ROAD BIKE ADVICE

Chrisbnj

Apr 21, 2010
I am fifteen years old and live in a moderately hilly area of new jersey. I'm looking for a road bike that will last me a long time and will help me begin my cycling career. i am 5 feet 10 inches tall (177.80 cm). nothing too expensive ($650 max) i will be training and using this bike alot not just riding casually. so durability is a must

In that price range you are looking at an aluminum or steel frame and maybe used. As always I advise going to a shop and getting fitted. If you can't find what you want at least you know the right size and can do some shopping on line, maybe E-Bay. As far as durability stay away from the department store bikes for that and a mulitude of other reasons.
There are a lot of good frame makers out there and to say that one is better than the other is difficult.

Chrisbnj said:
I am fifteen years old and live in a moderately hilly area of new jersey. I'm looking for a road bike that will last me a long time and will help me begin my cycling career. i am 5 feet 10 inches tall (177.80 cm). nothing too expensive ($650 max) i will be training and using this bike alot not just riding casually. so durability is a must
You will probably grow between 2" & 6" (maybe, more!) in the next two-or-three years ... so, if you want to still be riding the same bike when you are in college (and, after) then you may want to buy a frame whose top tube is about 2cm longer than what you think you would buy if you were 25 years old.

You need to look at how tall your parents & older siblings are (whichever may be applicable) to guess how tall you will be when you are 20+.

FWIW. I recommend you locate a used bike (8-speed Shimano) in good-to-very-good condition ... it will be easiest to upgrade an 8-speed Shimano drivetrain with Campagnolo shifters!

My thinking is that if your still growing then why spend $650 now when you'll have to spend another $700 (inflation) in two years? Sure you could buy a bigger bike but if the fit isn't right then your going to uncomfortable until you grow into it, and then because your uncomfortable you won't ride it so now you have a $650 piece of garage art. So why not save that money and buy a lower costing $350 range bike? Or are you willing to shell out $650 now then later in two years shell out another $650? Also at your age, you may become completely uninterested in cycling in 1 to 2 years due to getting older, thus wanting a car so you can take a girl out...most girls don't really dig guys on bikes!! They want a guy with a car. I went through that same thing, in 1976 (I was 19) I bought a $2200 Trek TX900 and had it for a year, but the girls just didn't understand why I had a $2200 bike and a $800 car, so I sold the bike and the car and bought a nicer car.

Anyway just one morons thought.

Froze said:
My thinking is that if your still growing then why spend $650 now when you'll have to spend another $700 (inflation) in two years? Sure you could buy a bigger bike but if the fit isn't right then your going to uncomfortable until you grow into it, and then because your uncomfortable you won't ride it so now you have a $650 piece of garage art. So why not save that money and buy a lower costing $350 range bike? Or are you willing to shell out $650 now then later in two years shell out another $650? Also at your age, you may become completely uninterested in cycling in 1 to 2 years due to getting older, thus wanting a car so you can take a girl out...most girls don't really dig guys on bikes!! They want a guy with a car. I went through that same thing, in 1976 (I was 19) I bought a $2200 Trek TX900 and had it for a year, but the girls just didn't understand why I had a $2200 bike and a $800 car, so I sold the bike and the car and bought a nicer car.

Anyway just one morons thought.

Well said Froze! I started riding less and less when i started driving more and more. I hindsight, I wish i had kept on riding....but oh well. Such is life.

I had a 500$ bike when i was 16 and a 500$ car. Now that I think about it....I used to ride my road bike (in full gear mind you), to girls houses back then a hell of a lot. By choice! Stayed in those times.....haha.....

I agree with getting something used in the 300$-400$ range for the time being. Test out the waters. If you're still into it after a year or so...see what you can spend then. Plenty of good used bikes to be had out there. Keep and eye out and buy the bike that fits you properly. Guaranteed not to fit you in 3yrs....I'll put money on it.

CdnRider said:
Well said Froze! I started riding less and less when i started driving more and more. I hindsight, I wish i had kept on riding....but oh well. Such is life.

I had a 500$ bike when i was 16 and a 500$ car. Now that I think about it....I used to ride my road bike (in full gear mind you), to girls houses back then a hell of a lot. By choice! Stayed in those times.....haha.....

I agree with getting something used in the 300$-400$ range for the time being. Test out the waters. If you're still into it after a year or so...see what you can spend then. Plenty of good used bikes to be had out there. Keep and eye out and buy the bike that fits you properly. Guaranteed not to fit you in 3yrs....I'll put money on it.

thanks for all the help. but its not like im literally just getting into this and wanting a bike. ive been into cycling for a good two years now, but all ive been able to use was my mom's crappy old mountain bike. im not just a jumpy kid with no sense of monetary responsibility

Chrisbnj said:
thanks for all the help. but its not like im literally just getting into this and wanting a bike. ive been into cycling for a good two years now, but all ive been able to use was my mom's crappy old mountain bike. im not just a jumpy kid with no sense of monetary responsibility

We don't know you or anyone else that post here, so we assume, and this case probably incorrectly, that you were a "jumpy kid with no sense of monetary responsibility" as most are at your age! If your not one of those type then you know plenty who are thus you know from which we speak.

Ok, so now that we've heard from you what are you prepared to do? Are you prepared to spend around $650 twice in a matter of a couple of years or are you wanting to get a larger size bike to anticipate growth knowing that you may be uncomfortable in the immediate future to obtain comfort later?

Do you have a LBS in your town? If so I suggest you go them and ask to ride whatever bikes they have for that price range then come back here with a list of 3 or so bikes you really liked and give us info on them and find out what we think. But remember, it's not really about what we think, in the end it's your decision, we're just commenting.