Rivoli or Park Tool chain breaker?

On 14 Mar 2007 08:32:51 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I recently misplaced my cheesy chain breaker, and since I really
>didn't like it to begin with I'm not motivated to find it. I've used
>two different models of these cheap breakers in the past, and neither
>thrilled me. Research points me toward Rivoli and the more expensive
>Park Tool. Anyone care to steer me one way or the other?

I think that everyone should use reusable/removable chain links like
Sram Powerlink, Connex Link, and many others now. When you use those
links, you can use any chain tool because you only need it when the
chain is new and you push the link totally out.

From the old days, I have a big Park chain tool.

> I've never wanted for more than a Rivoli in a screw-type chain rivet
> tool, a good value at $10. My own is ancient and well worn.
>
> Oil the thread and pay attention (center pin on rivet).

does the pin/male threaded pin carrier/ handle
wobble
inside the female housing/handle on a ravioli?

as it does on the small handled Parks tool used here?
that is: i squid the chain cutting for a sram link, holding the
housing handle with one tentacle, the pin carrier handle with the
second tentacle, a flat blade from a leatherman prodding the tool's
pin to stay centered on the chain pin with the third tentacle, and
holding the chain down flat on the tool's meager chain table with
tentacles 6 and 7.

On Mar 14, 8:54 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 7:42 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've never wanted for more than a Rivoli in a screw-type chain rivet
> > > tool, a good value at $10. My own is ancient and well worn.

> > Ditto here. They just work, can't imagine it being any easier for a
> > home tool. Mind, I've never in my life used one on a narrow 9/10 speed
> > chain. The fleet here is comprised of single speeds, fixed gear, and a
> > SA hub. I use either bmx chains or 7 speed chains when they're on
> > sale.

> BMX and other SS type chains have rivets that are easier to push out,
> much like the pre-hyperglide 5/6/7 SP chains of the past.
>

> > Now, there is a Rivoli clone sold under various X-mart brands that
> > I've tried in a pinch--and it usually breaks the first couple times
> > you use it. I think the body is brittle cast aluminum or something
> > equally unsuitable.

> I've seen, but never tried those. What part breaks?

the little "shelf" where the chain rests. It's a disgusting little
tool. I've bought a couple on Sundays, when the LBS is closed and I
can't find my Rivoli in the garage. :p It makes the Silca schrader
head look like a creation of Thomas Alva Edison himself.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 02:52:34 GMT, Paul Kopit wrote:

> I think that everyone should use reusable/removable chain links like
> Sram Powerlink, Connex Link, and many others now. When you use those
> links, you can use any chain tool because you only need it when the
> chain is new and you push the link totally out.

Indeed. The crappiest of cheap chain tools does that perfectly well.

>>"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Ditto here. They just work, can't imagine it being any easier for a
>>> home tool. Mind, I've never in my life used one on a narrow 9/10 speed
>>> chain. The fleet here is comprised of single speeds, fixed gear, and a
>>> SA hub. I use either bmx chains or 7 speed chains when they're on
>>> sale.

>>"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> BMX and other SS type chains have rivets that are easier to push out,
>> much like the pre-hyperglide 5/6/7 SP chains of the past.

>"Ozark Bicycle"> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Now, there is a Rivoli clone sold under various X-mart brands that
>>> I've tried in a pinch--and it usually breaks the first couple times
>>> you use it. I think the body is brittle cast aluminum or something
>>> equally unsuitable.

>>"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've seen, but never tried those. What part breaks?

>"Ozark Bicycle"> <[email protected]> wrote:
> the little "shelf" where the chain rests. It's a disgusting little
> tool. I've bought a couple on Sundays, when the LBS is closed and I
> can't find my Rivoli in the garage. :p It makes the Silca schrader
> head look like a creation of Thomas Alva Edison himself.

Pressing a rivet out should be against the heavy end stop.

The smaller thinner flange is for freeing a stuck roller only and cannot
bear a huge pressure.

I like 'em but my employees mercilessly crack them. In frustratingly
high volumes.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mar 15, 1:06 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've seen, but never tried those. What part breaks?

> >"Ozark Bicycle"> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > the little "shelf" where the chain rests. It's a disgusting little
> > tool. I've bought a couple on Sundays, when the LBS is closed and I
> > can't find my Rivoli in the garage. :p It makes the Silca schrader
> > head look like a creation of Thomas Alva Edison himself.

> Pressing a rivet out should be against the heavy end stop.
>
> The smaller thinner flange is for freeing a stuck roller only and cannot
> bear a huge pressure.
>
> I like 'em but my employees mercilessly crack them. In frustratingly
> high volumes.

I was typing about the rivoli clone in cast aluminum that you find at
the X-marts. The stronger "stop", as I said before, often only lasts a
use or two before shearing off.

To free a sticky link after reassembly I just woogy woogy* it and the
lateral flexing gets it happy.

