road bars on MTB?

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
any sense in not putting road bars on MTB meant for off road and on road type touring? will they break?

i ask because the WTB ones are kinda pricey.

Originally Posted by Strelok .

any sense in not putting road bars on MTB meant for off road and on road type touring? will they break?

All road bike bars are frail. That's why they instantly fail on all touring bikes and cross bikes. Heck, I'll bet I see at least 50 road riders crash a day when their bikes hit pot holes, and their handlebars literally explode. Oh, wait. That's not the truth. If you want a road bar and your shifters and brakes are able to work with a road bar, go for it. Hell, I've seen at least one pro MTB rider's bike that had drop bars.

Originally Posted by Strelok .

Hi Strelok, also you can use 700 wheels (with disc hubs and normal 23 or 25mm road tyres) on a 26" MTB frame, for a really nice road/light off road touring bike (especially if its a CF MTB frame) :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

... you can use 700 wheels (with disc hubs and normal 23 or 25mm road tyres) on a 26" MTB frame, for a really nice road/light off road touring bike (especially if its a CF MTB frame) :)
FWIW. Here's a pic of one of my older Hardtail frames which I converted to use as a Road bike. Almost all of the components have been changed since the picture was taken ...

I needed to use a BB whose spindle (e.g., 118mm Octalink) is normally used on a Triple Road crank to ensure that a 52t-or-53t chainring would clear the chainstay ...

A LONG reach (49-59) caliper works with 700c rims after enlarging the forward side of the fender mounting hole ...

I laced a 700c rim onto a 135mm OD hub ...

I believe that the Alpha Q fork ([COLOR= #808080]pictured[/COLOR]) is one of the few CF forks which can handle a 28mm tire, but it is the ONE tire size which I don't have to use for a test fit ...

• if I wanted to fit fenders on the bike, then I would change the fork to a steel fork (because it's what I have) which I know would have adequate clearance ...

As pictured, the bike weighed just under 20 lbs. Add 3-or-4 lbs. for a steel fork + granny chainring + longer cage rear derailleur + fatter tires + fenders ... et cetera.

Hi, i am new biker,I want to buy one set vintage Kas cycling jersey and shorts,
who can tell me where i can get ? because there are many online shop .
if you have any experience, pls tell me .thanks

Originally Posted by alfeng .

FWIW. Here's a pic of one of my older Hardtail frames which I converted to use as a Road bike. Almost all of the components have been changed since the picture was taken ...

As pictured, the bike weighed just under 20 lbs. Add 3-or-4 lbs. for a steel fork + granny chainring + longer cage rear derailleur + fatter tires + fenders ... et cetera.
Hi alfeng, very nice :)

I can see road bars on a rigid MTB making a good heavy duty touring or hauler. I considered it on my Trek 700 but opted for a flat bar as I already had the shifters, brake levers and grips.

Originally Posted by Myosmith .

I'll take the Spam on rye
Don't count on any of the mods actually doing something. Certainly, Steve, the site boss, won't do a damned thing.