Road Bike $2000-$3000

Dave80

May 5, 2006
Hi all,

Started riding again two years ago and am loving it. I finish uni mid next year and want to buy myself a new bike when I finish (gotta have something to look forward to). I’m currently riding a cheap flatbar (Shogun Mach 1) and am desperate for a proper road bike for the geometry/ handling/weight etc etc. So the challenge is to find the best bike I can afford given:

• budget - $2000-$3000(absolute max)
  • performance over 'bling' and no brand preference
  • I'm 6'4" and 93kg so it will need to come in larger sizes and be able to withstand some weight
  • current rides are 40-80km 3 times a week with a goal to keep building distance (and speed) so that I can do 150km+ rides comfortably
So far I'm thinking that an alu. frame/carbon fork combo will give me the best combo of frame/component/ride quality for my price range.

From looking at the net the top contenders for a closer look are (realising that things will change):

Avanti Corsa – 2006 (seen for $2700), Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Azzurri Primo – 2006 (seen $2,400), Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Cannondale R600 (seen for $2500) mainly 105, Gipiemme T3 Wheels, Alu Frame

Felt F55 – 2007 (seen for $2,900) mainly DA, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu Frame - Carbon Fork.

Felt F65 – 2006 (seen for $2,200) Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame - Carbon Fork

Giant TCR 1 – 2006 (seen for $2,300) Ultegra, Shimano, R550, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Giant TCR Alliance 1 – 2007 (seen $2500) Ultegra, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu/Carbon Frame – Carbon forks

Gitane Mach 2200 (seen $1,900) Ultegra components, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon Forks

Specialized Allez Elite - 2006 (seen $2400) 105, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Trek 1500 (seen $2,800) Ultegra, Bontrager Select Wheels, Carbon Fork

Any comments, reviews or recommendations would be really appreciated?

This is probably the best time of year to be looking - the 2006 models are on special at quite a few places but they may be running out soon. If the middle of next year is your goal, then wait until the specials on 2007 models start to appear and then snap one up. Here are some examples at shops in Melbourne (where are you located?) and you can find cheaper too if you are lucky:
http://www.lygoncycles.com.au/specials.html
http://www.lawrenciacycles.com.au/6.html

At this price point you have quite a few decisions to make. I went for a full carbon frame, but the alu/carbon ones are slightly less expensive, leaving you more $$$ to spend on other things such as a better groupset (eg full Ultegra instead of 105). Some carbon options at this price range include the Giant OCR or TCR composites, Scott CR1 team (have seen it on special for $2850) and the Felt F4C and F5C.

The R550 (or other pre-built Shimano wheels) don't get a lot of praise around here BUT they are on most bikes in this price range and at least they should be better than the R500.

Probably the most important thing is how the bike fits, regardless of price or materials. Frame geometry can vary quite a bit too, with different handling / feeling. If you are not racing, you may find the Cannondale Synapse or the Giant OCR more comfortable than their racing equivalents (R600, TCR).

FYI - I just chose a 2006 Giant OCR Composite (full carbon, Ultegra, R550 wheels) and got it for $800 off RRP.

I was at the same place a few months ago and I went with the TCR1. I traded in the Shimano wheels for some handbuilt Mavic Open Pros because I'm a fat *******, and i couldn't be happier :)

DamianM said:
I was at the same place a few months ago and I went with the TCR1. I traded in the Shimano wheels for some handbuilt Mavic Open Pros because I'm a fat *******, and i couldn't be happier :)
Great idea trading in the wheels on purchase - thanks. I have to say the idea hadn't entered my mind. Is this something most bike shops will do?

Roshea - thanks for your input. Couldn't agree more about fit, its one of the reasons I've started looking early with such a big list. After I've soaked up some feedback I'm going to get out to the shops and sit on some bikes - can't wait.

DamianM said:
Hey - I'm a fat ******* too with Shimano 550 wheels. What did the Mavics cost?

I think most shops will do a wheelset trade. Some will give you the full retail value back on your Shimanos, others won't because they have lots of crappy Shimano wheels sitting around that they can't move ;)

I don't recall the breakdown, but I think it was in the region of $600 for the Mavics, and I got $200 back on them.

The Mavics are great, I have a history of breaking spokes on the wheels on my old hybrid, but I haven't had a problem with these wheels.

I also picked up a 06 OCR comp a few months back. Traded the R550 for some Kysrium Elites. $2400 all up (no saddle or pedals) which was reasonable given the Elites are $900 RRP.

I would go for the Felt F65 ar the F55 and swap the wheels with handbuilt wheels. Ultegra hubs, DT spokes and any of Mavic Open pros, Velocity Aeroheads or Rigida DPX.

i would be happy.

FREDBLACK said:
I would go for the Felt F65 ar the F55 and swap the wheels with handbuilt wheels. Ultegra hubs, DT spokes and any of Mavic Open pros, Velocity Aeroheads or Rigida DPX. i would be happy.
Thanks for your comments. I do like the look of the Felts.

They seem to have very good components per $ compared to their rivals. I heard someone say that this is due to them shifting their production to China, which caused a sharp decline in build quality. Do people think this criticism is warranted?

On the weekend I went to a bike shop which had an F25 and a Cannondale R800 and the welds on the Felt looked horrible compared to the R800's - a superficial assessment perhaps but an indicator of overall frame quality???

At this stage they are still on the list (and close to the top) but I would love to hear what more experienced riders think about them.

I'm already a fan of DT spokes, after breaking 3 **** no name spokes in 2 months the LBS replaced all the spokes with DT's using the same rim and hubs etc. To date they have worked like a dream and given me a lot more confidence in the wheels - a very cost effective solution to a bloody annoying problem.

