Road Bike - Approx $2000 - Recommendations????????

murcho00

Mar 24, 2006
Firstly i am of average proportions and am 6'2 and 82kg. It will be predominantly for fitness and weekend bunch rides at present.

Options:

1. Giant TCR1
2. Avanti Giro 20spd 105
3. Avanti Carbonio 18spd 105
4. Trek 1400
5. Orbea Udana
6. Trek 1500
7. Giant OCR Zero

or if there are any others i have not thought of.

thanks in advance

Trek has the Pilot 5.0. It is a Carbon (120) and has full 10 spd ultegra. It's a triple crank though. It's about $2200. They also have a Trek 5000. Bontrager Race double cranks and full ultegra. It's made of TCT Carbon. I truly have no clue what that is. Goes for about $1900.

Specialized, my friend, Specialized. Check out the Tarmac and Allez models, you'll like what you find. They're the only company I ride... been riding them for a few years. Wouldn't ride any other mutton-headed bike, not me.

come on people! really need some help... specialized don't seem to have very good equipment levels for the price..

murcho00 said:
come on people! really need some help... specialized don't seem to have very good equipment levels for the price..

I bought a Felt F75 for under $2000 and have been pretty happy with it. It's a mix of 105, Ultegra, and non-branded gear.

The Scott Speedster S2 is also pretty good value.

I think it is between the OCR zero, TCR 1 or a Trek 2100 for you. it depends what you want, better components or a better frame, the giants have all ultegra, the trek only has an ultegra rear derailluer (front too with a 3 ring crank) but has carbon seat stays.

Note: the ocr states it has a composite rear end, not sure if that means carbon or what but if it does, get that one.

OCR Composite is AUD $2300 from freedom machine. It ends up been the same price as TCR Composite 2. I might be getting one of those, probably OCR one but we'll see when I try them both in LSB.

have u got a link to freedom machine? every i look the composite giants are way more expensive.

also the treks in Australia are different to the US. TREK 1400 has all 10spd 105 gear and TREK 1500 has all ultegra.

ChangMan said:
Personally, I like the Specialized Roubaix.
What is it about the Roubaix? Why do people like it so much??? I can't and refuse to believe that some minor geometry makes that much of a difference!

G'day mate.

I shopped for a bike recently (March 2006). And most of the feedback i got then was that, for that kind of money, from the big brands whichever you choose, you will get a decent frame.

For a person with your height (6'2?) i'd stay waway from Giant, simply for the reason that compact frames don't look good on big guys. I was shown this, and kinda agree.

I ended up buying a Felt F60 2005. The frames are decent, and the gruppo is Ultegra (except for Tektro breaks, Truvativ crank and alx 220 rims, which are better than shimano 550 rims, i have been told and read). I paid $2000. I am very happpy.

Best of luck

You don't tell us how you ride, how much, on what kind of surfaces, etc. Important questions. That said, consider the following:

First, you are on the large size for a road bike. If you go for higher end racing equipment you may have problems if you put a lot of miles on her. Think hard before getting a carbon crank. You may well be better off on steel with widish tires.

Second, get yourself measured and look for the proper geometry of the diamonds to fit your dimensions as good as possible. eg if you have a long torso relative to your leg length you will want a bike with a longer top tube.

Third, you need to think about how you ride. The short wheelbases prevelant on many of today's bikes are responsive and fun to ride, but be careful going around corners fast, the back wheel can more easily come out from under you at high speeds. Longer wheel bases are better for longer rides, particularly if you ride alone and don't need to be manuvering in a group.

murcho00 said:
have u got a link to freedom machine? every i look the composite giants are way more expensive.

also the treks in Australia are different to the US. TREK 1400 has all 10spd 105 gear and TREK 1500 has all ultegra.
Odd. Here in the USA there is no Trek 1400.

rudycyclist said:
Trek has the Pilot 5.0. It is a Carbon (120) and has full 10 spd ultegra. It's a triple crank though. It's about $2200. They also have a Trek 5000. Bontrager Race double cranks and full ultegra. It's made of TCT Carbon. I truly have no clue what that is. Goes for about $1900.
TCT is "Trek Carbon Technology". It is a lower end carbon fiber than OCLV and is manufactured in China.