype. Yes, he has a point of view that's thankfully not main stream. "Retro" no. "Different" yes. There is a connection with traditional materials and durable construction.
    Riv provides beautifully designed bikes and gear for a broad range of riders, not particularly suited to racer wannabes, i.e. "The stretch Lycra set" or "Gram Freaks." Commuters, tourists and everyday recreational riders will find what they need at Riv.
    Some items sold by Riv may be available from mass marketers and often Grant will admit that, since he's not buying a train load of stuff at a time. The site also stocks many useful items unavailable elsewhere that Riv has had made for its customers.
    The Rivendell Reader is well worth becoming a member for its articles that often go way beyond gear-related matters and offer great humor as well as information.

5. Coryb79

Coryb79 New Member

Whil on vacation in Celina OH. my wife and I came across "The Country Bike Shop" where a very nice older gentleman assembles and sells Rivendell Bikes. Both my wife and I ride GT Mountain bikes, she had forgot her biking gloves and we were looking for a pair. Not knowing what they sold we ventured in, in our bike gear. We were there for an hour as we talked with this gentleman and he took us through each step of building a Rivendell. What an experiance neither one of us will never forget. The type of riding we currently do would not suit a Rivendell bike, but as we become "less a[SIZE= 11pt]dventurous [/SIZE]" with our riding style we both plan to purchase one. We are confident it will be the last bike purchase we need to make.

I would like to thank the man at The Country Bike Shop for an inspiring conversation and memories that will last a lifetime.

BTW. - Wife loves the power blue.

[​IMG]