I'm wondering if you could bargain down an LBS on a Cervelo soloist. The local LBS has one ($3.3K IIRC) and it's one swoit looking ride. I don't know much about road bikes but if aesthetics is anything to go by (and Team CSC success) then you might want to consider one. :D

cwebs said:
I'm wondering if you could bargain down an LBS on a Cervelo soloist. The local LBS has one ($3.3K IIRC) and it's one swoit looking ride. I don't know much about road bikes but if aesthetics is anything to go by (and Team CSC success) then you might want to consider one. :D
Nice bike! If i could find one in the sales sub $3000 I would be very interested in having a closer look. Found it at:
http://www.croydoncycleworks.com/sh...d=260&osCsid=369d21d4a890f2d541b1ce966cde78e6

It's tempting to borrow money and go one step better but it never ends. I think $2000-$3000 will ensure I get something that is significantly better than the current ride and will last for quite awhile.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Don't forget to leave some room in your budget for shoes, pedals, computer etc. They can add up pretty quickly.

Worth a look is the Cell Victor, as reviewed in the latest bicycling australia. They found it to be very stiff and sturdy, the 60cm would fit you well.

$2300 with full ultegra groupset r-550 wheels.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=210

Dave80 said:
Hi all,

Started riding again two years ago and am loving it. I finish uni mid next year and want to buy myself a new bike when I finish (gotta have something to look forward to). I’m currently riding a cheap flatbar (Shogun Mach 1) and am desperate for a proper road bike for the geometry/ handling/weight etc etc. So the challenge is to find the best bike I can afford given:

• budget - $2000-$3000(absolute max)
  • performance over 'bling' and no brand preference
  • I'm 6'4" and 93kg so it will need to come in larger sizes and be able to withstand some weight
  • current rides are 40-80km 3 times a week with a goal to keep building distance (and speed) so that I can do 150km+ rides comfortably
So far I'm thinking that an alu. frame/carbon fork combo will give me the best combo of frame/component/ride quality for my price range.

From looking at the net the top contenders for a closer look are (realising that things will change):

Avanti Corsa – 2006 (seen for $2700), Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Azzurri Primo – 2006 (seen $2,400), Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Cannondale R600 (seen for $2500) mainly 105, Gipiemme T3 Wheels, Alu Frame

Felt F55 – 2007 (seen for $2,900) mainly DA, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu Frame - Carbon Fork.

Felt F65 – 2006 (seen for $2,200) Ultegra, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame - Carbon Fork

Giant TCR 1 – 2006 (seen for $2,300) Ultegra, Shimano, R550, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Giant TCR Alliance 1 – 2007 (seen $2500) Ultegra, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu/Carbon Frame – Carbon forks

Gitane Mach 2200 (seen $1,900) Ultegra components, Shimano R550 Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon Forks

Specialized Allez Elite - 2006 (seen $2400) 105, Mavic Aksium Wheels, Alu Frame – Carbon forks

Trek 1500 (seen $2,800) Ultegra, Bontrager Select Wheels, Carbon Fork

Any comments, reviews or recommendations would be really appreciated?

Yes I work there. - I usually acknowledge this but forgot to in this instance, sorry.

Well i've been doing the rounds of the LBS...

Damn you cwebs! I had a look at Cervelo Team Soloist today and it is one sweet looking bike. Frame looks really nice and from the reading I've done they are very well regarded. The shop I visited indicated they could do a fairly competitive deal on some shoes and pedals also...(still above my budget but who needs to eat)

I had a look at a Pinarello Angliru (@ $2600). It seemed to me like a disproportionate amount of the budget would be going on the frame and Italian brand name but i've added it to the list for further consideration.

Trek 1500 looked good as a mid range option that ticks all the minimum spec requirements.

This weekend I’m going to have a look at the Avanti Corsa and San Remo Pro, Specialized Allez Elite and Gitane Mach 2200.

Hopefully will be able to shortlist 3 or so bikes for further consideration soon. Its been very interesting to go to so many (7 so far) LBS in a short amount of time. I've learnt heaps and of course heard a reasonable amount of BS. Is making the customer feel stupid a common sales tactic?

Dave80 said:
Well i've been doing the rounds of the LBS...

Damn you cwebs! I had a look at Cervelo Team Soloist today and it is one sweet looking bike. Frame looks really nice and from the reading I've done they are very well regarded. The shop I visited indicated they could do a fairly competitive deal on some shoes and pedals also.
The LBS in Darwin who stocks the Cervelo is selling it for $3245... so I'm thinking an LBS in a big metro would be able to cut you a good deal on it.... perhaps even under your max budget.

Keep us updated. :)

Now have my eyes on some Scott bikes (s10 & s20), found a bike shop that I really like (its got to be one of the most important elements - who wants to buy a bike from a rude, arrogant ahole?), and I really like the value and look.

I'm now looking at the options for swapping out the wheels (R550) as was very helpful suggested by others in this thread (thanks guys). I've asked the ? in the equipment folder (seemed like a better place to put it) so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them (the wheels suggested so far in this thread are a bit over the price range). Budget is around $700 (max) (for a max swap over cost around $400).

Options so far:
Velocity Deep V $320
Mavic Aksium $350
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe $650

I'm sure i've buggered up 'forum' conventions by posting in both threads - who knows?

Cheers

Dave80 said:
Options so far:
Velocity Deep V $320
Mavic Aksium $350
Mavic Ksyrium Equipe $650

Me personally I would get something built up at the shop. The base option is always open pro rims + ultegra hubs + DT spokes. Strong and not a whole heap of dollars. Then you can go up from there. Sit down with them and see what they think and do some reading/searching.

Are the Aksiums a quantum enough leap over the stock 550's to warrant its inclusion in a wheel upgrade? Not worth the expenditure if it's 'like for like'.