Road bike advice? Coppi or Claud Butler?

superyachtcrew

New Member
Jul 14, 2003
Hi guys first post on here looks like you have it all covered!

Basically I am looking for a good road bike, To take to Menorca with me whenI move out there. I am heavy at about 17 stone so it needs to be well built I think.

Bear in mind I dont know a lot about road bikes, I have had all the usual bikes people have Moutain bikes and the old peugeot racer as you do when your a kid but I want a fast bike.

Any one got any advise on the following.

Fausto Coppi

The blue one in the adverts its about £360? I think you know the one I mean?

Claud Butler "Milano"

Looks very good but is it just more looks than go as seems very reasonably priced?

Or the Scott AFD Expert?

Blue one around £500?

Anyone got any idea if any of these is vastly better than the other? of if any should be avoided at all costs?

Any help much appreciated.

"superyachtcrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Fausto Coppi
>
> The blue one in the adverts its about £360? I think you know the one I mean?
>
> Claud Butler "Milano"
>
> Looks very good but is it just more looks than go as seems very reasonably priced?
>
> Or the Scott AFD Expert?

We need more details of the Claud Butler and Fausto but the Scott looks a seriously nice bike and
would tempt me. See it here: http://www.evanscycles.com/frameset.html

Pete

superyachtcrew wrote:

> Any one got any advise on the following.
>
> Fausto Coppi

My flatmate has one (though hers is red). Looks okay to me, but the problem with it is she's not
that great at getting up hills and it has a twin rather than triple chain ring allied to typically
close range road gears at the back. Now a twin is all very well if you've had the practice for hills
or don't have many, but she hasn't really and we've lots, so it's a bit of a Catch 22 which keeps
her off the bike. I think she'd get far more use out of a bike with a triple, but as it is I
actually ride my unicycle further in a typical week than she gets on her racer, and I'm no great
shakes as a unicyclist.

Not a specific fault of this particular bike, of course, just be aware that a triple is probably
worth considering if you're new to the game as retrofitting it will cost more than laying down the
extra money in the first instance.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I think there are lots of hills in Menorca. A triple would be very helpful..I am very grateful
for the granny cog on my Scott Expert, which would be my reccomendation. However any aluminium
bike with a Sora triple should be fine - just make sure the bike fits properly and get some SPD
pedals and shoes

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> superyachtcrew wrote:
>
> > Any one got any advise on the following.
> >
> > Fausto Coppi
>
> My flatmate has one (though hers is red). Looks okay to me, but the problem with it is she's not
> that great at getting up hills and it has a twin rather than triple chain ring allied to typically
> close range road gears at the back. Now a twin is all very well if you've had the practice for
> hills or don't have many, but she hasn't really and we've lots, so it's a bit of a Catch 22 which
> keeps her off the bike. I think she'd get far more use out of a bike with a triple, but as it is I
> actually ride my unicycle further in a typical week than she gets on her racer, and I'm no great
> shakes as a unicyclist.
>
> Not a specific fault of this particular bike, of course, just be aware that a triple is probably
> worth considering if you're new to the game as retrofitting it will cost more than laying down the
> extra money in the first instance.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Originally posted by superyachtcrew
[...]

In message <[email protected]>, Kevin Stephens
<[email protected]> writes
>However any aluminium bike with a Sora triple should be fine - just make sure the bike fits
>properly and get some SPD pedals and shoes

Why SPD? Why not Look? Anyway, SPD/Look pedals and shoes aren't essential.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Kevin Stephens
> <[email protected]> writes
> >However any aluminium bike with a Sora triple should be fine - just make sure the bike fits
> >properly and get some SPD pedals and shoes
>
> Why SPD? Why not Look? Anyway, SPD/Look pedals and shoes aren't essential.

Well, why not Time, Speedplay etc? Mainly because for a more casual rider you can walk normally with
spds and they are also available as double sided, making entry a whole lot easier.

And whilst not essential they add to cycling efficiency and at the end of the day you usually
require footwear so why not use the better ones for the job. Likewise pedals. SPDs are not
particularly expensive at the bottom of the range and are quite robust.

Pete