road bicycle sizing - for a female

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Yuri Budilov, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    Hello everyone

    What size *road/racing* bicycle frame do I need for 168 cm (5 foot 6 inches
    ... 5 foot 6.5 inches) female? Inseam 81 cm i.e. almost 32 inches. The old
    equation of taking rider inseam 81 * 0.883 = 71.5 cm effective top tube.
    Does it apply to females also?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Yuri wrote:

    > What size *road/racing* bicycle frame do I > need for 168 cm (5

    foot 6 inches
    > .. 5 foot 6.5 inches) female? Inseam 81 cm i.e. > almost 32 inches.

    You should really choose a frame based on top tube length. Seat tube
    length is a secondary issue. Check the "stand over" height measurement
    of the frame. Stand over height should be at least a cm (or preferably
    2cm) less than your inseam (measured wearing cycling shoes).

    > The old
    > equation of taking rider inseam 81 * 0.883 =
    > 71.5 cm effective top tube.
    > Does it apply to females also?

    I think you have the "0.883" formula wrong. The Lemond formula: inseam
    x 0.883 should be the distance from the center of the BB to the top of
    the saddle. That's a good starting point, but you may have to adjust it
    slightly to get a proper seat height. See:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

    Art Harris

  3. Yuri Budilov

    Yuri Budilov Guest

    Thank you Art

    > I think you have the "0.883" formula wrong. The Lemond formula: inseam
    > x 0.883 should be the distance from the center of the BB to the top of
    > the saddle. That's a good starting point, but you may have to adjust it
    > slightly to get a proper seat height. See:
    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

    Yes, I got it wrong, sorry, I meant the other formula Inseam * 0.65 for top
    tube i.e. 81 cm * 0.65 = 52.65 cm i.e. 52-53 cm frame size. The inseam *
    0.883 was indeed for saddle height.

    So is Inseam * 0.65 a good formula for female road bikes also?

    AFAIK female legs are proportionately longer than torso when compared to
    male anatomy so perhaps I need to get my wife a frame that is one size
    smaller i.e 51 cm frame?

    thanks