Road bike at Aldi $199

I saw one of these at Aldi last time they were advertised and the front hub
bearings were falling out. Ok so it was just the display model but the hub
didn't look like it sealed the bearings too well and there was not a lot of
grease to be seen.

It just looked cheap and nasty as opposed to a kmart or BigW just plain old
cheap, but not pretending to be too much more. I would like to hear the
experience of anyone who has ridden one any distance. If only to confirm my
prejudices are not misplaced.

Someone please tell me the bottom model Giant etc in a bike shop wouldn't be
far better value for money. I just can't see Aldi stocking something and
taking up valuable advertising space on something that generated less profit
than other stuff they sell. The only reason Aldi stock something is because
it achieves a certain profit margin. Not that Aldi is alone in that.

Wilfred.

news:[email protected]...

dtmeister wrote:
> Are those DT shifters? Or does is use those weird thumb shifters on
> handle bars like the road bikes that walmart in the US was selling
> stupidly cheap. Intrigued, cheap pub/train station bike?

you can be sure its a good one when the first and most
important feature is;
Two-tone black and blue

and its a safe with one of these;
Ergonomic handlebar with alloy *sleeve*

WTF!?!

kim

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:09:57 GMT, "Wilfred Kazoks"
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>It just looked cheap and nasty as opposed to a kmart or BigW just plain old
>cheap, but not pretending to be too much more. I would like to hear the
>experience of anyone who has ridden one any distance. If only to confirm my
>prejudices are not misplaced.

It is only $199 and it is unlikely that anyone in this group has a set
of pedals that cost less than that let alone a bike (I might be
exaggerating a little)

What do you expect for that price? even my el cheapo hybrid cost over
twice as much. But the Aldi is in the price range people want to pay.
I see more kids on Huffys and Dunlops than I do on Treks.

>Someone please tell me the bottom model Giant etc in a bike shop wouldn't be
>far better value for money. I just can't see Aldi stocking something and
>taking up valuable advertising space on something that generated less profit
>than other stuff they sell. The only reason Aldi stock something is because
>it achieves a certain profit margin. Not that Aldi is alone in that.

As for the profit margin I suspect this bike is sold at close to cost,
its a loss leader to get bodies into the store, you only have to look
at the queue on a Thursday morning at 8.50am to know how successful
that is.

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Kim Hawtin said:
dtmeister wrote:
> Are those DT shifters? Or does is use those weird thumb shifters on
> handle bars like the road bikes that walmart in the US was selling
> stupidly cheap. Intrigued, cheap pub/train station bike?

you can be sure its a good one when the first and most
important feature is;
Two-tone black and blue

and its a safe with one of these;
Ergonomic handlebar with alloy *sleeve*

WTF!?!

kim

"Reflector pack included!" where is the kick down stand !?

Kim Hawtin <[email protected]> wrote:
> dtmeister wrote:
>> Are those DT shifters? Or does is use those weird thumb shifters on
>> handle bars like the road bikes that walmart in the US was selling
>> stupidly cheap. Intrigued, cheap pub/train station bike?
>>

> you can be sure its a good one when the first and most
> important feature is;
> Two-tone black and blue
>
> and its a safe with one of these;
> Ergonomic handlebar with alloy *sleeve*

Well, of course it's a **** bike. My shoes cost more. But it's the first
Kmart style road bike I've seen since I was a school...

--
..dt

> On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:09:57 GMT, "Wilfred Kazoks"
> <[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:
>

>>It just looked cheap and nasty as opposed to a kmart or BigW just plain old
>>cheap, but not pretending to be too much more. I would like to hear the
>>experience of anyone who has ridden one any distance. If only to confirm my
>>prejudices are not misplaced.

Prejudies are bad for the soul, you're better off without them.

prej·u·dice
n.

1.
1. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without
knowledge or examination of the facts.
2. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments
or convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or
religion.
4. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived,
unfavorable conviction of another or others.

dtmeister wrote:

> Intrigued, cheap pub/train station bike?

Lots of second hand Repco Superlites and the like on Ebay for less than
that. Heavy and clunky, but altogether quite well built.

Travis

"Wilfred Kazoks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I saw one of these at Aldi last time they were advertised and the front hub
>bearings were falling out. Ok so it was just the display model but the hub
>didn't look like it sealed the bearings too well and there was not a lot of
>grease to be seen.

This doesn't just apply to el-cheapo bikes either, I bought a new Fuji
Touring bike in Sydney almost 2 years ago which cost me about $1,700 all up
with a few accessories and about 6 months later when i was trying to get
organised for the 2005 NSW BIG RIDE, I heard a scraping noise in the front
wheel and after investigation, I ended up having to take the front axle out
and repack the inside of the hub with grease..it was almost bone dry.
Because i had to hurry and pack the bike for the next days departure, i had
no choice but to use car grease,i know it was too thick but had no option,
but it worked,and the bike went very well all through the ride and then i
took it back to the dealer and complained about the lack of grease in the
hubs and they told me that it's normal and the manufacturers only put the
absolute minimum in them.......they then wanted to charge me to repack it
with the right bike grease which is what should've been in it in the first
bloody place and lots of it...maybe I should've waited till something went
crack and got it done under warranty.

I just think when you buy something that's a bit on the top end that the
last thing you should worry about is if there is any grease in the damn
hubs.

Cheers

DJ

DJ wrote:
> i had
> no choice but to use car grease,i know it was too thick but had no option,
> but it worked,

err, car grease or vaseline has been my choice for 30 + years. never
caused a problem. I dream of really needing "high temeperature" axle
grease {:).

All lubricants are a viscosity/heat trade off.
Even graphite powder has its disadvantages.

dtmeister wrote:
> scotty72 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> http://www.australia.aldi.com/
>>
>> Scotty

> Wow!
>
> Here's a link to the actual beast.
>
> http://www.australia.aldi.com/product_01/product_2137.html
>
> Are those DT shifters? Or does is use those weird thumb shifters on
> handle bars like the road bikes that walmart in the US was selling
> stupidly cheap. Intrigued, cheap pub/train station bike?

Is it a trick of the eye or is that rear wheel cactus?? Saw a few boxes
of these at our ALDI. The boxes alone looked like they'd been to hell
and back!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it a trick of the eye or is that rear wheel cactus?? Saw a few boxes
> of these at our ALDI. The boxes alone looked like they'd been to hell
> and back!

It looks a bit tacoed. :)

Was thinking about this bike and wondered how it compared to by Kmart
bike from school days. At the time I wasn't a cycling enthusiast, my
bike was simply transport - I really didn't think about the bike much,
it's just what I used to get around. I'm sure if I'd been into cycling,
I'd have soon realised it was ****. $130 ****. However, I didn't know
better and it served me just fine.

I'd suggest this bike would probably be better than my old steel Kmart
bike. It would be lighter, it's got alloy rims (instead of the rusty
steel ones on my Kmart special) and probably shifts better. Now that I
know a bit more about bikes, I think this is probably a **** bike. I
just wonder if it would still serve the purpose for simple transport
that my Kmart special did.

--
..dt