"RMan"

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hippy, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    Were you at Glenvale today? I remembered your rainvest..

    Carried it in my backpack the 20k to the race. Afterwards, the boys decided to do Beach Rd. and the
    city before heading home. Add another 80k's... Tired/Sore/Sunburnt (again) now.. ;-)

    Will you be there next week? I looked for you, but my brain was still switched onto "jelly" mode and
    B grade was already powering around, so I might have missed you due to the race.

    RR: C grade pace was just too high and I spent most of the race struggling to hang on. Tried setting
    up for the sprint but it took so much effort to get up towards the front that I had nothing left.
    Rolled across the line, mildly annoyed, somewhere between 10th and 20th.

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Were you at Glenvale today? I remembered your rainvest..

    Ahh, Hippy, thanks mate, but I've got a cold and didn't race. I will be there next Sunday, baring
    any more illness.

    > RR: C grade pace was just too high and I spent most of the race struggling to hang on. Tried
    > setting up for the sprint but it took so much effort to get up towards the front that I had
    > nothing left. Rolled across the line, mildly annoyed, somewhere between 10th and 20th.

    Well, you hung on.

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ahh, Hippy, thanks mate, but I've got a cold and didn't race. I will be there next Sunday, baring
    > any more illness.

    Cool. It's in the diary - I'll do my best to remember it ;-)

    > > up towards the front that I had nothing left. Rolled across the line, mildly annoyed, somewhere
    > > between 10th and 20th.
    >
    > Well, you hung on.

    Yeah, but I was hoping for a better finish than last week's 6th-ish. This week there were a couple
    of strong breakaways, so the bunch pace was higher trying to reel them in. I just didn't have the
    legs or skill to work my way up to a good spot in time for the sprint. Next week... ;-)

    Track tonight.. don't know if my legs will actually be working by then...

    hippy

  4. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Twenty questions about Glenvale Crescent.

    What's the entry fee?

    Are there a lot of Blackburn riders there? Looking at the
    Carnegie / Caulfield site race results there hardly seems to be any!!

    What's this ride that happens afterwards? What's the pace like?Are there riders who go out and then back to their cars at Glenvale Cres?

    Cheers

  5. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Twenty questions about Glenvale Crescent.
    >
    > What's the entry fee?

    $10 for the race. If you don't have a license, you will need a day lic. for ~$22 on top of the $10.

    > Are there a lot of Blackburn riders there? Looking at the Carnegie / Caulfield site race results
    > there hardly seems to be any!!

    Not as many as there are CC riders. They are a bigger club I believe, so would probably have more
    chance of appearing in the placings. I'd like to change that :)

    > What's this ride that happens afterwards? What's the pace like?Are
    there
    > riders who go out and then back to their cars at Glenvale Cres?

    The ride that happened afterwards was in impromptu ride because a couple of the lads from Croydon
    wanted to do some extra training. I'm sure there are other rides that some people organise on the
    day or maybe even regular ones? The pace was easy then hard, then easy, then hard :) Are you asking
    if riders drive to the race, race and then drive home? If so, then the answer is yes. I wouldn't
    park on/near the circuit though, otherwise you wont be able to get out when the later grades race.

    hippy

  6. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

    Yeah, I'll be driving there from Lower Templestowe.

    On the Carnegie/Caulfield website, http://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/rides.html , it says that many riders ride down to Beach Rd after the race. I was just wondering if many (if any) come back to Glenvale Crescent as I don't want to ride back to my car on my own.

    I generally like to do a 130 - 150 km ride on Saturday mornings. If this ride after the race is a regular thing, then I can replace the Saturday morning ride with this one.

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the info.

    If I know it, I'll show it.. ;-)

    > Yeah, I'll be driving there from Lower Templestowe.

    How far is that? We ride 20k there for a nice warmup...

    > On the Carnegie/Caulfield website, http://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/rides.html , it says
    > that many
    riders
    > ride down to Beach Rd after the race. I was just wondering if many (if any) come back to Glenvale
    > Crescent as I don't want to ride back to my car on my own.

    Ahh okay.. I didn't know about that. I never considered doing ANY riding after a race except if it
    gets me home! :) Not sure if our Beach Rd. sojourn will become regular or not. Ask around and
    you'll possibly find people doing what you want to do. We don't head back to Glenvale, we head up
    Whitehorse Rd. after the city.

    > I generally like to do a 130 - 150 km ride on Saturday mornings. If
    this
    > ride after the race is a regular thing, then I can replace the
    Saturday
    > morning ride with this one.

    That's true, unless you want an easier long ride? I was pretty sore/tired by the end of our loop.
    Guess it depends if you've got other things to do on Sat's and how inclined you feel towards a long
    ride post-race?

    hippy

  8. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Not to mention the fact that they shorten races when there are CCCC members in a break. (ie. Last week C grade got cut down by 5 minutes) and lengthen the race for "safety reasons" if there's a break with no CCCC riders in it.

  9. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Actually, it's about 20 odd km as well. Only thing is I don't like the idea of becoming another road statistic by riding up Springvale Rd to get there. Coming home would be even worse!

    On Sundays, I'm normally still a bit sore from doing my 140 km odd Saturday morning ride.

    I might do a shorter ride this Saturday morning and then race on Sunday at Glenvale.

    Might see you there?

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to mention the fact that they shorten races when there are CCCC members in a break. (ie. Last
    > week C grade got cut down by 5 minutes) and lengthen the race for "safety reasons" if there's a
    > break with no CCCC riders in it.