*obscure technical term.

On Mar 14, 9:17 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 8:54 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Ditto here. They just work, can't imagine it being any easier for a
> > > home tool. Mind, I've never in my life used one on a narrow 9/10 speed
> > > chain. The fleet here is comprised of single speeds, fixed gear, and a
> > > SA hub. I use either bmx chains or 7 speed chains when they're on
> > > sale.

> > BMX and other SS type chains have rivets that are easier to push out,
> > much like the pre-hyperglide 5/6/7 SP chains of the past.

> > > Now, there is a Rivoli clone sold under various X-mart brands that
> > > I've tried in a pinch--and it usually breaks the first couple times
> > > you use it. I think the body is brittle cast aluminum or something
> > > equally unsuitable.

> > I've seen, but never tried those. What part breaks?

> the little "shelf" where the chain rests. It's a disgusting little
> tool. I've bought a couple on Sundays, when the LBS is closed and I
> can't find my Rivoli in the garage. :p

"Shelf"? Do you mean the support in the middle of the tool?

> It makes the Silca schrader
> head look like a creation of Thomas Alva Edison himself.

High praise, indeed! :-o

Thanks to everyone for the input.

sort of master link. 90% of the chain failures I've experienced in my
life have been said link failing, and I've yet to have a chain fail me
on the road or trail since I stopped using them.

In the Park to Rivoli debate, the Parks main strength seems to be with
the new 8-10 speed chains. My fleet consists if singlespeed, BMX, and
7 speed mountain bikes. I don't see myself with 8 or more cogs
anytime soon, even on the next road bike. That said, will there be
any notable difference for me between the Rivoli & the Park? I'm not
worried about carrying on the trail, as I still have the small cheap
red thing that came with my last chain. I did have a Rivoli years ago
when all I'd touch was BMX, and it did the job fine. If there is some
substantial benefit to the Park in a fleet where 7 cog is the max I'll
shell out the extra dough.

Landotter, you should consider exercising caution discussing the woogy
in such a public forum.

TIA,

Dan

wrote:

>I recently misplaced my cheesy chain breaker, and since I really
>didn't like it to begin with I'm not motivated to find it. I've used
>two different models of these cheap breakers in the past, and neither
>thrilled me. Research points me toward Rivoli and the more expensive
>Park Tool. Anyone care to steer me one way or the other?

Didn't we just have this thread a couple of weeks ago?

While I sometimes think Park Tools is an oxymoron, I must say I prefer
my Park chain tool to my Cyclo Rivoli. As I said in the previous
thread the pin in the Rivoli tends to mushroom over and I've also had
the pins fall out of the screw.

Thing I like most about the Park (I just fitted a new chain yesterday)
is that the screw bottoms out before the pin is pushed out of the
sideplate.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

WHAT I LIKE MOST ABOUT MY PARK CHAIN TOOL CONTEST:

win a free trip

"i like my park chain tool because it sharpens my wits than i don't
cut myself shaving."

On Mar 15, 8:02 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 9:17 pm, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've seen, but never tried those. What part breaks?

> > the little "shelf" where the chain rests. It's a disgusting little
> > tool. I've bought a couple on Sundays, when the LBS is closed and I
> > can't find my Rivoli in the garage. :p

> "Shelf"? Do you mean the support in the middle of the tool?

Ja, I believe I had to use it with an 8 speed chain as it wouldn't fit
on the strong bits. Come to think of it, the tool isn't designed for
such chains, so operator indignation has a lot to do with it.

I found an X-mart tool I picked up a while back that actually works
great for single speed and medium width derailleur chains. Here's a
pic of the happy couple:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/422144752_fa1c478a0b_o.jpg

The Rivoli has far more leverage, but for the chain pictured, both
work without any drama.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I just recieved a CT-3 as a gift,
and I'm happy as a clam. It looks like a great tool, I can't wait to
get home and use it.

On Mar 16, 10:38 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the input. I just recieved a CT-3 as a gift,
> and I'm happy as a clam. It looks like a great tool, I can't wait to
> get home and use it.

Congrats Dan, enjoy the CT-3, it's a joy everytime I use it.

For all those using a mini chain breaker like the CT-5 as I did for
many years, if you use the chain tool more than twice a year (at home,
not on the road for emergency), I would strongly recommend spending
the 30$ for a lifetime of pleasure. I myself should have bought it 5
years ago...

First, stay away from the minis! They were great 20 or so years ago
before rivets were as tight as they are now. I quit using my Rivoli
once I bent the handle on a Shimano chain.

My personal preference is for the Topeaks. One is a specific chain tool
where the handle is a hex wrench. That makes it compact should you want
to carry it with you. A similar chain tool is built into a folding
multi-tool I carry with me.

NOTE - I've never tried to drive the rivets of a 10-spd Campy chain.
Peter could probably tell me how it can be safely done once the time
arrives.