    Were you racing then? I wondered what the hell was going on... I saw the 3 laps sign up and probably
    looked at my speedo and thought "that's way too early!". Just after crossing the line, I stopped my
    speedo and the time showed 48mins! That was 2mins less than the 50mins+3laps stated at the start and
    we'd DONE the 3 laps already! Gee, I wonder if I could've made up a few spots and scored a place
    with the extra time??? ;-)

    I'll be paying more attention to race times from now I think...

    hippy

  11. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Actually, it's about 20 odd km as well. Only thing is I don't like the idea of becoming another
    > road statistic by riding up Springvale Rd to get there. Coming home would be even worse!

    Oh, I'll not mention the fact that that's the road we ride along getting there and leaving towards
    Edithvale.

    > On Sundays, I'm normally still a bit sore from doing my 140 km odd Saturday morning ride.

    I would be too :)

    > I might do a shorter ride this Saturday morning and then race on
    Sunday
    > at Glenvale.

    Good idea!

    > Might see you there?

    Probably. I'm usually in Croydon Cycleworks gear with a couple of other dudes/dudettes.

    hippy

  12. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Cool. I'll be the one with the retro Cecil Walker, '93 Carrera jersey and blue nicks (at least they're relatively new). :)

  13. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4m9%[email protected]...
    > Cool. I'll be the one with the retro Cecil Walker, '93 Carrera jersey and blue nicks (at least
    > they're relatively new). :)

    Which grade are you racing? I have the most honed ability to totally forget someone I've just met
    and to not recognise people when they change clothes, helmet, bike, glasses, watch, deodorant,
    religion.. ;-)

    hippy

  14. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I pretty sure I'll remember you when I see you. I still remember your real name too from when we did the 1/20 about 6 weeks ago!

    I'm not sure what grade to race. I raced D grade (that's all there was) at METEC two weeks ago. There were only 5 of us and I came second. The guy who won was 50 m ahead of me and the guy who came third was 50 m behind me.

    Maybe I should try C grade?

  15. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hippy wrote:
    > > "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OBS_b.1- [email protected]:[email protected]
    > > rver.com... Not as many as there are CC riders. They are a bigger club I believe, so would
    > > probably have more chance of appearing in the placings. I'd like to change that :)
    >

    > Not to mention the fact that they shorten races when there are CCCC members in a break. (ie. Last
    > week C grade got cut down by 5 minutes) and lengthen the race for "safety reasons" if there's a
    > break with no CCCC riders in it.

    That is pure bullshit.

  16. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:r6b%[email protected]...
    > I pretty sure I'll remember you when I see you. I still remember your real name too from when we
    > did the 1/20 about 6 weeks ago!

    and I yours.. yell out that or "hippy!" and you'll get my attention. "Oi! Dick Head" will generally
    work too ;-)

    > I'm not sure what grade to race. I raced D grade (that's all there
    was)
    > at METEC two weeks ago. There were only 5 of us and I came second. The guy who won was 50 m ahead
    > of me and the guy who came third was 50 m behind me.
    >
    > Maybe I should try C grade?

    Nup. Glenvale D grade will be much faster than METEC D grade, simply because there will be four
    times as many people there to push up the pace, try breakaways, sprint, etc. Once you get a few
    places in D grade at Glenvale, then think about moving up. If you race this week and kill the field
    though, you can probably move up straight away. Just don't discount the 'non-physical' learning that
    takes place in lower grades. E.g. Good to learn tactics and bike handling and placement in slower
    bunches rather than when you are just hanging on. It also sucks to be spat out the back before 1 lap
    has even finished! (me, C grade, Necropolis - twas after a crash two days prior though, spent ages
    off the bike after that).

    hippy

  17. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Not to mention the fact that they shorten races when there are CCCC members in a break. (ie.
    > > Last week C grade got cut down by 5
    minutes)
    > > and lengthen the race for "safety reasons" if there's a break with
    no
    > > CCCC riders in it.
    >
    > That is pure bullshit.

    That they shorten races or the fact that they do it to advantage their own riders? Because they DID
    shorten the race.

    hippy

  18. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Yep, I was there, waiting for the bunch sprint. The bunch had it all under control, except for the fact that the race got shortened by 5 minutes. There's no way they would have hung off if the race had been legit.

    (Could be worse, I know of BBN riders who've stayed in a break until the 1:15 mark of a 1 hour crit until the bunch caught them).

  19. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FMh%b.10323
    > Yep, I was there, waiting for the bunch sprint. The bunch had it all under control, except for the
    > fact that the race got shortened by 5 minutes. There's no way they would have hung off if the race
    > had been legit.
    >
    > (Could be worse, I know of BBN riders who've stayed in a break until the
    > 1:15 mark of a 1 hour crit until the bunch caught them).

    Ahh don't tell me that.. I thought these club races were played fair?! Does this mean I should start
    entering as a Carnegie rider just in case I end up leading a break?

    hippy

  20. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<eQb%[email protected]>...
    > "rickster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > Not to mention the fact that they shorten races when there are CCCC members in a break. (ie.
    > > > Last week C grade got cut down by 5
    > minutes)
    > > > and lengthen the race for "safety reasons" if there's a break with
    > no
    > > > CCCC riders in it.
    > >
    > > That is pure bullshit.
    >
    > That they shorten races or the fact that they do it to advantage their own riders? Because they
    > DID shorten the race.

    That they did it to advantage their own riders of course.